How does your garden grow

crappyice

14 hours ago, Otto said:

I’m not sure where Dicksville is :rolleyes:  but setting plants out in a week or two is way early.   You need to wait until all danger of frost has passed, usually mid-May or later in Central NY.  Maybe a little bit sooner in southern NYS. 

I've been planting lettuce and spinach in mid april for quite some time now. Yeah there's a risk, but the leafy stuff never seemed to suffer from it. I haven't even started anything but peppers (just because they take so long), and the leafy stuff. 

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Joy grow ships May 4 to NY. Does that seem right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biz, depends on what plant and your location.   We used to sell lots and lots of bedding plant vegetables and in CNY we would always advise people to wait until mid-May and look at the weather pattern to decide.  Some years you just have to wait.   Tomatoes in a container or pot can be outside during the day and dragged into the garage at night if you want to get a jump on the growing season.   If you put it into the ground and a frost is coming you can just cover up your plant with a blanket for a night or two.  In a small garden, it is easy to do with some stakes.    Early seeds can go in now - peas and beans for example.  

• Like 1

39d22533457e6bbb6d99e09e62c5de74.jpg&key=3fb911809b8a69fb2930b78ed1f8bd1d01827b229aaac04503b4f86f71c5e8e2

This is the spot I cleared last year for this project

Looks good...I started a shit-ton of cherry tomatoes and some eggplant and basil from seed if you want any of that... if not I’m bringing it to the woods to see if it will survive in there!

unless things change with this chaos going on local "farm stand" needs help, so i'll probably buy already started plants off him. Don't have time right now with work schedule and restarting construction at the house once this all breaks. Full garden isn't likely. pre started plants in 5 gal buckets on the back deck will have to be the route again this year.

• Like 1

Looks good...I started a shit-ton of cherry tomatoes and some eggplant and basil from seed if you want any of that... if not I’m bringing it to the woods to see if it will survive in there!

I’m gonna go with plants. I forget the name of the nursery in Mahopac on route 6 by the firehouse but years ago I had success with plants from them.

• Like 1

We ordered a couple blueberry bushes , 2 different varieties that will get us from late may til fall frost with a small vacancy in August. The raspberry got trimmed a couple weeks ago and have started growing leaves ,the blackberries are growing leaves and the strawberries are turning green again. Last year we were getting a large sized cereal bowl over flowing with berries every other day or so during the peak.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

39d22533457e6bbb6d99e09e62c5de74.jpg

This is the spot I cleared last year for this project

Jesus man, you could of at least cleared the area in a neat little box shape, why are your edges so wavy? My OCD is kicking in and I am highly disappointed in you. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Jesus man, you could of at least cleared the area in a neat little box shape, why are your edges so wavy? My OCD is kicking in and I am highly disappointed in you. 

100% that looks like some mess in my yard. I expected some nice edging material and such. SMH:bad:

• Thanks 1

my lettuce and spinach took off quite nicely in the starter trays and will go in the ground next week. Peppers are taking their sweet time as usual. Started corn, eggplant, beans, winter squash and cucumbers in their trays last night! Will probably add a tomato plant this year, eventhough i'm not a fan, the wife likes them.

x2, if i was closer i'd bring my edger over!

All my mulch beds are edged perfectly. This area was 8 tall pines. I had them taken down and new fence put up. That area is 6-8ft by 64ft, so I threw mulch down last fall to keep weeds away. Now I’m waiting for my poles and fencing to come to make it look nice. Trust me, my biggest concern of a garden is the aesthetics. So I need everything to be neat. Once I know the size of garden, the rest will converted into grass

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

All my mulch beds are edged perfectly. This area was 8 tall pines. I had them taken down and new fence put up. I threw mulch down last fall to keep weeds away. Now I’m waiting for my poles and fencing to come to make it look nice. Trust me, my biggest concern of a garden is the aesthetics. So I need everything to be neat.

Post pictures when it's done or I'm letting @scottslawn know! 

On 4/8/2020 at 2:04 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

All my mulch beds are edged perfectly. This area was 8 tall pines. I had them taken down and new fence put up. That area is 6-8ft by 64ft, so I threw mulch down last fall to keep weeds away. Now I’m waiting for my poles and fencing to come to make it look nice. Trust me, my biggest concern of a garden is the aesthetics. So I need everything to be neat. Once I know the size of garden, the rest will converted into grass

If there were pines there before, you should get a soil test, or at least throw down a bag of lime there. 

On 4/8/2020 at 2:04 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

You should check the PH of that soil since you took trees out of that area recently. I cant even get grass to grow where the silver maple was. 

Are you growing only tomatoes?  Soil may be too acid even....best to soil test.  There are inexpensive kits you can buy online or your local County Co-op Extension can do it. 

You should check the PH of that soil since you took trees out of that area recently. I cant even get grass to grow where the silver maple was. 

I know it has to be acidic because the pine needles from them used to change my pool chemistry. However, half the line of trees I grew grass and it came in perfectly (Kentucky blue). I once used whitetails institute for a soil test where I hunt. It was pretty informative.

Maybe ill buy some fast acting like to play it safe