Leeks / ramps

G-Man

Ok so these look and smell right to me!
Am I good? The looked a bit small so I only picked a few. The patch wasn’t too big. Also they come out all clumped together.
What should I make??

I wanted to pickle some but I’ll find more next weekend for that.
78ced6e3a30164b1a95a777644195654.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Am I good? The looked a bit small so I only picked a few. The patch wasn’t too big. Also they come out all clumped together.
What should I make??

78ced6e3a30164b1a95a777644195654.jpg

Those are perfect...  Pick away.  And they are in a small clump. 

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1

I picked bag full the other day. The bulbs were a little small, so I think anther week for them to be prime. The didn't go to waste, pickled some bulbs, sauteed some bulbs to go with dinner and make pesto with the tops.

Picked a few fiddleheads in another spot too, also a week away from prime time.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2020 at 1:10 PM, Arcade Hunter said:

Excellent question... Following

Yes I have dug and moved them to similar condition areas. Will take a year or two to spread and grow enough for a harvest

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 2

What should I make??

78ced6e3a30164b1a95a777644195654.jpg&key=18ef9623c419b7d28beff4985296fb85e28a967d6335b237247befa76c09c770

Nice patch!
I made these and they were outstanding

http://earthydelightsblog.com/buttermilk-ramp-biscuits/

FYI- if you don’t have buttermilk - make your own by throwing a splash of white vinegar in whatever milk ya got.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hard to tell but this bunch filed a 5 gallon bucket and it took me about 10 minutes to fill. This spot has thousands of them growing there. It is private property, but I have permission to deer and turkey hunt there. I have shown the owner what they are and what he can do with them and gave him a bucket full too.

This batch will go towards saute'd with a few dinners, pickle the bulbs and make pesto with the leaves.

Ramps 4-28-20.jpg

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, mowin said:

Good Lord, it's a sea of leeks.  

There is an area in Ontario where I hunt gobblers every spring ( except THIS one, of course) that has leek beds like that..The woods are carpeted with them for acres...Intersperst with the leeks are thousands and thousands of trilliums..Trillions of trilliums...

The forest floor is a sea of green and white....

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 4

Lots of Leeks, my Lord!  

I have a bunch of smaller patches in one section of woods and none in other sections not far away.  That is the only place I see trilliums too.  Now if I could find the usual place for morels....

• Like 3

1 minute ago, stubborn1VT said:

Does anyone wait until late May when the tops turn brown?  The bulbs are much bigger.  I may grab some then for pickling.  

I have a spot with several acres of ramps, so I can harvest from different patches.

As the bulbs get bigger they get milder, pickling them then would make sense.  My neighbor like them hot and did them in febuary, I can smell him digging them up a 1/2. Mile away

Still looking for confirmation as to whether or not these are the right fiddleheads. I’d rather not find out after eating them!!!!

9ee902baab25c6402f71b1f9f52cdfbf.jpg&key=78ac784422ec9d1303614a5d4fe90751681ee35a74a6816bb331c36d90e2b4a0
e7e3acebd40fdc20373b4f66aa1f324c.jpg&key=3834f180d83bf4e3a359a2bb963bf5c781b730cdca676e0def3ec10922c22edb
These pics were 2 days ago...they grew 3”-4” in the time

They are not, if I take a drive up to camp Monday I’ll take detailed pictures of what you are looking for