Drop away rest

Red

I've been using a whisker biscuit for the past 20 or so years no real complaints about the rest but im ready to take the jump and switch to a drop away rest this year.

I want to keep it under $100. There's a couple of QAD and NAP drop always for under $100 with great reviews.

Is there a drop away that you guys would recommend?

I switched to a drop away few yrs back.  Believe it's a QAD.  Always used a prong style, so going to this wasn't a big leap. 

Just looked, it's a ripcord.  

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Splitear_Leland said:

I have a QAD Ultra Rest, and it works fine. I too came from using a Whisker Biscuit and didn't have too many problems once I got used to keeping the arrow on the darn thing.

Stop shaking.  Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I remember reading that the QAD and the Ripcord were like Ford and Chevy few years ago.  That being said, I went with a QAD, the only reason I chose this over the other, is the tech at the bow shop said the QAD disassembles in once piece from the main bracket, while the Ripcord has a spring in the housing that is known to go flying at Mach 8 into the next galaxy.  QAD is about 7 years old and no signs of slowing down.

• Like 1

The most popular one that I kept reading about on other sites was the QAD ultra and looks like a lot of guys on here like that rest as well.

Thanks guys I should be ordering this soon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

Just dont get the cheap hunter qad rest,i had that one. It has no brake and bounces back up sometimes and that is no good. I upgraded to a qad ultra and love that one.

I have the cheap one and i have no complaints with it. Been using it for 10 years 

9 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I have the cheap one and i have no complaints with it. Been using it for 10 years 

The foam on mine got worn away and my fletchings got marks on them from the rest. I had two different shops check the timing on the rest and it was ok. 

Maybe you got a good one? I have heard quite a few people say that the cheap one is known for bouncing...

I have various versions of QAD brand rests. Hunter (cheapest option), HD, HDX, and branded HDX. All work well and have not yet worn out through idk how many thousands of shots. Taking them apart at the shaft rubber end cap is not something you want to do but you should never have to. Bounce back (hunter model) and timing could be an issue but I havent had a problem. Even with my wife's bow that's slower than most of mine. I use the cable clamp just fine. No need to serve them into your cable.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have various versions of QAD brand rests. Hunter (cheapest option), HD, HDX, and branded HDX. All work well and have not yet worn out through idk how many thousands of shots. Taking them apart at the shaft rubber end cap is not something you want to do but you should never have to. Bounce back (hunter model) and timing could be an issue but I havent had a problem. Even with my wife's bow that's slower than most of mine. I use the cable clamp just fine. No need to serve them into your cable.

I’ve changed the cords several times and it’s a PITA but terribly difficult. One cool note: the down cable on my Elite is served down 3” below the grip, specifically to where they want you to connect the QAD cable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Good thing I'm sticking with my whisker. I actually have two drop aways I still gotta sell on here

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Whisker biscuit has its disadvantages. Whiskers wear out to an oblong hole if you shoot enough. The newer versions with more rugged whiskers on bottom doesnt allow you to turn nock for tuning and clearing cables as well. Vanes get beat to hell making you use the hair dryer more and more, especially with more aggressive offset or helical. In certain conditions the arrow being drawn across the whiskers makes noise enough to hear with close encounters. Not trashing them. Used them for years. Just better options now IMO.

• Like 2

I’ve changed the cords several times and it’s a PITA but terribly difficult. One cool note: the down cable on my Elite is served down 3” below the grip, specifically to where they want you to connect the QAD cable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Not difficult. Melt cord end to a point to feed it through with a small pick or paperclip to pull it from the center hole of the end cap. Honestly I've tossed the clamp right on strings directly. Doesnt seem to cut strings or move. Fine tuning and all that the clamp is easier to deal with in my mind versus leaving wiggle room at rest knob with other end served into cable.