Just watched a fox pounce on a mouse

Al Bundy

My lab started going ape shit so I looked out the window and saw the fox. It heard and saw us and at first trotted away. But he came back and stood. Now and again he would look over to us. He got into what I would call pounce mode and I knew he was getting breakfast. Sure as shit, he launched and ended up with a mouse or vole in his mouth. 

As I was typing this, my lab went nuts again. Either it came back or it’s mate. Another pounce, but this one appeared to miss.  I had a pair of fox walk behind me while duck hunting last fall. Had to be these two. Also had a fox howl like a banshee one morning a bunch of years ago while on stand. I could actually see it howling. Never saw this and don’t rightly recall ever hearing that exact noise. 

First pic you can see something in its mouth, kind of. Second is the other one or second round.  I’m thinking somehow the snow making mice stay up top for some reason.

63AF3716-AE5B-4C19-B9B7-9BA99C8B66AA.jpeg

425DC9B3-AB32-43B0-833C-562791E1ABE3.jpeg

Cool to see. 

Last winter I was driving on the thruway around Canastota, when I saw a brilliantly coated red fox stalking in a field along the road. He suddenly froze, then went strait up in the air coming down with all  four close together , apparently breaking through the snow for a mouse. Neat to see, I dont know if he caught lunch or not.