Squirrel's New Rod Build

1 hour ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Sorry all sales are final lol. I once made a beautiful 11’ sage fly rod. All the best. Custom made seat, stone guides, the works. Almost $1200 my cost. No way am I taking that back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know anything about building rods, but this sounded like a fun project until I heard $1200 for a rod.  Holy smokes.  I primarily fish trout and salmon trolling Lake O but I don't think I ever spent more than $100 for a rod.  Yikes!  I assume fly rods cost way more.  In any event, that rod you posted is beautiful.

I don't know anything about building rods, but this sounded like a fun project until I heard $1200 for a rod.  Holy smokes.  I primarily fish trout and salmon trolling Lake O but I don't think I ever spent more than $100 for a rod.  Yikes!  I assume fly rods cost way more.  In any event, that rod you posted is beautiful.

Thank you. That’s a St Croix SC6. The blank was $300
Sage blanks (naked stick) start around $250 with the high end ones $500-$600 then you add your components.

3 hours ago, Nytracker said:

I made some for sale ... about a dozen . It became  work. I was much more a perfectionist when it was a rod I was selling.  Took longer... alot of rework. Rewrappingn because  I didn't like something . Just didn't enjoy it anymore . The straw that broke the camel's back was a 4 piece rod I built for a coworker . It was a gift for her boyfriend . High end components sage blank. 

They broke up 2 weeks after she gave it to him. She.begged me to take it back she needed the money. I nocked off my labor which I didn't charge enough  for to begin with . Gave her the cost of materials .

Hey Siri, "How long do I have to stay with this girl in order to keep the rod?"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Its like everything.

You don't need a custom rifle to shoot either, and cheapo off the rack guns can shoot great.

Perceived value? that's an individual decision.

5 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

I don’t believe this to be like an engagement ring lol. As soon as she hands it to me, it’s mine forever!

True story, my future wife bought me a Sage 4wt for my birthday and I proposed a couple months later

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Called them  web sight said they had it.  When I called back  a women  said it was backordered . I had a question about an alternate chuck so she connected  me to a guy in rod building.  He said they have the stuff it just needed to be kitted up.  Who knows .

Hope you get it soon

On 4/6/2020 at 8:46 AM, squirrelwhisperer said:

Possibly a better butt wrap pic5531a43fff1b106c3549491a9115f590.jpg

I have never learned to do the fancy  wraps. It has always amazed me . Dont have alot of room on fly rods for it . That is impressive . You must have serious  patience  and a steady hand . 

14 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

I have never learned to do the fancy  wraps. It has always amazed me . Dont have alot of room on fly rods for it . That is impressive . You must have serious  patience  and a steady hand . 

Lol that was wrapped and re-wrapped and re-wrapped again. Joys of being a perfectionist. You can wrap any rod just above the reel seat. Some may just have to be shorter. I have done “fancy” tuna sticks where each guide was decorated similar. I mean under wraps with diamond over wrap under the guide foot wraps that had trim and highlights. That one took a while lol. 

• Like 2