How much ammo do you or should you keep on hand

Never thought much about it...But generally I keep 20-40 rounds for each of my centerfire hunting rifles plus components to load more..

I currently have about 1500 rounds of .22 LR ,  30 or 40 rounds of magnum turkey loads, about 100 rounds of duck/goose loads, 400-500 rounds of  small game/bird shells in  20, 16 and 12 gauge, and perhaps 500 rounds for my revolvers...

I also have  perhaps 200 rounds apiece for my various military surplus rifles since I hate to have a firearm in the house with no ammo for it..

I would say it depends on how many guns and calibers you have. For some of my less used guns I probably have no more than 100 rounds for some of my higher use guns that answer for me is well over 1000 rounds it’s a personal decision

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The correct answer is not to worry about stockpiling lots of ammo, but to have a gun in every caliber, that way you can shoot whatever ammo you find. 

See how often the simple answers elude us. ;) 

When I used to small game a lot and break clay, there was no such thing as enough...now I probably have a thousand rounds of misc. shotgun rounds ...otherwise a couple boxes would hold me fine, along with a box of 00 buck for bumps in the night....

.22s, some guys get out and shoot weekly, and go through a ton....myself, I love to plink, but don't have much chance anymore...still have probably 1000, 1250 rounds. Rifles, my main hunting arms that get regular use I keep on hand two hundred rounds or so. I shoot them several times a season, and reload for them all.

Handguns....Carry guns and the carry ammo for them, usually a hundred rounds or so loaded (again, I reload for everything). I reload target stuff only once a year, and at that time will crank out several hundred rounds.

Id like to have more that's for sure. I think at least a hundred or 200 per caliber/bore gun.. Which i am pretty close if not.. but still want more.. Getting all my reloading supplies as we speak.

The LAst month or so ive been grabbing a few boxes a week, and Just need a couple good readily powders and bullets and its go time.. 

I will say that whenever I read about a criminal that is arrested and there are firearms and ammo involved they always talk about the number of guns and the number of rounds of ammo like it was a  a small armory. At that point I just chuckle and think that my daughter and I could go through that amount on a good range session. 

• Like 3

Shooting revolves around hunting quiet a bit for me. So I keep enough ammo so that I can go shooting or hunting at a moment’s notice without having to go to the store to buy ammo.

But what I don’t worry about is having thousand of rounds of defensive ammo because I know that’s not how it will go. In a real fight one or two mags will be enough. 

And If I’m in a fight against professional soldiers I won’t last one magazine. 

• Like 1

Whenever I hear on the news so and so was arrested and they had 200 rounds of ammo, I think to myself, my god these people would think I am a terrorist. And I don't think I have enough ammo. I would bet I have significantly less than a lot of you on here.....

• Haha 2

On 3/27/2020 at 9:45 PM, Engraver99 said:

How much do you think you should keep on hand (other than the age old answer of ...like guns..you can never have enough...lol)

As the old master gun writer Jack O'Connor put it. "No man alive can be a really good shot unless be practices a lot. No matter whether he is a varmint hunter, a small bore expert, a big bore target shooter or just some guy that likes to burn powder, unless he shoots a lot he is not a good shot."!

I agree and subscribe to Jack"s quote above and literally practice what he preached so I use and have a lot of ammo for all of my firearms. 

• Like 3

Not much of a "prepper" myself and I really don't shoot much. I have around 200 rounds of .22 and some slugs (really just hunting rounds). I figure if the store's sold out or the price is too high on .22's, I don't need to be shooting anyways. 

However, if I can find some LR, I'm gonna try to get out and plink a little bit this weekend.

Edited by Splitear_Leland

I found a full box of rifle ammo in a corner pocket of my Jeep yesterday! Score! I’m going to attempt to order more if I can find some. I’ve got hundred rounds each for  2 rifles.  Misc slugs up the ying yang. Bird shot about the same. I’m set for a while except rifle ammo. Not enough to keep and practice with. 

9 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

I found a full box of rifle ammo in a corner pocket of my Jeep yesterday! Score! I’m going to attempt to order more if I can find some. I’ve got hundred rounds each for  2 rifles.  Misc slugs up the ying yang. Bird shot about the same. I’m set for a while except rifle ammo. Not enough to keep and practice with. 

I'm always paranoid that I left or dropped ammo in my wifes explorer during hunting season and she goes to Canada sometimes . 

Boy, I sure miss the days long gone where we would go out to an old gravel pit /whatever, and spend the afternoon plinking with the .22s, making cans dance, busting clay birds into smaller and smaller pieces, trying to set off lady finger firecrackers with a direct hit, etc. That and long days waiting out woodchucks and sniping red squirrels is where I learned to shoot.

• Like 5

I hope you all realize the anti-gun politicians, the overwhelming amount of which are Democrats,  are also wondering how much ammo we have and looking for ways to restrict how much ammo you can possess.

Don't think this won't come to pass someday, as long as we're stupid enough to keep putting these jerks in a position to do it to us.  Voting for ANY Democrat is voting for gun oppression.

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 5

A lot, and not enough. I shoot my carry gun a couple times a week sometimes only a mag and sometimes 500+. My deer rifles I shoot pretty regularly as well. Last year I shot a little over 3500 rounds from Remington pump center fires. Majority being .223 and 35whelens. I could carry those numbers for a few years and not have to buy/ reload a single round.

Ammo’s like stocks you have to buy it when it’s low because you know it’s going to go up and I don’t want to be without and I didn’t want to have to buy it when it’s high.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

A lot, and not enough. I shoot my carry gun a couple times a week sometimes only a mag and sometimes 500+. My deer rifles I shoot pretty regularly as well. Last year I shot a little over 3500 rounds from Remington pump center fires. Majority being .223 and 35whelens. I could carry those numbers for a few years and not have to buy/ reload a single round.

Ammo’s like stocks you have to buy it when it’s low because you know it’s going to go up and I don’t want to be without and I didn’t want to have to buy it when it’s high.

I should have bought a 7600 pump in 223 when they were made. Stupid mistake.

Do you reload for the Whelen??

If not they are pricey shells.

Love my 35 7600’s.

The 35 Rem carbine is a pleasure to shoot.

The Whelen bites a bit but not too bad.

• Like 1

I should have bought a 7600 pump in 223 when they were made. Stupid mistake.
Do you reload for the Whelen??
If not they are pricey shells.
Love my 35 7600’s.
The 35 Rem carbine is a pleasure to shoot.
The Whelen bites a bit but not too bad.

Yes, you should have, I have 2 one with wood and one with the adjustable M4 stock. They are by far my favorite guns I own for playing around, I wouldn’t want to know the round count on my wood one but I know it’s a lot, we’ll into the 5 digits. I’m sure it could use a re barrel but still shoots good enough for what I do with it.

I reload for the whelen, most of them that I plink with are basically a “gallery load” 100gn .38 round nose at 1000fps. I reload basically the same load for the 35rem but I don’t shoot them as much in that because they’re isn’t as many of them around and I don’t want to wear them out.

The 35rems are a joy to shoot!

The whelen definitely bites but the deer don’t seem to like them!

• Like 1