Anchor/Get on Target/ Release

nybuckboy

Who knows ,my target panic is small compared to some peoples , at most ill shoot a couple inches low . Most people would be OK with missing by a couple inches at 40 or 50 yards ,my goal is to consistently hit half dollars at 40 and 50 yards . I know it's possible when i'm on my game and feeling good.  

You’d be fine with [mention]The Jerkman [/mention] standards then. His goal is 1 out of 3 arrows hit a 15” skillet at 17 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Who knows ,my target panic is small compared to some peoples , at most ill shoot a couple inches low . Most people would be OK with missing by a couple inches at 40 or 50 yards ,my goal is to consistently hit half dollars at 40 and 50 yards . I know it's possible when i'm on my game and feeling good.  

Damn I wish I could be within inches at 40-50 yards 

If your bow is set up correctly and you get lots of practice in and consistency in your form you will be able to shoot within inches at 40 or 50 yds. It is no different than shooting 1" groups at 20 yds. 

I am not consistent enough myself,but on good days i get awfully close groups at 40 or 50.

On 3/28/2020 at 9:04 PM, Jeremy K said:

I suffer from target panic so it's extremely difficult for me to get on target quickly .

Not to sound like an ass but what is target panic? I'm not familiar with it. Buck fever I've heard of. 

2 hours ago, G-Man said:

Not to sound like an ass but what is target panic? I'm not familiar with it. Buck fever I've heard of. 

Really? I am amazed you never heard of it. So you draw back, anchor and you can not move the pin on the bullseye. Eventually you shoot when you are  as close as you can get. Sometimes punch the punch the trigger as well. 

It is all in your head...

2 hours ago, G-Man said:

There is different kinds , mine is having trouble moving the sight over the area I want to hit . I can move the pin anywhere I want right until the point the halo given off by the sight touches the mark and I freeze up ,like my brain will not let me move the pin anymore . Sometimes I'm fine and other times I'm not .

51 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

There is different kinds , mine is having trouble moving the sight over the area I want to hit . I can move the pin anywhere I want right until the point the halo given off by the sight touches the mark and I freeze up ,like my brain will not let me move the pin anymore . Sometimes I'm fine and other times I'm not .

I draw a fairly low weight 52lb, and push pull while looking at my target , I really dont have to move pin onto target more than a fraction in any direction. It's on target already..

56 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I draw a fairly low weight 52lb, and push pull while looking at my target , I really dont have to move pin onto target more than a fraction in any direction. It's on target 

People who draw with the bow pointed up drive me nuts !!! I draw the same as you ,the group of guys I shoot with all have high standards for archery accuracy ,I could take my equipment in the woods and harvest deer all day long ,its during league when an inch means the difference between 11 points and a possible 8 points that I'm struggling with.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

At the Academy we treat target panic like the corona virus. Stay home for 14 says and then never speak of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We might have to switch to the measures being used in India and just whack the person with heavy stick .

Don't Google it.....it strikes fear in me just reading this thread. G-man keep doing what your doing.......target panic makes guys give up archery!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

At the Academy we treat target panic like the corona virus. Stay home for 14 says and then never speak of it

How will academy address the coronavirus? Will Jeremy machine up negative pressure shooting cages?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

People who draw with the bow pointed up drive me nuts !!! I draw the same as you ,the group of guys I shoot with all have high standards for archery accuracy ,I could take my equipment in the woods and harvest deer all day long ,its during league when an inch means the difference between 11 points and a possible 8 points that I'm struggling with.

Well in the grand scheme of things , if you want to eat paper and score points  or just kill what your trying to .. I dont think a deer cares if you kill it in the 8 ring or 10..still a dead deer

Well in the grand scheme of things , if you want to eat paper and score points  or just kill what your trying to .. I dont think a deer cares if you kill it in the 8 ring or 10..still a dead deer

You want to be able to yell “SMOKED HIM!” And then hold your shaky hand up to the camera to show how invested you are don’t you?

• Haha 3

Only 6 mos till archer season starts, this thread makes me want to get the bow out and start shooting.  I've had bouts of tp on and off. Like others have mentioned, I find it helpful to do some exercises to beat it back. If it starts to creep back in I do this.  I nock an arrow and draw it back to aim but will not release the string.  I will only draw my bow, hold on the bullseye for as long as I can, then let the string down.  Doing this over and over helps.  It's a good idea to do this occasionally while sitting in the stand for long hours as well, to keep muscles ready on a cold day.

6 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

You want to be able to yell “SMOKED HIM!” And then hold your shaky hand up to the camera to show how invested you are don’t you?

Most of the time I see someone do that on a show it's an awful shot ,at least by camera angle..lol

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Mine is I tend to "send it" too quick.  Move the pin onto the target and touch it off.  Sometimes still in motion or without getting settled.  I have to slow myself down. I actually seem to do better when the deer have been in sight for a while.  If they just appear i tend to rush and then ask myself why i was in such a hurry.  Ive gotten better at it.  Although not sending an arrow the last two seasons am hoping for no issues.  

• Like 1

i have fought freezing just below the target myself . Basically your  trying to make your brain aim and work your fine motor skills making your trigger finger work at the same time and your brain says no. So go get a good adjustable release ,  set it so the trigger hits in that second crease in your index finger when drawn . Your finger curls over the trigger peg with zero movement from you finger . Your bows draw length must be set correctly to allow you to pull with your back and pull through your shot. Basically your shooting back tension with your caliper release. I have done this for years and my target panic has not come back ever. I tried a hand held release but I have tendentious in my elbows and after about 20-30 shots the pain would set in. 

I agree with nybuckboy one should draw get on target float the pin and shoot . But having sad that make sure one is pausing / floating your pin so that your not doing it so quick that your pulling a drive by/ snap shooting on your spot. Drive by shooting will cause one to develop target panicking also. 

Edited by rob-c