Living With Regret

Just thinking about guns I wish I still had, and curious what everyone else regrets not having anymore (I know, super cheery topic).

I have 2 on my list. Both guns were stolen when our house was robbed years ago,  but one was returned. I really miss my H&R 999 Sportsman. Such a fun little plinking gun. 

The other was my S&W 29. Soon after we moved to NY I got a call from a detective in Illinois saying they had caught the guys who robbed us, and had recovered my 29. I didn't think much of it, but 2 days later, FedEx shows up with it. I would have figured they would need it for evidence, but I guess not. So, not having a pistol permit, I decided to take it back home to Illinois over Thanksgiving and leave it with my dad. I told him that if he could sell it for, what I thought was a ridiculously high price, to do so, and low and behold a week after we left, he had sold the darn thing. I'm not gonna complain too much, I doubled my money on it, but I sure wish I would have hung onto it.

I bought both of these guns from my uncle, more like a grandpa, and I think most of my sentiment comes from that. I still have some knives that I bought off of him, and some he gave me, but I wish I had those guns to remember him by as well....

Anyone care to commiserate? :)

DSC01494.JPG

DSC01483.JPG

Marlin 336c my dad bought for my brother in the early 60's. 

It was given to me, and after a few yrs, I wanted something bigger and better.  Traded it in for a Savage 110 .270. Had the worst piece of wood I've ever seen, but I bought it anyway.   

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, johnplav said:

@mowin   Wow... we were typing about savage .270 at the same time!

And both of us traded 30-30 for one.   Mine had that blondish, tan birch stock.  

Didn't keep that long.  Traded that on a Ruger M77 all weather in .270.  Still have it.

Edited by mowin

I had my first ever gun stolen out of the trunk of my car the day before opening day. A 20ga Remmy 870. It was the first gun I had taken a deer with. Sure do wish I still had it.

Other than that I’ve never sold a gun. Not that I have a lot but I’ve never seen the point. I figured I’d need them all soon or later. I hung onto a 30-.06 even though I didn’t have a need for it until this year probably 12 or so years after I won it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I've sold plenty of guns; ML's, shotguns, rifles and handguns.  Few are regrettable but one rifle, a left handed Remington 700KS .280 I wish I kept, sort of.  I loved that gun and it loved me back.....the really ironic thing is I bought my first in 1993 then sold it maybe in 2010 or so to fund a different gun.  THEN, a couple years later an internet buddy from Missouri asked if I wanted to buy the exact same .280 KS that he had so I did.  I only kept that one for a year or two when an opportunity came up for another LH NULA rifle, this one in .243 Winchester.  I peddled that .280 KS to help fund the NULA.

Other than that, I can't come up with any others off the top of my shiny head.

Yes and no for me . Guns are tools not to much different then a shovel or hammer . Awhile back I sold off some long guns I never used anymore my ML, Turkey gun and my Fathers and Grandfathers guns . I owned my dads and grandfathers guns for decades , never took them out of the safe , when my Dad gave me his , he told me to sell them and buy something I wanted . 

I have his WWII dog tags and the flag from his brothers casket ( Kia WWII ) those I’ll never part with .

• Like 1

I have sold a pile of long guns of various types to fund trips and other gun purchases.

I sold a varmint barrel 223 rem to fund first safari trip. Wish I had sold something else, because it was first rifle owned.

But I traded 7 others for the rifle/scope I took on that trip, best deal I have ever done.

Shit that whole episode has cost ridiculous amounts in subsequent trips and I don't regret that either. ^_^

• Like 2

When I lived in Arizona I had two older AK47’s

I gave them to my roommate when I moved back to NY. I wish I Had kept them mainly because I can’t buy one in NY now... oh well

None I am crying over, if I sold them I needed to usually to finance another better or more needed gun. That said, I do wish I still had my Mini 14. I only paid about 220.oo for it when Service Merchandise went out of business. Traded it towards...something. If I still had it I probably still wouldnt hardly ever shoot it. the other ones I wish I still had, funny enough are also all Rugers.

First, probably my stainless convertible Single Six .22, then in no particular order a 2 3/4 " stainless Security Six .357 mag., my highly personalized Super Blackhawk .44 mag, and my also "personalized" .357 Blackhawk.

Never sold any. Got quite a few now that have not been out for a long time. But I've given a few away to young or new hunters over the years. Most recently, my Savage Axis in 7mm\08 with Leopold glass, that went to my grandson. Killed my first rifle buck with it. But it means much more to him than me. It's an inexpensive rifle that shoots great. And you'd think it was made of gold to him.

• Like 4

I’ve bought and sold hundreds, still have a way more than I’ll ever need. I buy guns for 2 reasons, to make money or to keep. Keep ones don’t get sold, money makers go as soon as I find a buyer. Problem is I buy way more to keep than I do to sell. Now that person to person sales are illegal without an FFL it’s taken a lot of fun out of the buying and selling game so I don’t do it nearly as much.

• Sad 1

I don't believe I've ever sold a gun. But I did have a couple stolen.

I had a mint condition Savage 24 that I bought from a co-worker back in the late 80's. It was chambered in 22 mag up top and 20 gauge mag on the bottom. The seller got in some stupid legal trouble and was selling everything he had. IIRC I bought it for $75.00. Absolutely mint condition.

Wife and I went to a wedding reception in Scottsville with our kids around 1995. Wife and I drove separately and my youngest daughter and I were going to the camp right from there for a father/daughter hiking and plinking weekend. I brought that gun and a fairly new Ruger 10/22. I went out to the truck for a smoke at one point, and to my disappointment saw a pile of glass under where my rear window used to be. SOB took the guns, ammo bag, stereo, clothes, tools and even the cooler of food and drink we had in there. The Ruger didn't bother me as bad as the Model 24. The chambering of that gun was among the lowest production numbers of all of the different chamberings they offered at the time. Plus it was just a cool gun, very different. The 22 mag was very accurate. The cop who took the report said "that barrel will be sawed off within a day".

Ever since then I look specifically for this exact model/chambering combo when I go to gun shows. I've never seen one for sale. Still bummed out about it. Pic is not the same gun, just a pic I googled.

Edit to add; I just checked Gunbroker and they have one chambered this way. It's buggered up though and drilled and tapped on the side (ugh) for a peep. Starting bid of $650. I don't want one that bad...

IMG_9191__44969.1525997692.jpg

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1