Spare magazine carrying

Team Hoyt

34 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

If i have fired my pistol out and its that bad, its only getting me out of there or to get to a real gun. 

That has little to do with it. There are several reasons to need a reload that have nothing to do with running out of ammo. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cas said:

That has little to do with it. There are several reasons to need a reload that have nothing to do with running out of ammo. 

Now I am curious what would a few of those situations be? I am not being sarcastic. Looking to maybe learn something.

I agree with Rob, the firearm is used to get to safety in most situations, not looking to engage. I know you could think of a million reasons/exceptions. If I need more than a mag full the second mag probably won't matter either. Carrying the gun and one mag is enough for me, and sometimes I don't even bother with that. Anyone who conceal carries a firearm everyday knows how uncomfortable and cumbersome they can get.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Now I am curious what would a few of those situations be? I am not being sarcastic. Looking to maybe learn something.

Malfunctions happen. In a high pressure situation things can go south quickly. A simple jam can be caused by an ammunition failure or a faulty mag. Sometimes a smack and rack will solve it. You might need to strip that mag out and replace it with a fresh one. Sometimes during a jam an operator error can happen, you might accidentally drop that mag and be left with an unloaded weapon. 

4 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

When concealed carry? Probably never. My philosophy is that reloads complicate concealed carry, and that I should be proficient enough to solve my problems with the first load...I keep reloads in my car/ hotel room when traveling.

How could a reload complicate your concealed carry? If your a righty, mag goes on left side. If you are carrying concealed you should be proficient with mag changes, and accessing jams or other malfunctions. 

I dont know what i could run into while im out, thats why i carry. I also dont assume the threat will always be a single individual. 

• Like 1

I have been CC for forty years...from 6" bbl Smith N frames to J frame Chief specials, full size military 9mm double stackers to PPK knockoffs. The gun you are most likely to have on you is the easiest and quickest to grab and safely, unobtrusively yet accessibly carry. My CZ75s and Berettas both had 15 round magazines...dang slim chance of needing a refill, but as I got more confident I am happy with fewer rounds with quality ammo and magazines that I know wont fail me. extra magazine, extra baggage. If I think I am going into combat, I am not going. Someone else wants to carry a mag, have at it. I don't mind. 

11 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I don't carry a pistol but now you all have me wondering if I should drag along a second friend with a blackbelt just in case Bill is not functioning properly!  Sorry Bill, all in good fun. 

Bill never misfires!!!! 

• Like 1

Clearly there are a couple of posts that are referring to either LEO &/or military training or situations. The other 98% of us are using CC to level the playing field or dissuade someone from causing harm to us! Wouldn't a little range time make you more proficient with your 1st mag's 6-10 shots?

I'm with Robhuntandfish, wouldn't square off with someone advancing on me with a weapon. Couple of well aimed shots and them I'm heading for high ground! Obviously a totally different scenario if it's an intruder in my home!

If you feel more secure carrying 1-2 spare mags, go for it!

Extra ammo is only one reason , a damn good one ,but just one. Most malfunctions are due to the mag , which is why we all practice ,tap, rack, bang , right ?  Also why many carry a spare , like the tire in your trunk .

• Like 1

On 3/30/2020 at 1:57 PM, Moho81 said:

Magazines get lost, mag releases accidentally depressed and fall out. 

Lots of malfunctions require the mag to be removed to clear them. It's not uncommon to end up losing 2-3 live rounds when that happens. If you're carrying a sub compact that holds 5-7 rounds total, that's no small percentage. 

General rule of thumb, carry at least one reload. 2 shot derringer or 17 round 9mm, doesn't matter. 

Edited by cas
  • Like 1