Boat battery recommendations

Steuben Jerry

I need to replace a starting/deep cycle battery as mine is 6 yrs old. Looking for recommendations for what to get. I see Optima batteries advertised but I know little about these type of batteries. Are they really worth the price? I could use a new dedicated trolling motor battery too. A couple of Optimas would be $600. That’s a lot of coin for batteries unless they are really, really worth it.

I have used many Optimas on vehicles and boats. Have a yellow top in our boat now. The yellow top is a combination deep cycle/starting. Blue top is deep cycle not geared for high draw of starting (better for trolling motor). I pay the extra for them as they don't contain liquid acid, for some usages I want that peace of mind. I've repaired several vehicles that the batteries have exploded in, acid everywhere. They can be mounted in other positions than straight up too. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

If the last ones lasted 6 years you're getting your money out of it for sure. 

I don’t really know its history, it’s in that boat I picked up last year. It was hard to keep a charge on it over the winter, and I see that 2/14 sticker on it. I purchased the trolling motor battery in 2015. Figured that’s no way to start the season.

BCF9C5AF-5214-430B-982E-9625704836F7.jpeg

Edited by Steuben Jerry

I use the Walmart deep cell starting and trolling on my boat. Work fine. I get at least four years out of em. Have used the Interstate's too. No problem with that either.

Just be sure to match the cranking amps on the old one, to the new one. You can go higher, but not lower.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I don’t really know its history, it’s in that boat I picked up last year. It was hard to keep a charge on it over the winter, and I see that 2/14 sticker on it. I purchased the trolling motor battery in 2015. Figured that’s no way to start the season.

Most batteries last about 5 years, including vehicle ones. So they were prob on their last legs.  

12 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Following along because I'm a big dumb idiot when it comes to batteries. I left mine in the garage all winter, did I ruin them? Should I get them tested?

We’re they sitting on a  bench or concrete floor? How old are they ? 

Edited by rob-c

9 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Following along because I'm a big dumb idiot when it comes to batteries. I left mine in the garage all winter, did I ruin them? Should I get them tested?

Should be ok Tacks if they are not too old. Just hook them up to charge on a slow trickle 2amp. Let them sit for 48 hours after being charged. Then test to see if they are holding the charge, If so, you're good to go!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

On the floor because I read that that is no longer an issue, one is two years old one is at least 5. 

Do you have a battery charger ? If so charge them up, then take them to auto zone and they will load test them for free. The 5 yr old battery is on the edge, but you may get another season out of it  if it load tests fine. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

InterState and Autozone batteries are both made by Johnson Controls.  It's a very profitable side business they have had for years.  They made most of the DieHards too. 

FYI

If you have a local Interstate distributor always ask if they have a blem.   There's nothing wrong with these other than a cosmetic flaw and they sell them cheap.  Like below half price but it's always luck of the draw as what they have.  Done it many times on a variety of batteries and uses.  Never an issue

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BigVal said:

I had an Optima deep cycle crack in my boat when it was about 30 degrees out,  I'd stay away.

I've seen some poor reviews on Optima, not an overwhelming amount, but for a $300 battery there shouldn't be the commonality of it not holding a charge in a year. Leaning toward Interstate as I have had good enough luck with them. The 5 year old trolling motor battery that I mentioned in the original post is an Interstate.

I figured I'd at least research the Optimas. It's been a while since I bought a marine battery, and the Optima looked like the new thing that I just didn't know much about. But $300, yikes!

• Like 1

I can’t remember the brand but I buy my boat batteries at BJ’s and have had great luck with them. Had optimas in the boat at one time and didn’t notice enough of a difference to make them worth the price. With 3 boats and 10 batteries, they get expensive. I try to rotate them out of the main fishing boat after 4 years and generally can get a couple years out of them in the dump trailer and the little boat after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I've seen some poor reviews on Optima, not an overwhelming amount, but for a $300 battery there shouldn't be the commonality of it not holding a charge in a year. Leaning toward Interstate as I have had good enough luck with them. The 5 year old trolling motor battery that I mentioned in the original post is an Interstate.

I figured I'd at least research the Optimas. It's been a while since I bought a marine battery, and the Optima looked like the new thing that I just didn't know much about. But $300, yikes!

You think Optimas are expensive? My son just saw a friend of his putting 3 lithium batteries in a boat, $2500. Everything is relative I guess. I use alot of Optimas. No problems with them. I have bought them at AutoZone. Easy to warranty if they did have a problem.

• Like 1

I have a 2008.....(yes, 2008) red top Optima in my boat that I use for starting, lighting and fish finder. It came with the boat and I maintain and store it in my basement each winter.  I'm not too worried about it crapping in the hay while on the water as my motor is only a 25hp Mercury and I can still yank it. (the motor) 

My trolling motor is a deep cycle Interstate about 4-5 years old......

• Haha 1