Saw a loon this evening

Al Bundy

I'm going with loon on this picture. Hanging out with two Drake's and two hen mallards.  Blow up the picture and it looks somewhat clear. If you look really close you can see Sasquatch. My lab tried chasing. Nice evening by the water. About time to smelt..

IMG_20200405_180601147.jpg

• Like 2

Was up in the dacks fishing lake Durant with a buddy and saw a small loon along the edge of the water and it was struggling like it was stuck. I rowed into the shallows and my buddy in the bow of the boat says it looks like it's stuck on something. So I get us right up to it and he is reaching over to try and get it out.  Then yells "whoa".  And the loon takes off paddling and flapping.  He reached down and put one hand on a rock, except it wasn't a rock it was a huge snapping turtle that had the loon by the leg. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, left field said:

If and when I die, I’d like a loon’s call to be the final sound I hear. It’s a Canadian thing. 

Love that sound also. I'm spoiled and get to hear it every weekend at camp all summer.  That and that stupid whiporwill. Lol

I spent my summers as a kid in Maine. Nothing beats the loons calling at night. The funny thing is I live very close to a large reservoir in rockland county and I’m pretty sure I hear them
At night in the summer even down here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Tough to say, the bird is a way out, but in profile I am thinking loon...body isnt as bright as a merganser and I dont see the black on its back. This time of year they migrate, and we see them for a week or two on Oneida too. 

They like seclusion, and avoid boat traffic, etc. Lows Lake is a great spot, nearby Lake Lila too, although they are pretty common throughout the ADKS. Thier call carries a long way, so it sometimes makes it seem there are more around than there are.