How does your garden grow

crappyice

a4504126cc5678060e010147d86e48e1.jpg

With a little extra home time, we figured we’d start some seeds...eggplant, basil, jalapeño, cherry tomatoes (not in pic) watermelon, Cucumbers...watermelon and cucumber could have been started outside but whatever!!! Living dangerously!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

About eight different peppers, tomatoes, cabbage, lettuce, eggplant, basil, cilantro, melon (soon), parsnips, cucumbers, brussel sprouts, squash, potatoes, and corn. So far so good, I just bought a tiller that should arrive Tuesday.  I have a deer problem so fencing will be key.

20200328_145343.jpg

• Like 5

About eight different peppers, tomatoes, cabbage, lettuce, eggplant, basil, cilantro, melon (soon), parsnips, cucumbers, brussel sprouts, squash, potatoes, and corn. So far so good, I just bought a tiller that should arrive Tuesday.  I have a deer problem so fencing will be key.
20200328_145343.thumb.jpg.72b6072cd0b87455e4dd029ef9ba5f8f.jpg

That’s quite the setup!

We are thinking about a small garden this year. Definitely cherry tomatoes, radishes, peppers, string beans.

Radishes are a good idea. We did carrots once a while back but the ground was too rocky so they grew all twisted.

One year our favorite were cantaloupe - then tried it years later and got nothing.

• Like 1

Every year I contemplate it. But even being fenced in completely, I know I’ll get tons of skunks, woodchucks, birds, etc. eating for free. And I don’t want a big ugly wire fence. I have a spot that gets a ton of sun. Burns out plants/flowers, not sure what fruit/veggies would be ok with that?

25 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Radishes are a good idea. We did carrots once a while back but the ground was too rocky so they grew all twisted.

One year our favorite were cantaloupe - then tried it years later and got nothing.

I love radishes.  We didn’t have luck with carrots while growing up either.  I am seriously contemplating a small garden.  I am thinking 8x10 elevated with good soil added, fenced in.  I get a ton of bears here each year, so I am not sure what they will do to it...

My 30 year old cherry tomatoes are are just coming up in trays. Bell Pepper will be a while yet. I got some  sandy soil worked on the knoll  other day. The 75 degree weather today warmed the soil nicely. Just got the lettuce planted when a thunder storm with driving rain drove me out of the field. Buying out of the question,  so now thinking of leasing, LOL.

Looking to get my garden going soon. We'll start with 60 or so acres of onions then go on to about 180 acres of potatoes to go with a high tunnel full of tomatoes, 6 acres of sweet corn, a couple acres of squash and pumpkins and then we'll throw in taking care of apples and peaches too. Won't be long and it will be pretty much non stop till November!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Every year I contemplate it. But even being fenced in completely, I know I’ll get tons of skunks, woodchucks, birds, etc. eating for free. And I don’t want a big ugly wire fence. I have a spot that gets a ton of sun. Burns out plants/flowers, not sure what fruit/veggies would be ok with that?

You can set up a table and do a container garden , we had great success when we were living in an apartment with containers. 

You can set up a table and do a container garden , we had great success when we were living in an apartment with containers. 

I want it on the ground in a certain spot though. And I don’t want to water it lol. It gets fried in the summer. Maybe cactus? Lol

We decided to start a garden this year. We have half heartedly in the past, but have a difficult time keeping up with it. This year I am going to make some raised beds to help us out. I hope to get some beds for peas started this week, along with starting some cuke and tomato seeds. We aren't doing very much....couple types of tomatoes, cukes, peas, radished and carrots.  I need to track down a few yards of topsoil though .