My lab is on high alert

Al Bundy

My Labrador is barking at pretty much any noise. She’s sitting by the door often. I swear this dog knows something is not quite right. On a non related note, damn dog was snoring her ass off the other night. I woke her up multiple times, tried to get her to adjust her head. No luck.... made me think of an x girlfriend hadn’t thought of in years...  

Anyone else see this behavior, not snoring, in their pet?

23 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

My Labrador is barking at pretty much any noise. She’s sitting by the door often. I swear this dog knows something is not quite right. On a non related note, damn dog was snoring her ass off the other night. I woke her up multiple times, tried to get her to adjust her head. No luck.... made me think of an x girlfriend hadn’t thought of in years...  

Anyone else see this behavior, not snoring, in their pet?

I think there's more wildlife active. Squirrels, Chipmunks ECT.  If mine spot or hear a chipmunk, furniture flies when they run to the door. 

Dogs do have senses that we as humans can only guess as to what is going on in their head, when something is not right or normal they will react sometimes to things we do not have a clue is going on around us. Your Lab sensed something for sure, whether important or not who knows. More than once I have had my dogs make a fool out of me thinking they were doing something foolish.

Training a young English Coon Hound one night I got a bit of education in believing my dog. Earlier in the day I was going through some treeing drills with him, had a scented Coon hide on a rope pulled up high on the trunk out of sight. Got the pup up on the tree truck letting him get the scent and encouraging him to bark tree petting him up good and slapping the tree trunk, he was coming along real good.

Took him out that night for training on wild Coon hunting a in a cornfield, not five minutes after he had been cast it started pouring rain. I ran to the woods surrounding the corn field and got under a big willow tree so I would not get  soaked. 

So I am standing under this tree listening for a strike and here comes the pup milling around looking for scent. He then gets up on the tree I am standing under and starts treeing. Now "know it all me" thinks he is remembering his training session earlier in the day and is just barking tree because I am leaning against the truck ducking the rain. I encouraged him to get out and hunt but he was adamant  treeing on the tree I am standing under. For the heck of it I turned my cap light on and shined the tree and about 15 feet up there sat a Coon staring down at me.

Lesson Learned.:lol:

Al 

• Like 2

20 years ago, had a cocker spaniel do something I will never forget.  Was fishing on a bank at one of my favorite trout spots, with her and my other cocker who was a pup.  So I'm sitting there and she keeps digging in the leaves . She wasn't a digger ever but kept at it.  I tell her we to stop.  Then she goes back.  Tell her to stop again, she goes back. Yell at her to stop and I go over to spot to see what the hell she is after. Laying there in the leaves are my Dad's old split shot pliers he always carried.  I had lost them last spring and after my Dad passed i used to always carry them trout fishing.  Amazing. Damn well a tear came to my eye. Couldn't believe it.  She was sure insistent on those and showed me where they were. They had been laying there for a year..... I now have them hanging in my hunt and fish room with some of his old fishing stuff. 

IMG_20200329_121534622.jpg

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

20 years ago, had a cocker spaniel do something I will never forget.  Was fishing on a bank at one of my favorite trout spots, with her and my other cocker who was a pup.  So I'm sitting there and she keeps digging in the leaves . She wasn't a digger ever but kept at it.  I tell her we to stop.  Then she goes back.  Tell her to stop again, she goes back. Yell at her to stop and I go over to spot to see what the hell she is after. Laying there in the leaves are my Dad's old split shot pliers he always carried.  I had lost them last spring and after my Dad passed i used to always carry them trout fishing.  Amazing. Damn well a tear came to my eye. Couldn't believe it.  She was sure insistent on those and showed me where they were. They had been laying there for a year..... I now have them hanging in my hunt and fish room with some of his old fishing stuff. 

Now that's a great story.  Out of likes, so your getting this instead.....:drinks:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

That's cool

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, airedale said:

Dogs do have senses that we as humans can only guess as to what is going on in their head, when something is not right or normal they will react sometimes to things we do not have a clue is going on around us. Your Lab sensed something for sure, whether important or not who knows. More than once I have had my dogs make a fool out of me thinking they were doing something foolish.

Training a young English Coon Hound one night I got a bit of education in believing my dog. Earlier in the day I was going through some treeing drills with him, had a scented Coon hide on a rope pulled up high on the trunk out of sight. Got the pup up on the tree truck letting him get the scent and encouraging him to bark tree petting him up good and slapping the tree trunk, he was coming along real good.

Took him out that night for training on wild Coon hunting a in a cornfield, not five minutes after he had been cast it started pouring rain. I ran to the woods surrounding the corn field and got under a big willow tree so I would not get  soaked. 

So I am standing under this tree listening for a strike and here comes the pup milling around looking for scent. He then gets up on the tree I am standing under and starts treeing. Now "know it all me" thinks he is remembering his training session earlier in the day and is just barking tree because I am leaning against the truck ducking the rain. I encouraged him to get out and hunt but he was adamant  treeing on the tree I am standing under. For the heck of it I turned my cap light on and shined the tree and about 15 feet up there sat a Coon staring down at me.

Lesson Learned.:lol:

Al 

My Old Fat Father  told me " Always give your dog the benefit of the doubt"...."....

• Like 2