Found the Holy Grail on a walk

Zag

1 minute ago, Jeremy K said:

We used to have chestnut wars in the woods when we were kids . There was one tree in the neighborhood and the guy would tell us to take as many as we needed. LOL

Ha. Ha. We didnt have any chestnuts. We used butternuts instead. Lol . We were pretty sticky. 

The burs(husks ) would be open showing 3 flattened nuts that would of fallen while on the tree you would see where they attached in bur, if you open that bur you would find 3 shriveled skins as meat of nut never developed.. need a 2nd tree in a few hundred yards to cross pollinate 

2 hours ago, Zag said:

Ok I think I can picture what it would look like. So if there were seeds inside there would be no way to try to germinate into a seedling? Thanks for your input!!

Yes the american chestnut foundation has a lot of info if your interested..  I always think of the Christmas song chestnuts roasting on an open fire when  I see them...sad that 1 of every 4 trees in the northeast was a chestnut and they are just gone.. a few survivors sprouting from stumps..a shadow of what they once were.

4 hours ago, ncountry said:

Nice. Is there another NY nut tree that has a similar nut? I have seen a # of these at Letchworth sp and didnt realize what they were.

No thats pretty much only chestnut. Ive only ever found one in the woods, but its on public land on Long Island. Ill be taking clippings of it once I have a property upstate to plant them on 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, ncountry said:

Cool. I just googled them . 

Though I would say the trees at Letchworth must be chesnut because they were  at least 30' tall.

Yes there are trees that sprout from.stumps succumb to blight and resprout, each time shorter than the last , american chestnut has become an understory tree when it use to be called the redwoods of the east.. 30ft plus in diameter 200ft and taller..1 /4 of eastern forest was chestnut, half the weight of oak 2x as strong and rot resistant as redwood.  Huge loss to us and it was primary food source for passenger pigeons.. ( though hunters get blamed for killing them off loss of habitat and food had much bigger  effect)

Another lesson forgotten..quit bringing in things from china, chestnut blight,emerald ash borer, asian Longhorn Beatle , and lately viruses... when will we learn just stop bringing things here from china....lol

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 2

Cornell has been very active in bringing back a blight resistant American Chestnut. They are awaiting approval for its dispersal. Occasionally a blight resistant tree is found...one that has survived  x many years. My sister has one on her property, and on several occaisions Cornell has come down to gather seeds/samples from it. As well, out west there are several sources for trees that have never blighted...including Dunstans. I have planted about 10 on my property, and hope to see fruit this year.