Carry your gun

Rattler

Can we use this thread to educate people.on the correct way to handle the situation if you were carrying? Speaking for myself ,I'm new to full carry ,I rarely do . Obviously they picked a weaker person to exploit for wearing a mask . If I'm leaving the store and they confront me ,at what point do I draw on them ? It seems the law is protecting scumbags like this more and more ,am I expected to be on the ground getting attacked before I'm allowed to shoot one of them ? I can already see the situation where you draw on them right away and then get arrested for pulling a gun on 4 "young innocent children"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OtiscoPaul said:

If they beat her why no assault charges...

Weird that a story from such a non-biased news source would contain contradictory info

I was wondering the same thing... but I think assault during the attack is what bumped it up to second degree.   

Can we use this thread to educate people.on the correct way to handle the situation if you were carrying? Speaking for myself ,I'm new to full carry ,I rarely do . Obviously they picked a weaker person to exploit for wearing a mask . If I'm leaving the store and they confront me ,at what point do I draw on them ? It seems the law is protecting scumbags like this more and more ,am I expected to be on the ground getting attacked before I'm allowed to shoot one of them ? I can already see the situation where you draw on them right away and then get arrested for pulling a gun on 4 "young innocent children"

I’m not saying you won’t have legal fees up the ass but the minute you feel your life is threatened you absolutely can draw your weapon. If you’re unable to convey the threat you felt to the judge then you’re F***ed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey...I'm 70 years old and on blood thinners....A  punch to my head could be just as dangerous to me as a gunshot or knife wound... If I'm threatened, I WILL defend myself with whatever means available..'Nuff sed....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If I feel something is going on, we all know that feeling, I retrieve my pistol from where ever it’s hiding without much fanfare and hold it behind my leg/ back hopefully without alerting the possible bad guys.

No reason to telegraph your move but no reason not to make ready if you think something is going on.

My next move, calling 911, retreating, taking cover or brandishing my pistol would depend on how the situation develops.

To me in a perfect world the bad guy or guys would find out I’m armed when it’s too late. 

I had someone in Florida follow me into a gas station angry that I made what he thought was a illegal turn. I did not know that he followed me until he pulled up next to me at the pump blocking my car in. As I was exiting the car I realized that he was exiting his car while threatening me. I removed my pistol from my pocket and held it behind my leg while at the same time using the car door as cover. 

He threatened to kill me calling me a fucking yankee and finally his wife said to him get in the car because this guy, meaning me, is no joke he has a gun and will kill you. He got very quiet and I told him to have a good day. 

She gave her husband very good advice. I waited until they left put my pistol in my back pocket gassed up the car and left.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Team Hoyt said:

Rather be carrying hoping nothing happens,  then have something happen and wish I was carrying

That happened to me many years ago...I did not have the option of carrying, being in NYC and in employ of Uncle Sam...

Fortunately, a patrol car carrying not one but FOUR of Brooklyn's finest came down the street and rescued my sorry ass and my buddy...

That was in 1971....I swore after that  if I had any control over the situation, I would NEVER be in the position of needing a firearm and not having one.....

• Like 2

If I feel something is going on, we all know that feeling, I retrieve my pistol from where ever it’s hiding without much fanfare and hold it behind my leg/ back hopefully without alerting the possible bad guys.

No reason to telegraph your move but no reason not to make ready if you think something is going on.

My next move, calling 911, retreating, taking cover or brandishing my pistol would depend on how the situation develops.

To me in a perfect world the bad guy or guys would find out I’m armed when it’s too late. 

I had someone in Florida follow me into a gas station angry that I made what he thought was a illegal turn. I did not know that he followed me until he pulled up next to me at the pump blocking my car in. As I was exiting the car I realized that he was exiting his car while threatening me. I removed my pistol from my pocket and held it behind my leg while at the same time using the car door as cover. 

He threatened to kill me calling me a fucking yankee and finally his wife said to him get in the car because this guy, meaning me, is no joke he has a gun and will kill you. He got very quiet and I told him to have a good day. 

She gave her husband very good advice. I waited until they left put my pistol in my back pocket gassed up the car and left.

To each’s own, but I’m not drawing unless I’m planning on killing someone. Not to say I can’t/won’t change my mind between the draw and the squeeze but drawing before imminent threat has been shown puts you in a lot of undue risk both legally and physically. I don’t want a threat to know I’m armed until they’re starring down the barrel.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

To each’s own, but I’m not drawing unless I’m planning on killing someone. Not to say I can’t/won’t change my bind between the draw and the squeeze but drawing before imminent threat has been shown puts you in a lot of undue risk both legally and physically. I don’t want a threat to know I’m armed until they’re starring down the barrel.

X2. I hope im never in a situation that comes to that. But i feel like once you draw, thats it. 

2 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Hey...I'm 70 years old and on blood thinners....A  punch to my head could be just as dangerous to me as a gunshot or knife wound... If I'm threatened, I WILL defend myself with whatever means available..'Nuff sed....

Dan I have a feeling you could take a punch better than any of us 

19 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

I carry often on Secluded Hikes.  Weird situation 3 times in the last 4 weeks even on the well used Heritage Trail. I passed the same guy Twice and he gave me this really weird Evil Smile as he passed. Both hands in the pockets of his Black Jacket mind you. I usually don't carry on the Heritage Trail. Saw the same guy about 5 days ago bout 200 yards out. Same Black Jacket. White guy in his late 40s or early 50s , dark hair,5,10" and over 200lbs. Only this time he recognized me also from a distance.  What was weird this time as he was about 50 yards away--- he looked up and around on the Left Bank to see how far away the houses were above him and then looked to the right at the Townhouses of " Hidden Creek".   Hands still in both Pockets as he passed. We held each other's gaze again. This time-- no Sly Smile- just an angry look.    Probably nothing at all - just a weird Dude- but that " look up + around" had me on red alert.    Just a stupid hiking story because, I am bored.

He may think you're cute, Bill.....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

To each’s own, but I’m not drawing unless I’m planning on killing someone. Not to say I can’t/won’t change my mind between the draw and the squeeze but drawing before imminent threat has been shown puts you in a lot of undue risk both legally and physically. I don’t want a threat to know I’m armed until they’re starring down the barrel.

Well yes you should make your own decision. But If you read my post I’m saying make your gun available, not brandishing, not pointing at the person. 

Waiting until the very last minute to deploy your handgun might not be the best idea. 

• Like 1

Well yes you should make your own decision. But If you read my post I’m saying make your gun available, not brandishing, not pointing at the person. 

Waiting until the very last minute to deploy your handgun might not be the best idea. 

I read it, pulling it out and attempting to hide it behind your leg is asking for more trouble than is most likely needed. Whether it’s from the bad guy or a bystander I don’t want anyone knowing I’m armed until I need it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OtiscoPaul said:

If they beat her why no assault charges...

Weird that a story from such a non-biased news source would contain contradictory info

N.Y. Penal Law § 160.10

Current through 2020 NY Law Chapter 21

Section 160.10 - Robbery in the second degree

A person is guilty of robbery in the second degree when he forcibly steals property and when:

1. He is aided by another person actually present; or

2. In the course of the commission of the crime or of immediate flight therefrom, he or another participant in the crime:

(a) Causes physical injury to any person who is not a participant in the crime; or

(b) Displays what appears to be a pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, machine gun or other firearm; or

3. The property consists of a motor vehicle, as defined in section one hundred twenty-five of the vehicle and traffic law.

Robbery in the second degree is a class C felony.

N.Y. Penal Law § 160.10