Leeks / ramps

G-Man

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Now this has my attention! So next week the leeks are still good to harvest?

They get milder and bulb grows.  I'll pick until leaves start to turn yellow prolly 2 weeks.

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

You got a recipe or just throw it together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I replaced the single store leek with about 10 large leeks, and used whole plant, the rest of recipe was same. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.simplyscratch.com/2013/11/baked-white-cheddar-leek-dip.html&ved=2ahUKEwiKnefe0qTpAhVEgnIEHZ_bBDwQrbMEMAF6BAgBEAg&usg=AOvVaw0FBegGmoupLJa10SrFvJw_&cshid=1588953966394

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1

Tomorrow’s Mother’s Day app- I’m sure she’ll love it!!! And if not I will for certain !!!

• Thanks 1

On 5/8/2020 at 11:52 AM, The_Real_TCIII said:

I dug some up yesterday and made leek potato soup. Its ok, not great. Needs some ham or bacon

Loose sausage crumbles! And a little chopped spinach! 

Trust meeeeeee.  

On 5/8/2020 at 2:22 PM, G-Man said:

Ohhhh boy.  I'm so going to make this.  Thanks for the idea.   Tried the leek and potato soup. Didn't care for it at all.   

14 minutes ago, mowin said:

Ohhhh boy.  I'm so going to make this.  Thanks for the idea.   Tried the leek and potato soup. Didn't care for it at all.   

Soup is better with ham and after it sit for a day or two.  This is amazing right from start

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
8 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Grabbed an early bunch for ramp butter and some ramp/cheese biscuits for Easter

8a55d0a96b4345d0f93cfe32ede22cd1.jpg

Wow, they look awesome!  And that would be a perfect side dish for Easter dinner…… I wonder if mine are ready yet? 

Not to be "that guy", but digging up the bulb isn't a good move. 

I love eating ramps, but they are very slow to spread, and a decent sized patch takes many years to grow. A seed can take over a year to germinate, and then 5-7 years to mature. 

They are declining in some areas, due to improper harvesting.

After doing it wrong for a long time myself, I was taught to take a sharp knife or pair of scissors, and cut off just the leaf of the plant.

You're not losing much by leaving the bulb, and it will be there to produce another crop for you the following year. 

My property has a lot of them. I take quite a few leaves every spring, and don't notice any lack the following year. 

I love eating ramps, but they are very slow to spread, and a decent sized patch takes many years to grow. A seed can take over a year to germinate, and then 5-7 years to mature. 
After doing it wrong for a long time myself, I was taught to take a sharp knife or pair of scissors, and cut off just the leaf of the plant.
You're not losing much by leaving the bulb, and it will be there to produce another crop for you the following year. 
My property has a lot of them. I take quite a few leaves every spring, and don't notice any lack the following year. 

While what you say is true. It’s also ok just don’t harvest more than 1/3 of any patch and it will
Be fine

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skillet said:

If I took a 3rd then I'd have 5 acres minimum to harvest every year.. 

Dig the bulbs but spread the seeds , and small patches are best left alone.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, G-Man said:

If I took a 3rd then I'd have 5 acres minimum to harvest every year.. 

Dig the bulbs but spread the seeds , and small patches are best left alone.

You're lucky. I'd love to have that much. What part of the state are you in?