How does your garden grow

crappyice

12 hours ago, crappyice said:

Care to share the pickled jalapeño recipe? I have a bunch of jalapeño plants that are looking good all of a sudden

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/221961/quick-pickled-jalapeno-rings/

Super easy, I just tasted a jalapeno. Wow damn good. Super spicy but that is probably just my jalapeno. I added a little extra garlic but besides that followed the recipe to a T.

• Like 1

Here's an easy recipe for those who love cucumbers. Simply called "Cucumber salad".

Ingredients :

2 cucumbers peeled and sliced

half medium Vidalia onion

1/2 cup white vinegar

2 teaspoons of sugar

1 teaspoon of Kosher salt

1 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper

1 clove of garlic finely minced

1/2 cup of water

I put mine in clean Mason jars and refrigerate. Lasts a long time and goes with anything.

1 hour ago, Water Rat said:

Here's an easy recipe for those who love cucumbers. Simply called "Cucumber salad".

Ingredients :

2 cucumbers peeled and sliced

half medium Vidalia onion

1/2 cup white vinegar

2 teaspoons of sugar

1 teaspoon of Kosher salt

1 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper

1 clove of garlic finely minced

1/2 cup of water

I put mine in clean Mason jars and refrigerate. Lasts a long time and goes with anything.

Love cuke salad - never thought about the cold pickling method. Thanks for posting!

On 7/13/2020 at 6:40 PM, Otto said:

My garlic haul for the year. I am actually disappointed, the bulbs should be much larger. I watered every week, but used a slow release fertilizer instead of my usual triple 10. At least I have some good bulbs for next year.
306221ec44899d830f4eb7ee17c78c45.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Garlic is coming out this weekend... I cant wait!

We ran out about a month ago, and we've been using store-bought.   

On 7/14/2020 at 9:58 PM, corydd7 said:

Homemade salsa with some pickled jalapenos.

Garlic and onion was store bought so there is that. Salsa was good but very mild, there is always room for improvement. I love cilantro and I'm very excited that my cilantro patch is coming through in spades. 

Screenshot_20200714-215451_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20200714-215445_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20200714-215457_Photos.jpg

Cherokee Purple tomato? Looks like something close if not.

19 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

It sure was, and it began while we were in Alabama and took a toll on the plants and other flowers.. 

Anyone use miracle gro on their veggie plants?  

When i bought my veggies plants from a local farm, i was told they use miracle gro in their sprinklers systems.

• Like 1

It sure was, and it began while we were in Alabama and took a toll on the plants and other flowers.. 
Anyone use miracle gro on their veggie plants?  

I did this year mostly only on my jalapeño and eggplant as someone earlier suggested they like supplements

• Like 1

Thing are looking better since we finally got some rain.
A handful of watermelons and cantaloupe showed up already. Lots of tomatoes and of course squash harvests already.

Did score a jug of wild sweet cherriesyesterday, first time in 5 years I beat the birds to them. Dropped them off last night so I may have a cherry pie when I get back from pa.
,8818e5ab0d39f7b554378225205a14b2.jpg796d22eb003eaf97bfc3646261ae5f7d.jpg020169fa1c657de0efa404af05799da1.jpge58f224d61fde5ce44e3ea595ab8e7c9.jpg01aad61093b779723a92ea40fb0d2abf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Water Rat said:

The local forecast is calling for a heat wave starting Saturday.  Good for the tomatoes.

Is it? I thought they dont like extreme heat. I got a ton of green ones though already so maybe they will ripen? with today's on and off rain, do i let it ride all weekend with no water? looks like 95 degrees tomorrow through Monday

25 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Is it? I thought they dont like extreme heat. I got a ton of green ones though already so maybe they will ripen? with today's on and off rain, do i let it ride all weekend with no water? looks like 95 degrees tomorrow through Monday

I've always had good luck during heat waves with my tomatoes as long as it's not a prolonged heat wave. A few days is good enough for me. However my garden doesn't get full sun and I make sure that their watered. As far as watering goes , just stick your finger in the soil. That should tell you if it needs to be watered. I'm no farmer by any stretch of the imagination , but it's just my observations over the years of having a vegetable  garden.

• Like 2

I've always had good luck during heat waves with my tomatoes as long as it's not a prolonged heat wave. A few days is good enough for me. However my garden doesn't get full sun and I make sure that their watered. As far as watering goes , just stick your finger in the soil. That should tell you if it needs to be watered. I'm no farmer by any stretch of the imagination , but it's just my observations over the years of having a vegetable  garden.

But if Biz sticks his finger in the soil won’t his nails get dirty?!?

f215fe2f4639a2cab07866863e496c2b.jpg&key=d6e3238dd780de42800a5b87a7511c5f4163bf223b28d4f35b4301dc6eaddd5ddd1ebbda5b0066df4f5daac533bae976.jpg&key=b8cb34ea5c91f3e487dc9d8047528439a79dca3f356804fe775b431affeb7b5c

3 more cukes this morning. Here’s the YTD totals. Did I make my $34 back yet??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Still need to factor in your hourly rate for the labor, increased water bill, fencing, fancy beer cost for post-gardening!
Getting close though

• Like 1

Still need to factor in your hourly rate for the labor, increased water bill, fencing, fancy beer cost for post-gardening!
Getting close though

Not counting labor because I am enjoying it and at $2500/hour I would need to grow ginseng.

Water bill makes sense.

Fencing was $60 but I have so much leftover it will last 20 years.

Not counting labor because I am enjoying it and at $2500/hour I would need to grow ginseng.

Water bill makes sense.

Fencing was $60 but I have so much leftover it will last 20 years.

Man that must be some quality labor at those rates

#LessOverzealousMods #WeWantANewMod