How does your garden grow

crappyice

2 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Nope I have bought certified  sets . Part of them rotted  the rest  were very small.

The last seed I bought was from The garlic festival at Fox Run Winery north of Dresden..Probably didn't even have it this year...

Previous to that, I ordered it online from FILAGREE FARMS.... I got Sicilian Silver, and it was good seed and had a good kick, but I was a little dissappointed in the size of the bulbs/cloves...After that I bought German White at Fox Run and have using it ever since...Great flavor and some heat, and  very good average size for the bulbs and cloves..

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I have always planted mine the second or third week of October and had good luck..An old friend of mine (RIP) told me that anytime after the full moon in September was OK...  I have been using the same seed for seven or  eight years now ..I just save big biggest and best cloves for seed, and eat the rest....A couple of years ago I had a so-so crop and suspected my seed was losing it's vigor, I considered buying some new seed, but replanted my old stuff and last year my crop was super...This year it is s0-so again...I guess I'll give this old German White seed one more chance..

Your right about planting in the middle of October. It’s just that I didn’t want to bother gardening anymore at the start of hunting season. It also cuts down on the weeds the longer you wait to plant. Bad enough that I’ll be blowing leaves till the snow fly’s. Those damn red oak leaves hang on forever. 

• Like 1

My father (off of the boat from the old country) always said to plant in the first full moon of October.  But when we still had garlic sets To sell at the farm store he told a customer as long as the ground was not frozen, it could be planted!   I have actually planted in first week of December and it was fine.  I prefer an October planting though.

This year was just too dry I think and that’s why bulbs were small. I actually watered the garlic this year, but not enough.  I did buy new sets because my crop this year was half yellowed.  The rest of it was fine, but a little small.  I believe there is some fungus in my plot, so I am moving it for next year.  I will seed the old plot with winter rye and let it sit for a couple of years.

Jokingly, I told my friend that the German garlic may be stronger and bigger, but the Italian garlic was more flavorful and lasted longer!  

We re going to start whacking, stacking and drying tomorrow in CNY. And yes, I did feel a little inadequate after I saw this pic lol. 

This is just a hobby for me but check out https://agriculture.ny.gov/industrial-hemp for the latest NYS screw job on farmers and others who put up time, money and resources to try something new. 750+ new enterprises down the crapper because NYS couldnt administer a simple program. So they blame it on the feds. And these clowns want to legalize 420? Completely laughable. Where is that line forming again to leave . . . 

20200913_104800_copy_600x800.jpg

Edited by Enigma

We re going to start whacking, stacking and drying tomorrow in CNY. And yes, I did feel a little inadequate after I saw this pic lol. 
This is just a hobby for me but check out https://agriculture.ny.gov/industrial-hemp for the latest NYS screw job on farmers and others who put up time, money and resources to try something new. 750+ new enterprises down the crapper because NYS couldnt administer a simple program. So they blame it on the feds. And these clowns want to legalize 420? Completely laughable. Where is that line forming again to leave . . . 
20200913_104800_copy_600x800.thumb.jpg.b71951d53e5fc27348f5dac27f9b203c.jpg

Does it work for food plots ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the frost warning got a good amount of the garden picked tarped what I could still have a lot to finish growing and picking hopefully overnight temps will stay up for a little bit longer 
FE695AA0-B605-4D14-8188-C2E220455B71.thumb.jpeg.8264c828d17e48788b220a5abec5f404.jpeg

You sir just made me feel quite inadequate!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

You sir just made me feel quite inadequate!!!!

You must have seen the big zucchini in the back, (joke) my wife makes faux pineapple with the large ones that our kids love. We mostly do this to teach our kids how more than anything as we believe people have lost the respect for the most basic things people need and how things work and keeping the chemicals out of there systems is also good. We have a small hobby beef farm and our kids love to see a dead deer, we simply explain the basics from a early age so they can fully understand it as they grow up. 

• Like 2