Aim small miss small

moog5050

Since my home office is now next to my 22yd indoor archery range, I have been shooting a few shots with the recurve every time I come or go.  I started by shooting at a piece of 4x4" piece of duct tape.  Was shooting pretty well so I decided to remove one of the strips.  Even though I thought I was aiming dead center on the 4x4, when I moved to 2x4", I learned that I hit the tape at about the same rate and windage wise my groups tightened up.  Even though I believe in the aim small miss small theory, I really was a bit surprised to hit a "bullseye" 1/2 the size of the first at the same rate.  Going to drop to 2x2" and see what that does from an elevation grouping.  I realize its a bit different with a compound since you have a pin to aim with precision but I found it interesting nonetheless.  The old saying is true.

• Like 12

Well 2x2 is definitely more challenging.  Shot a solid 3x3.25” group but only 2 of 10 in the tape.  That said, all would be a good shot on deer as farthest from Center of tape was 2” so no complaints.   Shoot 2 walk away and come back later for 2 more.  

gives me something to shoot for.   

D5FE1312-0BBA-4EFC-BCC3-A89F6F771CAD.jpeg

• Like 8

Great strategy for target shooting!

When I practice from spring till Sept I shoot longer ranges at the same targets.  Same principle you are using with reducing the target size in that the bull looks much smaller, and helps me keep the bow stable and aim better.  Shooting at a 3 inch bullseye at 60 or 70 yds makes a deer look huge when its at 25. 

I'm fortunate to have room to shoot out to 80 yds, but would do the same as you if I didn't

On 3/31/2020 at 3:56 PM, moog5050 said:

Well 2x2 is definitely more challenging.  Shot a solid 3x3.25” group but only 2 of 10 in the tape.  That said, all would be a good shot on deer as farthest from Center of tape was 2” so no complaints.   Shoot 2 walk away and come back later for 2 more.  

gives me something to shoot for.   

D5FE1312-0BBA-4EFC-BCC3-A89F6F771CAD.jpeg

You should call an exterminator...........you either have termites, carpenter ants or carpenter bees eating on that side support.

Nice shooting btw.  :)

27 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

You should call an exterminator...........you either have termites, carpenter ants or carpenter bees eating on that side support.

Over the years and even occasionally now a wild one is loosed.   I try to forget them immediately.  Lol.  But thanks for the reminder.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Moog’s basement is the most stressful place I have ever shot. Worrying about aiming, those 4x4’s. Then trying to watch the limb tips in between the floor joists. Lol. I was sweating bullets

I don’t have the joist concern.   You just need to shoot off your knees.  

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 4:32 PM, Lawdwaz said:

Darn you Law.   Your name was shouted In vain before the arrow hit the post.  

7E5B6B51-96FB-41BA-89D9-04272CC764CE.jpeg

• Like 1

Darn you Law.   Your name was shouted In vain before the arrow hit the post.  
7E5B6B51-96FB-41BA-89D9-04272CC764CE.thumb.jpeg.0af2e34b0f7ef57a3386458a1ecaa30f.jpeg

Are you trying to break arrows? That seems risky. I get nervous shoot 2 at the Bulleye. I hate hearing the click or any sound of them hitting each other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Are you trying to break arrows? That seems risky. I get nervous shoot 2 at the Bulleye. I hate hearing the click or any sound of them hitting each other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t stack em with a recurve like a compound.  Do I occasionally break one, yes.  But it’s not such a frequent occurrence that it bothers me.  When you shoot NFAA for score you shoot 5 at about the same size bullseye.  Just part of the game.  There is always some risk unless I start shooting them into the post (thx Law!) every other shot. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

Just part of the game.  There is always some risk unless I start shooting them into the post (thx Law!) every other shot. 

Exactly. We've all been shooting groups for years and years and years. Occasionally you ding and arrow. Or stovepipe one. Its part of the game