erussell's 2011 Southern zone 7s Journal

erussell

10/22

Got in stand early around 2:00pm, Squirrels are really starting to annoy me. But got to watch one get taken out by a Redtail Hawk not more than 20 yrds from me.hehehe.

I heard a cadence of steps behind me over the racket all the squirrels were making and turned to see a deer walking past me 50 yrds away. Looked like a small buck hard to tell with all the leaves on the tree's still. He stopped to rack a tree and I could hear his tines clanking around, then he moved on.

10/23

Was heading up the hill to my stand when I heard what sounded like a herd of deer walking around my stand. Ended up being a bear under the stand scratching his back on my tree. Looks like he climbed up to investigate the stand and made a snack of part of my seat. bastage. No deer see from stand that night.

10/24

Went to do an armed recon of some stateland by my house. No tracks or rubs seen so I will hold off till rut to check it out again.

Now that is funny bear tried to eat your stand! In cahoots with the deer!

I had a funny feeling that the Bears would love this funnel I set the stand in. I was hoping they wouldn't be around as much because the Oaks did poorly this yr. Doesn't look good though. I dont want to shoot bears unless one gets frisky, I try to chase them off the property and hope someone else does.

10/25

Still to warm, decided to stay home and shoot the bow today, this weekend calling for some snow so hope with the rut on its way the bucks will start to move a bit.

Edited by erussell

10/30

Was a busy day but got out the last 1 1/2 hours of the day. Decided to stand behind a fallen pine and watch a trail coming out of the hardwoods. Not expecting much. Was there ten minutes and heard a noise in the grown up field behind me and there was a doe standing there looking nervous. I tiptoed through the pines to a shooting spot and waited for her to clear some weeds. She suddenly whipped her head around and took off past me. I though she smelled me since she was under 20 yrds so I went back to my pine tree waiting spot to wait for dark. 20 minutes later I looked over my shoulder to see another deer standing in the same spot. So i snuck back over and peered out through the pines and it was a 3 point buck feedig 15 yrds from me. Stood there and watched him till it got dark. The cold weather has really got the bucks stirred up. On my way to work I saw 3 shooters crossing the road tonight.

11/1

Went out for 3hrs tonight, No deer. Saw about 20 turkey though with 6 of them within 20 yrds of my stand. 4 big toms stayed up ontop of the hill and wouldnt get anycloser. On my way to work tonight I saw a shooter 1/2 mile down the road from my house. If I had to guess I would say high 120's low 130's. Really nice 8 with long tines and good mass.

Got with my manager tonight and took the 5th through the 13th off from work. Cant wait for the weekend. Now if the weather would stop warming up I'll be good. Oh yeah, took the 19th through the 27th off to. And will finish off whats left the last week of muzzleloader to. :party:

Edited by erussell

Definetly better when it is cooler, This time of year the deer have grown in their heavier winter hair. It gets warm and they get less active, I notice most drop in movement anything over 60 for sure but even in the 50's it is uncomfortable for them in my opinion.

Definetly better when it is cooler, This time of year the deer have grown in their heavier winter hair. It gets warm and they get less active, I notice most drop in movement anything over 60 for sure but even in the 50's it is uncomfortable for them in my opinion.

Exactley. Put on a down jacket and run around in 40 degree weather for a while and see if you don't want to die. Deer will be more active in the cold, I prefer a light snow also. Nothing heavy, they tend to hole up around where I hunt till a storm passes over. Activity will definately spike if it gets below 40.

• 2 weeks later...

So for my week off I saw 32 doe and 5 non shooter bucks. Though a nice 7 point was within 10 yrds of my stand and I held off hoping he will make it through the season and be back next yr as a 3 yr old. Passed on two 4's a spike a 7 and a 3 point. Ended up mercy killing a 4 point with an arrow sticking out of him and getting a new tag from the game warden. Also saw 3 bears, one much to my suprise that I rattled in.