Maintenance....

Damn stumps in small plots.. did this last fall and decided to fix it this spring. Screenshot_20200410-105355_Gallery.thumb.jpg.e095fdbb45b32600a4938e5c61addc46.jpg Well I started this before the snowstorm,unfortunately work got in the way..finished it up today. All set for working ground now.Screenshot_20200410-105401_Gallery.thumb.jpg.0bb6867a2e41e7a96f1489add95696fa.jpg

Still have some work on cullimulcher and planter shoes.. but they will have to wait for better weather..

34 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Damn stumps in small plots.. did this last fall imageproxy.php?img=&key=e19349f16091ac34and decided to fix it this spring. Screenshot_20200410-105355_Gallery.thumb.jpg.e095fdbb45b32600a4938e5c61addc46.jpg imageproxy.php?img=&key=e19349f16091ac34imageproxy.php?img=&key=e19349f16091ac34Well I started this before the snowstorm,unfortunately work got in the way..finished it up today. All set for working ground now.Screenshot_20200410-105401_Gallery.thumb.jpg.0bb6867a2e41e7a96f1489add95696fa.jpg

Still have some work on cullimulcher and planter shoes.. but they will have to wait for better weather..

I know all about those stumps.  I had a similar issue with my 3-point spring-tooth harrow while working on plots last fall.   A stump busted it up pretty good.  I used a couple big c-clamps to hold it together for the remainder of my fall plantings, which included a few acres of wheat/clover/soybean mix.   Those clamps worked ok, but I had to take it pretty slow.

After some badly needed maintenance last week, it should be full-speed ahead with that harrow this spring.  Fortunately, I had plenty of welding rod in the shop, and found enough scrap steel laying around, to fix it up stronger than it ever was.   I also got the lawn mowers ready to go (quite a bit of welding needed there also).   Just need some warmer weather and for it to dry up a little bit now. 

I really hope I can get in some corn this year.  Last year was way too wet and was probably the first year in the last 150 that no corn was grown on our farm.   I can't keep deer around, after opening day of gun season, if I don't have any standing corn.   I have plenty of seed, and all the equipment is ready to go.  I just need some fertilizer and the weather to cooperate.   It looks like off-road diesel will be near an all-time (inflation adjusted) low this planting season, so there will be no excuse for not putting in plenty of acreage.                 

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I know all about those stumps.  I had a similar issue with my 3-point spring-tooth harrow while working on plots last fall.   A stump busted it up pretty good.  I used a couple big c-clamps to hold it together for the remainder of my fall plantings, which included a few acres of wheat/clover/soybean mix.   Those clamps worked ok, but I had to take it pretty slow.

After some badly needed maintenance last week, it should be full-speed ahead with that harrow this spring.  Fortunately, I had plenty of welding rod in the shop, and found enough scrap steel laying around, to fix it up stronger than it ever was.   I also got the lawn mowers ready to go (quite a bit of welding needed there also).   Just need some warmer weather and for it to dry up a little bit now. 

I really hope I can get in some corn this year.  Last year was way too wet and was probably the first year in the last 150 that no corn was grown on our farm.   I can't keep deer around, after opening day of gun season, if I don't have any standing corn.   I have plenty of seed, and all the equipment is ready to go.  I just need some fertilizer and the weather to cooperate.   It looks like off-road diesel will be near an all-time (inflation adjusted) low this planting season, so there will be no excuse for not putting in plenty of acreage.                 

Yep, just need to pick up a few hundred lbs of triple 19 and I'll be ready as well for corn though I do. Want to fix shoes on planter it could go as is..

3 hours ago, G-Man said:

Yep, just need to pick up a few hundred lbs of triple 19 and I'll be ready as well for corn though I do. Want to fix shoes on planter it could go as is..

I replaced the shoes on my JD model 246 corn planter a few years ago.   The old ones were almost completely worn out.  I do get more consistent germination and uniform planting depth with the new shoes.   They were new to me anyhow and probably only had a few acres on them, judging by the wear.   My father in law gave me an old JD model 290 planter, that was parked in a hedgerow behind his place.  The is a pull-type version of the three-point 246 and most of the parts are the same.  The shoes on it were like new.   I swapped them for my worn out ones on my planter.   I freed everything up on that 290 and sold it on craigslist for a few hundred bucks (without fertilizer hoppers).   That was back when folks were just starting to get into food-plotting.      

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Being completely un-knowledgeable about this subject is there a tiller / disc that can be towed by an ATV ? I believe I've seen pics on this website before as I was thinking about doing this with my property ! I'll be retiring this coming summer and want to do a plot for next season , if not for me but for my son and grandson .