How does your garden grow

crappyice

1 hour ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Got our first harvest last weekend with 14 fat asparagus spears (no pics). This is the fourth year and they are finally producing enough to bother making anything out of them. Looks like another 15 will be ready by the time I get home tonight. Freshly snipped from the garden is way, way better than the ones in the grocery store. On the grill tonight with olive oil mist and one of Bionic's spices. The question is which one? 

Sounds like asparagus is hard to grow? 

That would be a cool vegetable to have in the garden

23 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Sounds like asparagus is hard to grow? 

No, it's easy as can be. Just put the roots in the ground and wait til next year, and the year after that, and so on. It's just that the first years never gave me more than a few sprigs at a time, not enough to do anything with. I let a few plants go to seed each year and they seem to be really filling in now a few years down the line. I don't have a very big spot that I devote to them. So good though!

1 hour ago, Steuben Jerry said:

No, it's easy as can be. Just put the roots in the ground and wait til next year, and the year after that, and so on. It's just that the first years never gave me more than a few sprigs at a time, not enough to do anything with. I let a few plants go to seed each year and they seem to be really filling in now a few years down the line. I don't have a very big spot that I devote to them. So good though!

And it seems like they pop up overnight. Gotta check them often, like everyday when they start,  cause if they go long they seed out and get tough.  But they are so damn good. 

• Like 2

Grew a couple sunflowers in solo cups this was the best. Over 6 feet tall, it went in the ground yesterday. Eggplant looks like it has seen better days except for a few plants but my peppers look great. 

Corn and sunflowers from seed went in yesterday as well.

Screenshot_20200601-185304_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20200602-195626_Gallery.jpg

• Like 3

My garden went in Saturday.  It's been heavily  stressed with cold and wind . Plants weren't  real healthy do to being root bound in the little cups . Hopefully we get a few days of sun and little wind .

As of now I dont see any new growth  and leaves are yellowing. 

Grew a couple sunflowers in solo cups this was the best. Over 6 feet tall, it went in the ground yesterday. Eggplant looks like it has seen better days except for a few plants but my peppers look great. 
Corn and sunflowers from seed went in yesterday as well.
Screenshot_20200601-185304_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.5b43ece4c7ab6d46f2af825ca799b09e.jpg
Screenshot_20200602-195626_Gallery.thumb.jpg.57b5a4dd8dee2724c6b191e213edbc17.jpg

Looks like you got a Jack and the Beanstalk scenario playing out in your kitchen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Just had a heavey rain blow through down here . Just got the plants bedded/ mulched .Couldn't  have happened at a better time .

We didn't get a drop here in Dogpatch....In Campbell, right over the hill, a buddy of mine got 3/4" in his rain gauge overnight...

53 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Mother F’ers!!!!

b4a5de2e2abc56c05b9af4bd5845a54b.jpg

I watched a chipmunk attempt a pole dance on this cucumber plant. Bastid

Employ the bucket of death..Works great..Unfortunately,  the last few times I have tried to use it, a bear finds it within the first few days..After that you're dusted...They'll come back every day, tip over the buckets and eat all of the sunflower seed...

Never happened again. Dryer than a popcorn fart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah..how about now?!? I just had to chase down and wrangle my backyard table umbrella from my grill as we got dumped on something fierce!

• Like 2

Employ the bucket of death..Works great..Unfortunately,  the last few times I have tried to use it, a bear finds it within the first few days..After that you're dusted...They'll come back every day, tip over the buckets and eat all of the sunflower seed...

So I got one going...bucket with a ramp to a water bottle skewered by a heavy wire. Spins like a charm! Shmeared with peanut butter and the bastid squirrels lick that shat like you licking.....well...ya know!

Another very simple way to do it is to place the bucket  about 1/2full of water with a layer of sunflower seeds on the surface of the water... Place a ramp from an old scrap 1x2 or 1x4 leading from the ground up to the rim of the bucket.. Bait the ground around the bucket and the ramp with SS seeds and maybe a smear or two of PB....Chippie goes up the ramp, sees what he thinks is a solid layer of sunflower seeds and jumps in for his final swimming lesson... Works great if bears are not an issue in your area...Also works well on pesky red squirrels and mice...Grey squirrels are big enough to get out if they take the plunge, but they are not the pests that chipmunks and red squirrels are...

• Like 1