Shotgun Optics.

mowin

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

Tacks

I had a rail installed on my sxp.  Best part was the gunsmith screwed up which I didn't know - and they never told me -  until I removed the rail a year later (what the heck is that extra crooked hole).  Shop was out of business.  At least its covered by the rail.

I read on another forum that its to thin to tap

4 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Sent you pics but maybe sx3 and sxp receivers are different in a way that makes a rail not viable.  Or maybe the gunsmith should have tapped mine.  lol

18 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

There is a specific base and ring setup made by Weaver for autoloading-pump shotguns, it is a side mount utilizing the thicker part of the receiver so there is enough depth for the base screws to utilize plenty of threads and grab well. It is a very reliable proven strong system, and even though the base is mounted on the side the ring design puts the scope directly over the top of the receiver. Below is my Winchester Super X1 slug gun showing a 3X Leupold mounted in that fashion.

Al

2019-12-11_142418.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i had 2 mueller's. 1st was replaced under warranty and the glass broke on both, i think because I shoot 3.5" mags

https://www.amazon.com/Mueller-Quick-Shot-Rifle-Scope/dp/B00BRHOY34

I've been running this much cheaper bushnell for a few years now and no issues. What I did like about the mueller vs the bushnell is the auto-dimming. As we all know, there is a big different between 6:30 and 10 and it's nice not to have to fidget with the brightness. However, I'll take the reliability all day.

https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Red-Dot-Sight/dp/B07T92TD5L

19 minutes ago, airedale said:

There is a specific base and ring setup made by Weaver for autoloading-pump shotguns, it is a side mount utilizing the thicker part of the receiver so there is enough depth for the base screws to utilize plenty of threads and grab well. It is a very reliable proven strong system, and even though the base is mounted on the side the ring design puts the scope directly over the top of the receiver. Below is my Winchester Super X1 slug gun showing a 3X Leupold mounted in that fashion.

Al

2019-12-11_142418.png

I hunted deer for years with an 1100 20 gauge skeet gun with that a Weaver K 1.5  mounted in that fashion...

• Like 2

So, to ensure you choose the sight, we've chosen six of the best sights out there.
  • Aimpoint Micro T-2 2 MOA. ...
  • Bushnell Trophy TRS-25. ...
  • BSA 30mm Red Dot Sight. ...
  • Truglo 30mm Red Dot Dual Color Sight. ...
  • Field Sport Red and Green Reflex Sight. ...
  • Leapers UTG Tactical Front Sight for Mossberg 12ga Shotgun & Variant.
  • Like 1

Top-Rated Shotgun Scope for Turkey Hunting List:
  • Weaver Kaspa 1-4X24mm Turkey Ret Obsession Camo 30Mm. ...
  • TRUGLO Traditional Red-Dot 1x30mm Sight with 5-MOA Red-Dot Reticle. ...
  • Leupold 113867 VX-1 Shotgun. ...
  • Bushnell 751432 Trophy Riflescope, 1.75-4x32mm, 1" Main Tube, Circle-X Shotgun Slug, Matte black
  • Like 1

I have Nikon SlugHunters on both of my rifled shotguns. 3-9x40 on the savage 220 and a 1.65-5x32 on my 870 SPS SuperSlug. I much prefer the 1.65-5x32 scope as most of my shots are under 100 yards. 

2 hours ago, airedale said:

Al

2019-12-11_142418.png

Have you got a pic of the other side?

I’ve shot turkeys with vent rib barrels, iron sight barrels, fiber optic sights and now a scope. 

I did miss a turkey with a vent rib barrel. It was my fault I did not have my face down on the stock so I shot over the bird. The black iron sights are too hard for me to see. The fiber optic sights are fine. But I’m always looking improve my equipment. 

I do see much better with the scope but it does make the shotgun feel more like a big game rifle. I never tried and red dot type sights because I don’t like the idea of batteries. Knowing me I will have a dead battery and a huge gobbler in front of me. 

Hopefully I’ll be able to get out of Florida and do some turkey hunting this year and get a better feel for the scope.

• Like 1

I put a relatively cheap Simmons red dot on my NEF when I got it, because I had to! It shot about a foot and a half high! 

Hendot.jpg

Been thinking of replacing it though, because after 25 years I'm starting not to trust it and thinking it may be wandering. 

Edited by cas

44 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Finally an update!!!  I found a few light Green Fiber optics and being Frugal as always, I got out my Gorilla Glue. Drying  now.   Came out great. Perfectly Alined.  We will give it a shot this Spring. 

20200408_153733.jpg

You sure you're not related to Stormy?   

Have you test it out yet?  They look a little taller than a normal bead. 

• Like 3

I wish they made more turkey barrels for semi-auto and pump guns that had the cantilever style scope mounts, like many slug barrels have.  To me they make the most sense, but it doesn't seem like there are too many out there being made for many popular shotguns.  If you have the scope or red dot mounted above the receiver or with one of those side saddle mounts what are the odds that your gun will remain in zero if you remove the barrel for cleaning?  That set up doesn't give me a lot of confidence, thus I've stuck to the plain front and center bead open sights.  At least the gun will shoot where I'm aiming, and if I miss I will have no one to blame but myself.

3 minutes ago, mowin said:

You sure you're not related to Stormy?   

Have you test it out yet?  They look a little taller than a normal bead. 

I don't think I'd go hunting with those guns before I shot them.   Just eyeballing those fiber optic sights on to the barrel and thinking they are perfectly aligned doesn't mean they are.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I wish they made more turkey barrels for semi-auto and pump guns that had the cantilever style scope mounts, like many slug barrels have.  To me they make the most sense, but it doesn't seem like there are too many out there being made for many popular shotguns.  If you have the scope or red dot mounted above the receiver or with one of those side saddle mounts what are the odds that your gun will remain in zero if you remove the barrel for cleaning?  That set up doesn't give me a lot of confidence, thus I've stuck to the plain front and center bead open sights.  At least the gun will shoot where I'm aiming, and if I miss I will have no one to blame but myself.

I thought about that too, but the tolerance in machining can't be off that much to change POA that much. At least I wouldn't think so... 

I see some of the saddle mounts are polymer. I'd definitely would rather have a steel mount. 

1 minute ago, steve863 said:

I don't think I'd go hunting with those guns before I shot them.   Just eyeballing those fiber optic sights on to the barrel and thinking they are perfectly aligned doesn't mean they are.

I know gorilla glue is some good stuff, but I'd also be interested to see how they hold up.  Wouldn't want it to pop off walking through the brush and not know it until it's too late.

Bill, does that fit over the original bead? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mowin said:

I thought about that too, but the tolerance in machining can't be off that much to change POA that much. At least I wouldn't think so... 

I see some of the saddle mounts are polymer. I'd definitely would rather have a steel mount. 

I don't know.  I've seen enough play on some guns when sliding the barrel back into the receiver to make me wonder.