Opening day!

Nytracker

5 hours ago, Belo said:

there are some interesting studdies on the survival rate of a trout when not handled properly (photos and how they're handled) where the mortality is kinda high. Not disagreeing with you, but something to consider. 

https://www.luckytacklebox.com/blogs/fishing-tips/8-tips-to-properly-handle-trout

There’s typically a 15% mortality associated with C&R under average conditions. The fish doesn’t die right there but hours later downstream. 

Last season, I decided to stop releasing and only Catch-and-Kill to my need or legal limit. I was feeling that with militant C&R we were getting away from the whole point of fishing and the idea of “playing with food” was getting to me.

It meant a lot of not fishing and a couple of days were I would limit out in 15 minutes. But it did make me appreciate fishing again, the fish, and my time on a river. 

• Like 1

I always wait until things warm up a little more,another week or two here in cny. I never had much luck fly fishing early,except for one year,I caught a couple of nice browns nymphing. Not sure if they were holdovers or wild as they reproduce pretty good in that stream.

On 4/1/2020 at 11:06 AM, Nytracker said:

The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?

Just some wisdom 
This is not in any means directed  at anybody . If it's legal and you want to keep  fish to eat  then do so .

You could look at it a bit different. I like to fish but I eat fish. If you just fish to release them you are just stressing the fish for your own pure enjoyment. Isn't that a bit sadistic??

• Like 2

17 hours ago, left field said:

There’s typically a 15% mortality associated with C&R under average conditions. The fish doesn’t die right there but hours later downstream. 

Last season, I decided to stop releasing and only Catch-and-Kill to my need or legal limit. I was feeling that with militant C&R we were getting away from the whole point of fishing and the idea of “playing with food” was getting to me.

It meant a lot of not fishing and a couple of days were I would limit out in 15 minutes. But it did make me appreciate fishing again, the fish, and my time on a river. 

our rivers and lakes have also come a long way. The fear over polluted and tainted fish is mostly negligible at this point, and most of the guidelines only limit the big fatties like kings from pregnant and the very young.

Otherwise, trout and salmon are freaking delicious. Even the coveted bass is good if prepared correctly. I'm a meat eater, that's mostly why I hunt, and fishing is something I've only done recreationally but am getting more into lately as I learn how to prepare it better. 

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

You could look at it a bit different. I like to fish but I eat fish. If you just fish to release them you are just stressing the fish for your own pure enjoyment. Isn't that a bit sadistic??

I suppose you don't get any enjoyment from EATING the fish  ??...Kinda sounds like the same thing, unless you can't afford to buy your food...

3 hours ago, Pygmy said:

I suppose you don't get any enjoyment from EATING the fish  ??...Kinda sounds like the same thing, unless you can't afford to buy your food...

I absolutely enjoy eating the fish!! I don't eat them alive. They are dead at that point, hence suffering long over........

I also have released a lot of fish. I was just pointing out there is usually more than one perspective. And you bit

14 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I absolutely enjoy eating the fish!! I don't eat them alive. They are dead at that point, hence suffering long over........

I also have released a lot of fish. I was just pointing out there is usually more than one perspective. And you bit

And I BIT ??.. Exactly what were you trolling for ? Seems like I was doing the same thing...presenting a somewhat different perspective...

Hehehehe...No matter..I'm going fishing tomorrow...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pygmy said:

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Release to the grease......

• Like 2