Squirrel Scopes

Curious what scope everyone is using on their squirrel guns. I'm going to be setting up my Remington 550 for LR this year, and ran across an old Tasco 4x32 in a bag of stuff, I really don't remember where I got it. I always used an adjustable x on my old 550 for squirrel, but when it was stolen, the scope went with it. Kind of interested to see what it's like with a fixed power. If memory serves me right, I always floated between 4x and 6x when I was hunting with shorts in my old 550.

I'm going to be sighting in my recently acquired Remington Model 12 for shorts this year and going with the iron sights, seeing as the peeps are bringing stupid money for those guns.

11 minutes ago, Splitear_Leland said:

I'm going to be sighting in my recently acquired Remington Model 12 for shorts this year and going with the iron sights, seeing as the peeps are bringing stupid money for those guns.

Why don't you run a ghost ring in the rear dovetail (not a peep, larger aperture and I set it as a lollipop with the front sight to not obscure target) Run that on one 22 and easy to hunt with at 50 yds if you shoot both eyes open. Less than 20 bucks as  Williams parts. Or has receiver been tapped?

Also have a 1.5-5x20 on one, and a 4.5-14x44 on another. 

3 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Why don't you run a ghost ring in the rear dovetail (not a peep, larger aperture and I set it as a lollipop with the front sight to not obscure target) Run that on one 22 and easy to hunt with at 50 yds if you shoot both eyes open. Less than 20 bucks as  Williams parts. Or has receiver been tapped?

Also have a 1.5-5x20 on one, and a 4.5-14x44 on another. 

I really don't want to drill and tap it. It has been drilled and tapped at the back of the receiver for a peep, but that's it. I know I could mount Weaver rail on it, but really, with it being over 100 years old, I'd like to preserve it at period as much as I can.

I think I can do well enough with open sights to knock a few out at close range with shorts. If I can't, at least I'll have fun trying :)

1 minute ago, Splitear_Leland said:

I really don't want to drill and tap it. It has been drilled and tapped at the back of the receiver for a peep, but that's it. I know I could mount Weaver rail on it, but really, with it being over 100 years old, I'd like to preserve it at period as much as I can.

I think I can do well enough with open sights to knock a few out at close range with shorts. If I can't, at least I'll have fun trying :)

You don't drill and tap for a ghost ring, you replace the existing rear barrel sight.

I wouldn't drill it either, that just lends to more/different options IF it was already done.

Weaver rail, wtf, on a period gun? Theres like 50 better options anyway that'd look better.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dinsdale said:

You don't drill and tap for a ghost ring, you replace the existing rear barrel sight.

I wouldn't drill it either, that just lends to more/different options IF it was already done.

Weaver rail, wtf, on a period gun? Theres like 50 better options anyway that'd look better.

I'll have to look into the Ghost Ring, never messed with them. I'd love to stay with a period peep, but they are bringing about as much as the gun at auction.

And yes, adding a rail/scope would be sacrilege IMO :)

Thanks for the advice!

I remembered where that old Tasco came from when I went to sight it in this weekend. Stinking thing was maxed out for elevation and still in the dirt at 15 yds. I don't know why I held onto a junk scope, but I remember pulling it off of a Remington 700 .222 that I had years ago because it was doing the same thing. Oh well, the rings are still good....

6 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Hahaha I thought this was a thread spotlighting me! Kidding
Good luck Lee. Not sure what I would use if going with a scope. I would use my Ruger 10/22 with stock iron sights but no rifles here (1C)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't go after you with a rifle SW, maybe like a Nerf Gun or Super Soaker loaded with apple cider vinegar :)