How does your garden grow

crappyice

4 hours ago, Belo said:

Thinking of trying to put some in the ground tomorrow (Monroe county)

Still too soon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on what you are planning to put out.  But better to wait at leas a week and determine if it is safe after that. 

Thinking of trying to put some in the ground tomorrow (Monroe county)

Still too soon?

I am putting my tomatoes, cucumber and watermelon seedlings outside during the day to “harden” a bit...will still bring them in at night

• Like 2

I am putting my tomatoes, cucumber and watermelon seedlings outside during the day to “harden” a bit...will still bring them in at night

I’m gonna try Stuart’s farm in Ytown next weekend. They said they got everything I want and they start them from seeds themselves. Tomatoes still in greenhouse because potential frost

5 hours ago, Belo said:

What about corn that’s already like 4” high? And maybe green beans?

Corn and green beans are usually planted directly into the soil.  If you you put them in, just look out for potential overnight frost, you can cover with an old sheet to protect them.  (Not plastic) Or if they get damaged from frost, just replant right into the ground.  

ugh frost tonight. glad i only put 4 corn and 3 beans in. Will cover them tonight and the next. f this weather. hope it doesn't take out the stone fruit and apple crops.

I was gonna but this upcoming weekend but chance of 35 debtees at night on the weekend so maybe I’ll give it 1 more week and try for May 15-17. I’m opening the pool the 9th so that will keep me occupied anyway

• Like 1

We must be way behind where I am. The fruit trees and bushes are barely starting. I have my sugar snap peas in but they like the cold weather. I did plant sunflowers from seed but they won't be up for a few days so hopefully they are fine. This weather needs to change!!

Edited by biggamefish

27 minutes ago, biggamefish said:

We must be way behind where I am. The fruit trees and bushes are barely starting. I have my sugar snap peas in but they like the cold weather. I did plant sunflowers from seed but they won't be up for a few days so hopefully they are fine. This weather needs to change!!

I cut my raspberry and blackberry down to 18 inches before the season ,the raspberry are really starting to get some leaves going ,also the runners are coming up everywhere ,i have to take some out. 

Just turned my garden under first  time this year. Have a load of composted manure coming . Picked up my plants from garden shop. 18 tomatoes .24 peppers, 6 cucumber,4 summer squash,4 zucchini ,  grandkids want pumpkins which I will start from seed . Should be in the first week of June. 

5/13: I bought my plants today from Stuart’s Fruit Farm in Yorktown Heights. Mostly used Otto’s suggestions and went with:

2 jetstar tomatoes
2 Juliet tomatoes (grape)

2 cucumbers

1 green squash

6 bell peppers

1 jalapeño pepper

Small Tray of basil 

$34, seemed very reasonable?? That’s about 1 weeks worth of veggies at the grocery store, so if I can grow more than that I’m in the positive!

Do I have to plant today? When I do today/tomorrow I will put up my fence and pour some coyote piss Around it. My backyard is fully fenced in but I still see woodchuck, skunks, rabbits from time to time 

ECD621E2-56BB-42B3-940A-8807E25791F0.jpeg

25B6DEAF-6708-4F41-A781-13B71F3AAE8E.jpeg

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I'll probably plant later today. I have a bunch of tomato cages. Do I use them right away surrounding all 4 tomato plants? also, should i use two of them for the 2 cukes as well?

i was thinking maybe today too, but then heavy rain for us tomorrow means I'll wait till saturday i think. beans died again but the corn looks like it might have survived t

1 minute ago, Belo said:

i was thinking maybe today too, but then heavy rain for us tomorrow means I'll wait till saturday i think. beans died again but the corn looks like it might have survived t

we got some heavy rain coming too tonight, but also 80 degrees tomorrow (w/ T storms) and 75 saturday. I feel like it's a good time to plant and let it ride for a few days without watering.