My first tailfan mount

SteveNY

Very nice. I would like to do my own fan tail mount and a European deer mount. How long did it take.

Thanks man. Only took me about an hour. Go with plucking the feathers out that you want, instead of trying the borax/salt method. Much faster, neater and less work. I started off fleshing out the tail fan and salting and all that... its just a pain in the ass. With this method you can kill a turkey in the morning and have him mounted in the afternoon. No waiting for curing.

I was gonna make a video on how I did it, but when I start doing something I have a habit of not stopping till its done...

1) Pluck out all the tail feathers you want, keep them in order the way u pulled them out (from left to right or right to left). I decided to do 3 rows of feathers. Mostly because it looks fuller and includes the nice short feathers that have the cool looking blue/green/purple colors in the sun light.

2) Get a piece of thin cardboard and arrange the longest of the tail feathers fanned out, face up, on the cardboard. Once they look neat and even use a hot glue gun to lock them in place. I did about 3 rows of glue in an arc shape at the base of the feather quills.

3) Continue the same routine for your second, and if you want, 3rd row of feathers.

4) By now you basically have your entire mount done, attach it to what ever kind of wood mount you want after that. The one I bought had a metal plate on the back, I just screwed the cardboard and feathers to the back of the plaque, attached the beard to the front of the plaque and was done.

Lemme know if you have any questions.

Thanks man. Only took me about an hour. Go with plucking the feathers out that you want, instead of trying the borax/salt method. Much faster, neater and less work. I started off fleshing out the tail fan and salting and all that... its just a pain in the ass. With this method you can kill a turkey in the morning and have him mounted in the afternoon. No waiting for curing.

I was gonna make a video on how I did it, but when I start doing something I have a habit of not stopping till its done...

1) Pluck out all the tail feathers you want, keep them in order the way u pulled them out (from left to right or right to left). I decided to do 3 rows of feathers. Mostly because it looks fuller and includes the nice short feathers that have the cool looking blue/green/purple colors in the sun light.

2) Get a piece of thin cardboard and arrange the longest of the tail feathers fanned out, face up, on the cardboard. Once they look neat and even use a hot glue gun to lock them in place. I did about 3 rows of glue in an arc shape at the base of the feather quills.

3) Continue the same routine for your second, and if you want, 3rd row of feathers.

4) By now you basically have your entire mount done, attach it to what ever kind of wood mount you want after that. The one I bought had a metal plate on the back, I just screwed the cardboard and feathers to the back of the plaque, attached the beard to the front of the plaque and was done.

Lemme know if you have any questions.

Thanks for those great instructions. Very helpful. Now all I have to do is find a turkey!! lol.

• Like 1