backpack

fadetoblack188

whats everyones backpack of choice just for your daily whitetail hunts.  Nothing big just to and from your stand with you basic stuff for your morning, or evening hunts or both.

I like the alps stuff but i am trying to stay away a bit from realtree and feel they are all realtree... i would like just a nice tan bag haha. what are you guys using and what do you like?

• Like 1

I feel like most backpacks are just a bucket with straps , I would like something to hold everything in place so you dont have to dig for anything . Most people dont care for the term tactical but some of the tactical backpacks have pockets and holders for alot of stuff . I used a 5.11 midsized pack for a diaper bag when my son was young and it worked amazing . I was thinking of going with their smaller pack for deer hunting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just use a small fanny pack, or nothing at all.  On most shorter hunts, I can fit everything I need in the pockets of my Jacket and bibs.   In cold conditions, I clip my quart thermos of hot cider on the fanny-pack belt, or a canteen of water when it is very warm.  On longer hunts, I pack some snacks (candy bars, etc).  I also carry a folding gerber saw, rubber gloves, zip lock bags for heart/liver/nuts, a butt-out, and compass in the pack.  

• Like 1

I'm with Moog, Badlands. Can't remember the models but one is a small pack that I use for everyday deer hunting around here, and the other one is larger that I mainly use out west. Again, you can't beat the warranty. Buy it right the first time and you'll only buy it once! 

• Like 1

My wish list is a pack has a main compartment big enough for a heavey coat  smaller pockets inside for equipment  a smaller pocket for knife .. flashlight ...  small first aid kit  pen and tags  ...card reader  cards .... outside pocket with removable washable liner for scents. Water bottle/small thermos.  Bungie  straps to hold bibs/coat. Chest strap and belt .

I use the game plan gear leech, it bungees to the climber and then a strap it to my tree. When I’m not climbing I sling it over my shoulder. Game plan made some neat stuff but went out of business, I heard they were at the ata show though so may be back under new ownership

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've been using sling packs the last two years and like them.I have a tenzing 1140 and a sitka choke they are not for someone that carries a lot of stuff.If I want something bigger I use my crooked horn pack,but there out of business.I'm actually setting the crooked horn up for turkey hunting today.

IMG_2526.JPG

IMG_2527.JPG

I use the game plan gear leech, it bungees to the climber and then a strap it to my tree. When I’m not climbing I sling it over my shoulder. Game plan made some neat stuff but went out of business, I heard they were at the ata show though so may be back under new ownership

Interesting concept...doesn’t the extra weight still bother you? I like having my extra weight in front...maybe I’m just used to it there!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used a fanny pack for years but it's not large enough for every thing i want to carry with me. I do like the fact that it has 6 zippered pockets as i like to keep things organized. Makes it easier to find things quickly. But it's limited for space. I've been thinking of getting a backpack, just not sure what I want. The_Real_TCIII gear leech sounds like a great option. Not to big, and I like how it can be strapped to the tree. I also like having a water bottle easily accessed on the outside of the pack. My biggest fear is having to find something on the bottom of a large pack in the dark. I'll follow this thread to see what you all are using and weigh the pros and cons. 

Interesting concept...doesn’t the extra weight still bother you? I like having my extra weight in front...maybe I’m just used to it there!!!!

I don’t bring much. I’m always close enough to the truck that I don’t carry field dressing stuff for example. I typically walk out, shed some layers and head back in with that stuff

• Like 2

Like Moog, I have 2 badlands.  One big, one on the small side(can't remember the model names).  I need to get a 2 gallon sized, sort of a clip on / sling bag to throw my down stuff in this year for all day hunts.  Jacket and the pants are light ,but a little too space consuming to just throw in my bigger pack.  But I carry way too much crap with me when I go out.

8 hours ago, fadetoblack188 said:

whats everyones backpack of choice just for your daily whitetail hunts.  Nothing big just to and from your stand with you basic stuff for your morning, or evening hunts or both.

I like the alps stuff but i am trying to stay away a bit from realtree and feel they are all realtree... i would like just a nice tan bag haha. what are you guys using and what do you like?

If you want to stay away from camo; I use a Osprey stratos 24 in solid green as a daypack.

Fantastic back panel and shoulder  straps and a good belt too. Weighs nothing, like 2.5 lbs or close. Panel loader with good compartment for jacket and rain gear. Built in stowaway rain cover thats very good.

Also is a terrific airline carry on.

Check ebags online; they send out good discounts in emails.

I have a Badlands 2200.......well made and built for stout. But it weighs a ton ,way too big for day pack unless you plan on carrying animal out, but handles ridiculous loads. I'd buy a small bag from them if you want camo and need to buy from a hunting manufacturer. Myself I'm a looking for load vs weight and camo doesn't do anything for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t know what you guys are carrying to need a backpack? I bought one last year because I thought I’d like the idea but wore it one day and never used it again. Everything fits in my pocket for around the house and if I’m up north I carry a small wool fanny pack.

62c8094c83f1b0cb1ec31edf8e22e1ca.jpg
I’ll take the tags some day. More or less bought this for Samanatha to carry her own gear. Great heads by Moog. Paid a hundred bucks I think. She gets cold quick so time to man up kid . My prior backpack is a field n stream I’ve had forever. Couldn’t imagine the hours it’s been in the woods. I’d rather carry extra stuff and not need it then not have it and need it.

18 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I don’t know what you guys are carrying to need a backpack? I bought one last year because I thought I’d like the idea but wore it one day and never used it again. Everything fits in my pocket for around the house and if I’m up north I carry a small wool fanny pack.

The main reason I need a larger pack is to carry my jacket and bibs if it's cold out. I cannot make myself walk slow enough to stop over heating if it's more that 1/4 mile from the truck.;). 

I'm die hard Badlands guy. I have 3 or 4 around here. They are guaranteed forever and USA made. Just a few months ago I sent a years old and heavily used pack back as the seams on the shoulder straps were starting to separate. They called and said repair would not be as good so pick out a new pack. Sent me a new pack free of charge. Their customer service is second to none.

Pro tip. The 10 days before Christmas you can get a lot of their gear half off. Also keep an eye out for clearance items on their site.

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 2