How does your garden grow

crappyice

Uh oh....basil got holes?!? Why and how can I prevent it?!)

ea8e5e18d4d100ab1057076363e13cb3.jpg&key=aa373639cfd95931505d5e93d096589291d8f347fa03fc4c3ea4346196d5e93f
67219c3c3e4874d764f872fb34c26725.jpg&key=780fba81063e9d02b86c709ba26c6413e6d84917663f373b67e7d14768465071

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can use Sevin dust or spray. But then you can't harvest for 10 days (I believe, may be 7 days....)
If it's only a few, just discard like Biz is doing. If it is a lot of the plant, i would dust or spray.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Here are some candy onions I planted in my high tunnel. They are much bigger than the ones I planted in the field. The biggest ones are about 4 inches in diameter. The first couple tomatoes got ripe yesterday in the tunnel.

20200707_130802.jpg

• Like 5

You can use Sevin dust or spray. But then you can't harvest for 10 days (I believe, may be 7 days....)
If it's only a few, just discard like Biz is doing. If it is a lot of the plant, i would dust or spray.

Just to clarify I don’t discard lol. I throw the holey leaves in with regular leaves for pesto. Should I not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

99135481ee4a1dfb2bb9f95741fe232a.jpg
d0e1e7e6df1b4b9c1de086ce8fbe0d5c.jpg
b3ded93f04f56fa3f95f761325bfd186.jpg

Garden is doing good. 300 gallon stock tank, which is how I tore my knee up.

Been eating bunches of leaf lettuce for over a week, tomatoes are coming along great. Planted late. Herbs growing great too. Basil, mint, thyme, lavender, oregano and chocolate mint.
af7a6033610b5816eb9c4baa3f2bb7f3.jpg

• Like 2

Just to clarify I don’t discard lol. I throw the holey leaves in with regular leaves for pesto. Should I not?

I won't tell anyone!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

d8623ef08417c1907a9c221a4e818fa9.jpg&key=3284297581f85d9136e07a72a6b443c6159a99095e35f7c2100a0b0e5736b72f

4 cukes & 2 zucchini’s harvested today, which brings my total to 5 cukes & 3 zucchini’s for the year

Your killing it on this vegetable garden thing! well done 

We haven't harvested anything besides some basil. We have tons of tomatoes growing but they are not even close to being ready yet. If I remember I'll take a picture when I get home. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Your killing it on this vegetable garden thing! well done 

We haven't harvested anything besides some basil. We have tons of tomatoes growing but they are not even close to being ready yet. If I remember I'll take a picture when I get home. 

I got a ton of tomatoes too now. but all green, a few borderline yellow. But I have 2 or 3 giant ones that have been massive for weeks and still green. maybe they won't eve ripen?

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I got a ton of tomatoes too now. but all green, a few borderline yellow. But I have 2 or 3 giant ones that have been massive for weeks and still green. maybe they won't eve ripen?

They will ripen. Tomatoes always seem to take forever to ripen and the next thing you know you are picking tomatoes every single day until the fall. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

if they are huge and starting to split - can pick them and let them ripen in the window.  They will still ripen just stop growing. 

And a good recipe for you.... slice a green tomato, egg wash and bread crumbs and fry it. then a piece of canadian bacon/bacon on it, an over easy egg, and some hollandaise sauce.  A version of eggs benedict with a twist.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

if they are huge and starting to split - can pick them and let them ripen in the window.  They will still ripen just stop growing. 

And a good recipe for you.... slice a green tomato, egg wash and bread crumbs and fry it. then a piece of canadian bacon/bacon on it, an over easy egg, and some hollandaise sauce.  A version of eggs benedict with a twist.  

i'm not a frying fan of anything except chicken cutlets occasionally. i feel like frying healthy foods (fish, veggies) is pointless. but thats just my opinion.

• Like 1

What size to pick on jalapeños? I got 1 plant with 8 jalapeños, a few of them are like 4” already

Wait till they get dark green or even let em hang till they turn red

• Like 1

11 hours ago, helmut in the bush said:

These Japanese Beatle traps really work 

5D618C2C-27BD-4DB6-96E3-E70BC98F6E8F.jpeg

Now's the time to put down Scotts Grubex. If you have that many Japanese beetles , than you probably have white grub infestations under the surface of your lawn eating the roots of the grass. Sometimes you can see the Japanese beetles fly up out of the lawn just before dark. That's all Japanese beetles are......white grubs that matured. Just my .02 cents.

Now's the time to put down Scotts Grubex. If you have that many Japanese beetles , than you probably have white grub infestations under the surface of your lawn eating the roots of the grass. Sometimes you can see the Japanese beetles fly up out of the lawn just before dark. That's all Japanese beetles are......white grubs that matured. Just my .02 cents.

I didn’t know that, learn something every day