Longbeard XR vs Cabela's choke tubes

UpStateRedNeck

I keep thinking of doing some camo tape or something in that vein in my old Mossberg.  It's just a plain black synthetic stock with a black bird barrel.  Something to break up the outline of it.

Camo guns catch hunters, they don’t matter to game. If the bird is looking at my blued and wood gun it’s already way too late for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, mowin said:

Looking like a good portion of the pattern is hitting a tad left. More noticeable with the #5's. 

Agreed, not sure if that's me getting flinchy after a few shots, or just the pattern.  On the #6 at 40 yards i made my aim point slightly right, where the little x is.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Agreed, not sure if that's me getting flinchy after a few shots, or just the pattern.  On the #6 at 40 yards i made my aim point slightly right, where the little x is.

Don't think it's flinching. Pattern is consistently left.

I like the #5 pattern best.  40 or less, and he should be flopping. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mowin said:

Don't think it's flinching. Pattern is consistently left.

I like the #5 pattern best.  40 or less, and he should be flopping. 

Aim point will probably be 2 inches to the right, just outside the neck I guess.  Don't know if I'll ever hang up my old girl I've had since I was 12.

Edited by UpStateRedNeck
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Aim point will probably be 2 inches to the right, just outside the neck I guess.  Don't know if I'll ever hang up my old girl I've had since I was 12.

I've killed my share of turkeys using the Kentucky windage method. My late nephew's 870 shoots low and left.  I have to keep repeating to myself aim high right when I use his shotgun.  Basically have to put the bead eye level, and a inch right. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mowin said:

I've killed my share of turkeys using the Kentucky windage method. My late nephew's 870 shoots low and left.  I have to keep repeating to myself aim high right when I use his shotgun.  Basically have to put the bead eye level, and a inch right. 

I can't do this with rifles, if it's not dial'd in just right I lose my sh~..sugar.  I can accept it for my old Mossberg.

• Like 1

When I first got my 11-87, it had a bead and mid bead...Shot a little to the left. and I compensated and killed birds OK...Then after a couple of years I bought a set of Truglo fiber optic sights that mounted on the rib, similar to what Mowin  has on his gun..There was enough windage adjustment in the rear sight to allow me to adjust it dead on..Killed a bunch of birds with it, until my eyes went to hell and I started exploring optical sights as an alternative..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

When I first got my 11-87, it had a bead and mid bead...Shot a little to the left. and I compensated and killed birds OK...Then after a couple of years I bought a set of Truglo fiber optic sights that mounted on the rib, similar to what Mowin  has on his gun..There was enough windage adjustment in the rear sight to allow me to adjust it dead on..Killed a bunch of birds with it, until my eyes went to hell and I started exploring optical sights as an alternative..

Years back I leaned my Turkey gun against my car. I backed up and gun slid to ground and I accidentally backed up over it bending barrel bad.  At 30 yards I have to aim 8 feet to the left of bird.  But I’ve gotten good at knowing my left from right. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Years back I leaned my Turkey gun against my car. I backed up and gun slid to ground and I accidentally backed up over it bending barrel bad.  At 30 yards I have to aim 8 feet to the left of bird.  But I’ve gotten good at knowing my left from right. 

That reminds me of a story, although it doesn't involve turkey guns....

A fellow named Louie was bragging about his woodchuck rifle and all the long shots he was making with it.....Two of his co-workers were chuck hunters and  when Louie offered to go out into the parking lot and show them his rifle, they agreed....

Louie produced the rifle, which was a beat up 30-30 carbine with a cheap scope...

One of the guys looked through the scope and discovered that the crosshairs were missing..

He said ' Louie...There aren't any crosshairs in your scope..How do you HIT anything with it" ??

Louie replied.... " It's a real BITCH until you get used to it"...….True story......

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Truglo gobbler sights ordered!  20$, why not?

• Like 2

i love my red dots fo rturkey season. Looks like if you keep your shots under 40 you will be set sir!

I just rolled up some .410 shells to slam some turkeys with this season! Cant wait. Gonna try and reap one with it.

Also have 12 ga and 20ga rolled up and plentiful. Kinda nervous to shoot these 12ga 3-1/2" 2.5oz of Tungsten lol. my shoulder is telling me not to lol. They might just be decoration pieces for the cabinet 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Forgot my sharpie, first is generic Winchester 1 7/8 oz #5, second is longbeard XR #5.  Both at 30.  Added the Tru glo sights, I like em!

IMG_20200422_161417.jpg

IMG_20200422_161905.jpg

Looks like the first is right on.   Second looks like it's hitting low, but not as dense. 

1 hour ago, mowin said:

Looks like the first is right on.   Second looks like it's hitting low, but not as dense. 

Later examination showed me I had put the rear site on slightly offset to the right.  This is the longbeard XR #5 at 40.  So I brought it home and tweaked the sight back to the middle.  Gonna test again at 40 later this week.  Was happy with that pattern from the cheap Winchester rounds though!

IMG_20200422_162500.jpg

Edited by UpStateRedNeck

20 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Later examination showed me I had put the rear site on slightly offset to the right.  This is the longbeard XR #5 at 40.  So I brought it home and tweaked the sight back to the middle.  Gonna test again at 40 later this week.  Was happy with that pattern from the cheap Winchester rounds though!

IMG_20200422_162500.jpg

I see 9 pellets in the bone.  

If you're happy with that, stick to under 40, and smile as wide as you can when you post the photo. 

• 3 weeks later...

So, I'm in a quandary here.  What tube to use?  Here's 3 different chokes at 20.  Obviously I like the full choke pattern at 20 for margin of error.  The third with the red dot is the XR turkey choke.  ALL of them are shooting low.  I'll out all 3 at 30 in the next post.  30 is my limit.

IMG_20200508_170204.jpg

IMG_20200508_165441.jpg

IMG_20200505_132345.jpg

Missing this last bird is bothering me, alot.  Now to shoot I flipped over half onto my side, and I must have shot with the stock more in my bicep than shoulder.  Could that have done it?  Had to have been in the neighborhood of 30 yards.
IMG_20200508_170949.thumb.jpg.8810097798267d6548614ac10391f7b3.jpg
IMG_20200508_165715.thumb.jpg.d925c8989e1bb4378119f74fc6cfdb5a.jpg
IMG_20200505_132550.thumb.jpg.e56c349cb2d9089868455a1dbb02e460.jpg
Red dot all the way. Just know it shoots low

Call Me The Teflon Don

I may have missed something, but what sighting system are you using  ?   Obviously you need to adjust it  so that  your pattern is at point of aim...Shooting a little high  is  easier to compensate for than shooting low..All of my Brownings have patterned high when I aim them deliberately as when shooting at a standing turkey, but I learned to hold where the neck joins the body and did fine with them..Shooting low is worse because your bead is covering up your target...Either go to an optical sighting system or an open  sight that is fully adjustable...

• Like 2