How does your garden grow

crappyice

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

You don’t have bread crumb and oil and cheese in the house?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do. I'm taking your approach when i do it. not cream cheese or bacon. 

• Like 1

I need some advice on a late summer crop....

I have a 4x 8  raised bed ..Harvested the garlic  about two weeks ago, and there are some bush pickle cukes there, but they did not do too well and are about whipped....

What would be a good mid/late summer garden crop to plant there...I have done green beans in the past as a late season crop, but I already have pretty good crop of them ( pole beans) in another bed, and a guy can only eat SO many green beans....

what would a veggie ( or two) that I could throw in there now and have a ggod chance  of a decent harvest by say, mid September  ??

5 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I have a 4x 8  raised bed ..Harvested the garlic  about two weeks ago, and there are some bush pickle cukes there, but they did not do too well and are about whipped....

What would be a good mid/late summer garden crop to plant there...I have done green beans in the past as a late season crop, but I already have pretty good crop of them ( pole beans) in another bed, and a guy can only eat SO many green beans....

what would a veggie ( or two) that I could throw in there now and have a ggod chance  of a decent harvest by say, mid September  ??

How bout green onions

Pygmy, if you can get onion sets, I would use those.  Other choices....carrots, beets, collards, arugula, any other type of leafy lettuce, cauliflower, radishes, spinach.  

Will you be replanting your garlic in the same spot?  You’ll want that area cleared out by mid to late October if you do.  Actually, with garlic, you could go as late as November without any issues.  Mulch cover heavily. 

Second groundhog in about ten days. One trap I've caught two groundhogs, a coon and possum in two weeks. They are closing in lol

Peppers really taking off, pimentos and belle peppers starting to turn and poblanos are shooting out everywhere! Watermelons are twice the size of softballs. Tomatoes look small don't think I'll have the best results but I just fertilized so there is that. Bridge to Paris pepper look huge just need more of them.

Screenshot_20200725-185308_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20200725-204028_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200725-204024_Gallery.jpg

On 7/24/2020 at 9:16 PM, Otto said:

Pygmy, if you can get onion sets, I would use those.  Other choices....carrots, beets, collards, arugula, any other type of leafy lettuce, cauliflower, radishes, spinach.  

Will you be replanting your garlic in the same spot?  You’ll want that area cleared out by mid to late October if you do.  Actually, with garlic, you could go as late as November without any issues.  Mulch cover heavily. 

Thanks for the good advice Tony...I usually  do my garlic in alternative beds every year...

I love both carrots and beets fresh from the garden..In the past I have had good luck with the fat, short carrots due to my clay soil...I just always have planted them as a late spring crop and never tried them in mid summer...Now my challenge is to find some seed.....Many local places have sent back thier seed for this season....Anybody got any chantenay carrot seed they want to get rid of  ??

8 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Thanks for the good advice Tony...I usually  do my garlic in alternative beds every year...

I love both carrots and beets fresh from the garden..In the past I have had good luck with the fat, short carrots due to my clay soil...I just always have planted them as a late spring crop and never tried them in mid summer...Now my challenge is to find some seed.....Many local places have sent back thier seed for this season....Anybody got any chantenay carrot seed they want to get rid of  ??

https://www.harrisseeds.com/pages/search-results-page?q=chantenay+carrot+seed&page=1&rb_stock_status=In+stock

They are in Rochester, it will be quick shipping. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/24/2020 at 7:02 PM, Pygmy said:

My vote is for beets.  I just planted a small batch where my peas were.  I'm hoping for enough to pickle some.  

• Like 2

So I have literally three walls of trellised cucumbers - 6’ high - yellow flowers everywhere. I have picked about 12 already (yum) but the fruit production seem to stop as the vines/flowers are popping.
Am I supposed to do something to promote less vine growth and more fruit production?
fd882dcc0556286ecac0fce4a9773e57.jpg
1231483d438143472499ee0a7f47fb59.jpg

Crappy, what fertilizer are you using?  If you have flowers you will have cukes.  As long as bees are around.

Very little fertilizer on the cukes. Mostly some miracle gro on the eggplant and jalapeño every other week

Very little fertilizer on the cukes. Mostly some miracle gro on the eggplant and jalapeño every other week

Maybe because they are standing? Mine are all along the ground. 46 cukes so far and counting. There’s always so many little ones that each day more grow to harvest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If it is the standard Miracle Grow (20-20-20) I would use that every two weeks.  But the flowers should develop.   I have never done cukes on a trellis, but I don’t think that would effect the development of them. 

• Like 1

Today’s harvest. 4 cukes, 11 grape tomatoes, and 2 zucchini.

Must have missed that one zucchini for a few days. It’s massive. Oh well. Hopefully it’s still ok grilled

cb7abcc9b2a885d0efc30484f454db43.jpg

Today’s harvest. 4 cukes, 11 grape tomatoes, and 2 zucchini.

Must have missed that one zucchini for a few days. It’s massive. Oh well. Hopefully it’s still ok grilled

cb7abcc9b2a885d0efc30484f454db43.jpg&key=bb2525957e6adca65c4b235527aa28641aa81d366d0b47ce60b7f919117a06ad

Make bread, or fritters

• Like 2