How does your garden grow

crappyice

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Do you guys keep fertilizer garden even after it's producing veggies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't......I usually fertilize and rototill right before I plant the vegetables in the spring. If you can get your hands on some pure chicken manure....get it. It's much better than cow manure. But make sure you rototill your garden 6-9 months ahead of time because it will burn the roots and/or kill the plants. Or you can just buy the granular fertilizer and mix it in the soil in the spring.

• Like 1

My garlic haul for the year. I am actually disappointed, the bulbs should be much larger. I watered every week, but used a slow release fertilizer instead of my usual triple 10. At least I have some good bulbs for next year.
306221ec44899d830f4eb7ee17c78c45.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 5

If anybody enjoys mild easy to cook snack peppers I can't recommend these shishito peppers enough. I already have picked about 30 and the more I pick them the more that come in. I'm going to pickle some, if anyone has any tips I'm all ears.
Screenshot_20200713-182111_Photos.thumb.jpg.13bcdf5ddedbcf076b301ce0306d67ec.jpg
I have a pickling recipe for regular green peppers, should work for those too. Let me know if you want it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

btw, I gave [mention=3682]The Jerkman[/mention] a Biz Garden Cuke last night. When will he review it?
On the docket for today's crunchiness. Feels quite crunchy. Should pair Excellent with some ranch and/or salad and/or sliced and topped with a little salt

#LessOverzealousMods #WeWantANewMod

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

On the docket for today's crunchiness. Feels quite crunchy. Should pair Excellent with some ranch and/or salad and/or sliced and topped with a little salt

I expect you will love it. I, too, will be having a cumber salad for lunch today.

• Like 1

I expect you will love it. I, too, will be having a cumber salad for lunch today.
I'm not usually a big cucumber guy but when they are fresh from a garden they are damn tough to beat in terms of delicious vegetables. They are absolutely superb and I'm sure this one will rank right up there with the best

• Like 1

Homemade salsa with some pickled jalapenos.

Garlic and onion was store bought so there is that. Salsa was good but very mild, there is always room for improvement. I love cilantro and I'm very excited that my cilantro patch is coming through in spades. 

Screenshot_20200714-215451_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20200714-215445_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20200714-215457_Photos.jpg

• Like 2

Homemade salsa with some pickled jalapenos.
Garlic and onion was store bought so there is that. Salsa was good but very mild, there is always room for improvement. I love cilantro and I'm very excited that my cilantro patch is coming through in spades. 
Screenshot_20200714-215451_Photos.thumb.jpg.ed6fea1f9172d8bd04ccb3d0cbcde55a.jpg
Screenshot_20200714-215445_Photos.thumb.jpg.d21e9e83ef1db977092fcea7a56041a5.jpg
Screenshot_20200714-215457_Photos.thumb.jpg.71940c5fdcb1a4a0b1664295eb6a28e9.jpg

Care to share the pickled jalapeño recipe? I have a bunch of jalapeño plants that are looking good all of a sudden

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/13/2020 at 6:40 PM, Otto said:

My garlic haul for the year. I am actually disappointed, the bulbs should be much larger. I watered every week, but used a slow release fertilizer instead of my usual triple 10. At least I have some good bulbs for next year.

Did you buy the cloves from a nursery ? I might grow them again in the fall. 

Care to share the pickled jalapeño recipe? I have a bunch of jalapeño plants that are looking good all of a sudden

My wife and I do it using lacto fermentation, you should google it, easy process and tastes great

• Like 1

My garden was killed by the drought, and sun rays on our dark black soil.. I couldn't give it enough water.. even made a weed/moisture mat with dead plants to protect the soil.. Sun killed everything.. soil was bone dry even 10inches deep.. But after a couple good rains, and cooler temps, tomato plants and corn are coming back slowly.. Replanted my daughters cherry tomatoes and 4 zucchini plants .. that will be our garden for the year.. beside some snap peas that are doing well.. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

My garden was killed by the drought, and sun rays on our dark black soil.. I couldn't give it enough water.. even made a weed/moisture mat with dead plants to protect the soil.. Sun killed everything.. soil was bone dry even 10inches deep.. But after a couple good rains, and cooler temps, tomato plants and corn are coming back slowly.. Replanted my daughters cherry tomatoes and 4 zucchini plants .. that will be our garden for the year.. beside some snap peas that are doing well.. 

That stinks. The drought was real for a while. @Jeremy K didn't believe me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Water Rat said:

Did you buy the cloves from a nursery ? I might grow them again in the fall. 

Usually, I use the biggest and best bulbs from my season as my growing stock.  Most of the time, I just use what I grew as my growing stock. 

Last year I bought some additional growing stock from Harris Seeds in Rochester, NY to add to my inventory because I wanted to get the German hard neck style, as well as some purple gourmet garlic for roasting.   I made two mistakes this year, I didn't use my regular fertilizer and I waited too long on pulling some of the bulbs.  I will still have about 200 bulbs when all done (I share 1/2 half with a family friend) which is plenty.  I plan to get some Italian soft neck to add again this year.  Maybe 100 cloves or so. 

• Like 1