Shooter?

Lomax

I've never been a horn hunter, and never will.  

I'm more about the hunt. I've let smaller bucks walk, only to take one a couple days later.  Archery, I'm more inclined to let one walk. Gun is more about filling the freezer.

Here are the other bucks A nice 10 and a big six that me and my son targeted Then this real tall eight showed up Two days before gun season so we passed everything else I like hunting but I like horns to

0CB122D9-0A93-4CE0-ACB1-5267FB68A99C.jpeg

C3EEB4A7-437A-4478-996E-F7253BB04EC7.jpeg

82ACF834-D3F7-4F67-ADCB-FB886B5FF4F3.jpeg

B6D581A8-8862-48C2-9364-70D7CB54C69E.jpeg

93C6FA42-090F-4F80-B146-2FBB093894CA.jpeg

B461E461-370B-4B29-94E5-4D5B12C1C120.jpeg

• Like 1

yeah he was a beauty we called him seal team six I had him at 30 yards in 2018 with a crossbow and couldn’t shoot them he was only a four pointer almost just as bad.  My son shot at him on First Tuesday morning of gun season eating in our beans 270 yards away and we never found him or got him on camera again☹️ I sure hope you made it

G -man , is right . Also one of my favorite posters , that just makes sense , what the property holds determines if it’s a “ shooter “ along with the hunters objective . 

I almost miss the days when we shot the first buck that walked by , and were happy about it ! The whole “ hit list “ and “ shooter buck “ leaves me a little uneasy at times .

• Like 4

I fill the freezer first, help the young hunters fill their tags, then get picky as the season winds down and the big bucks get smarter + harder to hunt.

I would let a first time hunter shoot the smaller buck, or any one of those legal bucks to get them back into the woods again.

SJC

• Like 1

looks like a lot of good bucks there.  Glad some of these folks have a "top 5" buck list, but most of us prob dont have those choices.  I might have a top 2 at each spot I hunt. Just depends on what you are happy with and the property you have to hunt.  For me it usually depends on how my freezer is looking.  If i have an early doe or two down then i will be all out for a big one.  Otherwise my typical buck is a 5 point.  

• Like 2

My favorite part of hunting season and spending time with family and friends in the memories that are created that is what is really about for me harvesting A mature deer is frosting on the cake.  In the early 2000’s I was part of a hunting club that the farmer was QDMing at first it was frustrating but we had great times lots of laughs and shout a few nice bux.  Unfortunately we lost that property and I was lucky enough to purchase a fixer-upper with some property that I couldn’t really afford In 2012 I began to try and manage it like our club did and relied on Cameras to tell me what was there and left the does alone for a while. The herd slowly build up and then I put food in in 2017 and since then relied heavily on the cameras and now try and manage to take more mature deer.  It has gotten better as seven of my neighbors are doing the same so management cooperation and of course luck help

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...