My daughter the nurse

Rattler

Now I think I can understand how a parent feels when their child is sent into combat.  I hold back tears whenever I look at this picture. 

We don't have anyone else to watch the grandchildren and daycare closed.  She took an oath and abides by it. 

I have a job for the health benefits.  I'm only 64 so not yet able to get on Medicare.  I haven't told my employer I'm going to need a few days off each week for a few weeks.  We will see if they understand or turn out to be jerks.  If they don't accept the situation, I have to tell them it's going to happen, like it or not.  Wonder if unemployment will pay based on that scenario.  If not, I may be selling some nice firearms soon.

I do what I gotta do.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rattler said:

Now I think I can understand how a parent feels when their child is sent into combat.  I hold back tears whenever I look at this picture. 

We don't have anyone else to watch the grandchildren and daycare closed.  She took an oath and abides by it. 

I have a job for the health benefits.  I'm only 64 so not yet able to get on Medicare.  I haven't told my employer I'm going to need a few days off each week for a few weeks.  We will see if they understand or turn out to be jerks.  If they don't accept the situation, I have to tell them it's going to happen, like it or not.  Wonder if unemployment will pay based on that scenario.  If not, I may be selling some nice firearms soon.

I do what I gotta do.

You could try the FMLA  route . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Rattler said:

I do what I gotta do.

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/pandemic/ffcra-employer-paid-leave

• Thanks 1

Thanks.  I've been thinking about FMLA, but don't know how that goes.  I work Sat, Sun, Mon & Tues only.  It's a 4 day week.  I only need Mon & Tues off.  But it may go on for months.  I have vacation time I can take that will carry me for 10 weeks like that if approved.  Time will tell.

Dammit!  Now I'm out of "likes".

I'm working in rehabilitation and I'm considered "essential".  We are short staffed.  This whole virus issue really sucks.

Edited by Rattler

23 minutes ago, Rattler said:

Thanks.  I've been thinking about FMLA, but don't know how that goes.  I work Sat, Sun, Mon & Tues only.  It's a 4 day week.  I only need Mon & Tues off.  But it may go on for months.  I have vacation time I can take that will carry me for 10 weeks like that if approved.  Time will tell.

Dammit!  Now I'm out of "likes".

I'm working in rehabilitation and I'm considered "essential".  We are short staffed.  This whole virus issue really sucks.

Yep via the CARES Act. Its alot of protection - mostly with employers under 500EEs.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Steve D said:

:hi:Hats off to your daughter and all the health care professionals during these very trying times. I don't envy their grueling schedules and sacrifices they are making but sure do respect them.

Rattler , good for her ! 

Steve the schedule does suck IMHO, but after a few years you can often land a day job . My daughter works pre / post op. Straight days no ,nights, week ends or holidays. Since most elective surgery is put on hold , she’s home many  weeks , either on call , or working on required annual course work . Full pay .

The hospital is not putting her unit to work on the floors , to keep a group of RNs isolated from it , incase a large group goes out with it I guess . 

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

My daughters are both on the front lines of this pandemic my younger one 20 works at upstate Hospital in Syracuse and has had to help out with the folks that are infected my other daughter works at Saint Joe’s And their ER she is 25 both have to gear up like they are going to battle. Both are RNs and are also being recruited to go to Albany and New York City  I don’t want either of them to go the younger one lives with us the older one has her own apartment I just pray that we can get through this without any casualties anymore that is as quick as possible

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

10 minutes ago, Lomax said:

My daughters are both on the front lines of this pandemic my younger one 20 works at upstate Hospital in Syracuse and has had to help out with the folks that are infected my other daughter works at Saint Joe’s And their ER she is 25 both have to gear up like they are going to battle. Both are RNs and are also being recruited to go to Albany and New York City  I don’t want either of them to go the younger one lives with us the older one has her own apartment I just pray that we can get through this without any casualties anymore that is as quick as possible

God bless them and keep them safe!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Lomax said:

My gf is also at stJoe's, crazy stuff! Good luck to them 

• Like 1

Just spoke to my niece last night whose an nurse in the Bronx. She said the worst part is the fear on patients’ faces and their feeling of being alone without family visitors. She got reprimanded last night for holding some lady’s hand as she took her last breath. She’s got a little Brooklyn attitude in her and said to her superior, “So fire me!” and walked away to deal with the next patient. She also lives alone and can’t visit her family since she’s neck deep in this...real tough at work and at home alone for her and all health care workers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Yesterday my daughter tells me wearing the mask all day is like breathing into a paper bag.  You're rebreathing your own CO2 all day and it makes you feel woozy.  She's a unit manager and has to constantly support her staff and keep their spirits up.  Many are very fearful and worry they won't be able to go on anymore.  Nursing has always been stressful, (Mom was an RN) but I've never seen anything this bad.

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing so much, with so little, for so long, we are now fully qualified to do anything, with nothing!"

• Like 1