Practicing...calling

G-Man

Practicing .... just had to walk out to the road in near dark to tell the guy in a pick. Up to stop blowing his owl hooter and yelping.  The birds are roosted 100 yards off the road behind my house , they do this every year and eventually leave from all the road harrassment.. 

Practice all you want I told him at home or in a non hunting area.. all the land here is private and hunted..  he wasnt happy left in a huff.. swearing at me... wish I could close off the road as 4 residents own all the land on it... smh. A little common courtesy can go a long way..

• Like 3

I love this time of year. Every nimrod with an owl hooter,  peacock screamer, coyote howler or air horn is out trying to get a bird to respond. I get it. It s fun, you like to hear them react, pumps you up and gets you excited for the season. But hey man, you know, we still got a month to wait! Relax! 

I agree, very little common courtesy amongst some hunters. I rolled up on a guy last year mid April doing the same thing, in the evening, almost dark. "Whatcha up to?" I asked. "Just tryin to roost some" he says. "Just heard a gobble over there!". "You got your gun w you?" I said, cause you got him fired up and you ought to go kill him right now! Guy looks at me w a stupid look cause he doesn't understand the dig. I told him if he really had to kill one of those birds to come see me May 2nd and i'd take him up the hill and he could call his a@@ off then. 

Just part of the deal sometimes, "helping" people become better turkey hunters lol. 

• Like 1

Several years ago I hunted a property that the owner gave the neighbors nephew permission to hunt. I was doing some scouting, and bumped into him.  He said had video of himself calling in a few Tom's several times.  Of course my warning of educating the birds wasn't taken seriously. In fact he said I didn't know what I was talking about, and he'd have his bird in 30 minutes on opening day, and his second the next day.  

Well, halfway through the season, he had nothing.  The next day I went in late. Was walking out with a tom a hr later when he drove by. To say the least he was pissed.  Truth is I seen the tom walking down a field edge, and just waited for him to walk by. Never made a single call.  

Landowner called me wanting to know why I shot the neighbors kids  turkey out from under him.  After explaining everything, he understood and told the kid he should learn something about what happened, not be pissed.  Owner passed away the following yr, and the place sold to anti hunters. 

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1

We used to have domestic turkeys and I practiced on them.  It taught me alot about cadence and it was nice to see the body posture of the hens and toms when they made different sounds.

Good luck Bill.  That sounds like a good way to get your "fix" in.  

I have called in a few toms on properties where I work.  No hunting allowed, but I was there (with no gun) and had a diaphragm call in the truck.  

• Thanks 1

Yrs ago I called for some property owners.  They were seeing them in there fields, and could here them every evening and morning.  They wanted a close-up. No guns, just hid in the bushes mid day.  Called in a flock of 9 Jake's.  Man did they put on a show.   The wife still couldn't understand why anyone would want shoot one.  

• Like 1