Arrow Build

dbHunterNY

Not as glorious as trad arrows that are real spun cedar, hand crested, with real turkey feathers but they'll have to do;

Victory VF TKO Elite V1 350 carbon shafts, standard 22gr inserts, with Black Eagle 75gr brass insert weights, bohning nocks, bohning flo yellow wraps, and bohning flo yellow blazer vanes.

Cut to length and squared up both ends with a squaring tool. Inserts fit well and better shafts. Still I'm spin testing and indexing each insert. Most of them seem to be spinning perfect without the need to turn them.

7e8b8151a0a4e8f3c42cce9e3466287b.jpg3eaed93afae53bac143250ed497c2e5d.jpge4f2e14f482fddd7f0c0a6f365f53b8a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Those look better then any trad arrow i've ever seen. 

I'm not taking anything at all from the OP's arrows but traditional bowhunters have been making some spectacular wooden shafts for years.  Cedar, Douglas Fir and many other types of wood.........footed shafts with custom burned real barred turkey feathers on stained, sealed and crested shafts are a thing of beauty.

• Like 3

Might have a chance to fletch half a dozen tomorrow. Depends on when things wind down and if I can get them dialed in. Pretty sure I'm sticking to all flow yellow vanes. Otherwise might toss in a black odd vane.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

Might have a chance to fletch half a dozen tomorrow. Depends on when things wind down and if I can get them dialed in. Pretty sure I'm sticking to all flow yellow vanes. Otherwise might toss in a black odd vane.

During a certain point in leaf drop each fall those yellow vanes and wrap could be almost impossible to spot after a pass through shot or (gulp) a miss.  Back when I was more energetic and building my own cedar shafts I'd dip and fletch a half dozen shafts in red for hunting in snowy conditions and white dipped and fletched shafts for those supper colorful leaf dropped days.  It was fun making those shafts..........

Edited by Lawdwaz

During a certain point in leaf drop each fall those yellow vanes and wrap could be almost impossible to spot after a pass through shot or (gulp) a miss.  Back when I was more energetic and building my own cedar shafts I'd dip and fletch a half dozen shafts in red for hunting in snowy conditions and white dipped and fletched shafts for those supper colorful leaf dropped days.  It was fun making those shafts..........
Ideally I was going to do all pink but shop I ordered from didnt have wraps that color. I'm only doing half dozen at a time. I have flow pink with black tiger stripes, solid black, flow yellow solid, and solid white for blazer vanes.

• 4 months later...

These look great. I have a similar build for the fall.

Victory RIP TKO 250s, custom onestringer wraps, white x-nock, 3 white blazers. On the other end I have 200gn inserts and 150gn broadheads (cutthroat, VPA and Stinger Buzzcut). These things fly like darts and hit like a hammer. 

20200823_005723.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Got them arrows finished, minus one. Insert weight came loose so waiting for the tool/wrench in the mail.

470gr finished weight. They'll be flying out of a 60lb bow.
17.8% FOC.
Hopefully they fly well!
8507d4e1b2e5ab4d05ed47867362fc5e.jpg&key=492fbe8094c95c627b1e90bc478587c3b9a2470ec4d02bf7a7b745fb12e1ce584b2f9a55f9f9f608e9a662a2228801da.jpg&key=838b38fa14ed9d817110e3b2ae5e3859930de866cf54017c80a3ef93a735cbd7

That's a serious FOC. That said I don't know anything about foc other than "pros" apparently prefer 9-15% I probably couldn't tell the difference between 15 and 30% so who knows. I say if they fly good who cares

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

7 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

Got them arrows finished, minus one. Insert weight came loose so waiting for the tool/wrench in the mail.

470gr finished weight. They'll be flying out of a 60lb bow.
17.8% FOC.
Hopefully they fly well!
8507d4e1b2e5ab4d05ed47867362fc5e.jpg4b2f9a55f9f9f608e9a662a2228801da.jpg

What arrows are you using? 350 spine? What about yours inserts and tip weight? 

Edited by NonTypical

What arrows are you using? 350 spine? What about yours inserts and tip weight? 
Victory VF TKO Elite shafts with 350 spine. Standard 22 gr inserts with added 75gr insert weight. 100 gr points. Balance point 9" off end of insert on an arrow just under 28" (nock throat to insert end).

• Like 1

That's a serious FOC. That said I don't know anything about foc other than "pros" apparently prefer 9-15% I probably couldn't tell the difference between 15 and 30% so who knows. I say if they fly good who cares

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

Depends. Long distance target like FITA it might be high versus more balanced front to back to keep it from wanting to nose dive a little. Darts are thrown at a short distance trying throwing it from farther away and it wont work well. Bowhunting inside of 40 yards with heavy foc keeps the arrow driving harder versus all your weight in a shaft that bends like a wet noodle on impact, not moving completely in the direction the point is going. Many pros build arrows and dont pay much attention to FOC. Manufacturers have made standard components that just work out to be acceptable when you pick a correctly spined arrow with whatever components.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wife's 364 grain arrows just weren't driving into the targets like a was hoping. Shes only pulling 40 lbs. so I had to make some arrows that fly and hit a little more like a hammer. Her new arrows came in at 578 grains with 20.6% FOC.
99d0e8ccdf3815117bdef740d5243c66.jpg80138182128c512c75e5f8ef4520021a.jpg

On 4/10/2020 at 6:47 PM, dbHunterNY said:

Cut wraps too. Only need 3.5" of 7" wrap. Plus that let's you do twice as many arrows!
9adb9ebd00508c3e3f215c2f9565e7a4.jpg

I cut mine also but I put chartreuse for high vis and then put a reflective one on for finding at night if something goes wrong. Works pretty good and like you said it makes them go farther.

Your arrows are looking great.