Anchor/Get on Target/ Release

nybuckboy

First 9 shots of the year at 25 yds. Trying to learn to shoot quicker. Anchor - Get on Target - Release  Not so much focusing on the perfect bullseye but rather the kill.  Does this make sense?

What is your routine?

768610AE-782B-4F1B-B228-5136BEC73ADA.jpeg

6D5FD3A8-065F-4C92-A91F-665B022B43FE.jpeg

D4C80A11-8712-4FFA-B7DB-32AC5044CC5E.jpeg

Edited by nybuckboy
  • Like 7

I have multiple targets 1 arrow at each , it's about the kill not groups, judging range is critical. Stopped shooting for groups several years ago breaking arrows, and nocks is way to expensive.. retrieve arrows and move targets a few steps in any direction and shoot again. Deer, turkey 3d targets, and a block or two. In fall apples thrown off deck 1 arrow each.. 

• Like 2

look where i'm aiming, hit anchors, keep just enough tension for a solid hold, focus on the target really hard, pin gets blurry, everything else around the target gets blurry, it's as if the point of aim starts to get zoomed in, release breaks at some point then. finally watch the arrow sail into the area where your point of aim was at. not really making the shot happen with back tension though. just a back of the mind applying pressure to the trigger. back tension is keeping that pressure right there where it needs to be. start to let up on trigger pressure or back tension and nothing will happen. then you'll be all over the place as you approach around 5 seconds bearing down and aiming. even if you shoot quick/fast nothing should be abrupt or not smooth when you release.

2 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I suffer from target panic so it's extremely difficult for me to get on target quickly .

if someone can touch the trigger without releasing an arrow they're better off than some people I know. sometimes helps to try switching coming up or down. also aim over and over until it's mind numbing but don't ever release. as soon as concentration, form, or aim breaks down let up though. also can work taking card board from back of packaging and tape a big circle of it covering the pins but not filling the whole guard. shoot with that like what they call "blank baling". depends on what part is the problem. I don't care who you are. if you shoot enough you're going to get it to some extent. ask me how I or much better shooters like Levi Morgan know though. lol

11 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

if someone can touch the trigger without releasing an arrow they're better off than some people I know. sometimes helps to try switching coming up or down. also aim over and over until it's mind numbing but don't ever release. as soon as concentration, form, or aim breaks down let up though. also can work taking card board from back of packaging and tape a big circle of it covering the pins but not filling the whole guard. shoot with that like what they call "blank baling". depends on what part is the problem. I don't care who you are. if you shoot enough you're going to get it to some extent. ask me how I or much better shooters like Levi Morgan know though. lol

I had a few lessons with a shooting couch and he worked me out of it for a little while ,as soon as it came back ,it came back . I have to force myself to get over the mark and hold there , if I can resist the urge to shoot I can shoot clean when I do release .

1 minute ago, Jeremy K said:

I had a few lessons with a shooting couch and he worked me out of it for a little while ,as soon as it came back ,it came back . I have to force myself to get over the mark and hold there , if I can resist the urge to shoot I can shoot clean when I do release .

it never really goes away but helps to shoot a throughout the year and every week if you can. it's a real bitch though. mine was different. pressure to trigger the release would increase in my mind but really it wasn't. then i'd get anxious in a hurry and collapse. i'd be like a duck. calm as could be on the surface but in my mind i'm kicking like hell to not drown. anyone can deal with it though.

9 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I know you meant coach   but typed "couch" and I spit my coffee ...  :pleasantry:Sorry 

• Haha 1

I used to have a target panic.  But always take a big deep breath before I raise a gun or bow at the range.  And I just burn a hole in the target and breath.  I'm not by any means a good shooter but I hit what I'm aiming at alot of the time.  It did come back bad 3 years ago for a year with my bow but it was a mixture of no faith in equipment and over thinking.   

For the main question is i stare at the target where I want to hit,breath,draw with my eyes always on the target,anchor,breath,release.  I can get my shot cycle off within 5-9 seconds would be my guess.

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

it never really goes away but helps to shoot a throughout the year and every week if you can. it's a real bitch though. mine was different. pressure to trigger the release would increase in my mind but really it wasn't. then i'd get anxious in a hurry and collapse. i'd be like a duck. calm as could be on the surface but in my mind i'm kicking like hell to not drown. anyone can deal with it though.

I'm off restrictions April 20th and can shoot again , i missed out on winter league this year and think im going to pass on summer league but i try to shoot the entire year. 

21 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

I'm off restrictions April 20th and can shoot again , i missed out on winter league this year and think im going to pass on summer league but i try to shoot the entire year. 

I actually like the way Grampy says it better: anchor... float the pin... release. I think the longer you hold the more chance of hesitation which is really what target panic is. Jeremy try this: Deep Breath - Draw back and anchor... float the pin onto the target... Release. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, nybuckboy said:

I actually like the way Grampy says it better: anchor... float the pin... release. I think the longer you hold the more chance of hesitation which is really what target panic is. Jeremy try this: Deep Breath - Draw back and anchor... float the pin onto the target... Release. 

My problem is putting the pin over the target . If i could float the pin i would have no problem. 

I hate threads like this.....I feel if I open one on AT or here I am going to magically get target panic. Just a nasty son of a gun to get rid of......my dad struggles from it time to time....he just blames it on being old..lol!
The poor guy will be shooting lights out and then all of a sudden will throw a clean miss at 25 yrds. And follow that up with two 5's and be totally bummed out. When he gets it he literally pulls back and soon and he hits his anchor point punches his release.....it's unreal how quick it happens.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

I hate threads like this.....I feel if I open one on AT or here I am going to magically get target panic. Just a nasty son of a gun to get rid of......my dad struggles from it time to time....he just blames it on being old..lol!
The poor guy will be shooting lights out and then all of a sudden will throw a clean miss at 25 yrds. And follow that up with two 5's and be totally bummed out. When he gets it he literally pulls back and soon and he hits his anchor point punches his release.....it's unreal how quick it happens.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Some days i have it under control and feel super confident and shoot good ,other days i can't shake it. 

55 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

My problem is putting the pin over the target . If i could float the pin i would have no problem. 

Floating the pin is kinda like making a figure 8 over your spot on the target . Float , relax and pull the trigger . 

8 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

Floating the pin is kinda like making a figure 8 over your spot on the target . Float , relax and pull the trigger . 

Except for the part where the pin stays below the mark and i can't bring it up . Ive tried coming in from different directions and it doesnt help . I'm switch to a different release as soon as i can start shooting again . I'll go back to doing the drills i was doing before .

8 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

Maybe you are over thinking and not relaxing . You might be putting too much pressure on yourself . RELAX ....

Who knows ,my target panic is small compared to some peoples , at most ill shoot a couple inches low . Most people would be OK with missing by a couple inches at 40 or 50 yards ,my goal is to consistently hit half dollars at 40 and 50 yards . I know it's possible when i'm on my game and feeling good.  

• Like 1