How old is too old?

OK you guys. While I was in Alaska I kept my venison from one season, Slim Jims, summer sausage, etc. in her freezer downstairs. These items were professionally made, vacuum  packed and frozen by a processor in the Lowville, NY area, and have remained I the same freezer since put there 2 seasons ago. With the exception of a bunch of it we ate when I was back visiting, she never got around sending me the rest being so busy with her first child now 3. So, I ask you all, would you try eating the Slim Jims at this point or be too worried you might get sick? What's the oldest processed venison you have ever eaten? How old is too old?

I have eaten vacuum-sealed venison, that has been in the freezer up to (4) years, with no notable loss in flavor.    Straight venison freezes and keeps very well because it is very low in fat (which is an oil that does not freeze).  If your processed stuff (slim-jims, summer sausage, etc) contains any added pork, then you might have a problem.  Pork is very high in fat and only good for about 6 months in the freezer.   

I never add pork to venison, but my brother in law gave me some grind that had some added, after I gave him a doe a few years ago.   That was good, but we made sure to eat all of it within a couple months.   The hamburg patties held together real well on the grill compared to straight venison.   When I make hamburgs on the grill, using straight venison, I add an egg and form the patties at least several hours before grilling.  That binds them and holds them together thru the grilling process, almost as good as the added pork.  The advantage of grind with the added pork, is that you can make the patties and immediately throw them on the grill.  They won't taste so good if it has been in the freezer more than a year though.      

Vacuum packed and frozen you will have no issues at all. I found a roast pack from 2 seasons ago that hid in the freezer it was also vacuum packed and frozen right away. It tasted just like it should have if eaten in the first year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I just thawed some ground from 2018 and it was just fine. Vacuum sealed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I watch too much Gold Rush. I thought we were getting ready to dig some overburden off to get to the pay dirt. Until the vacuum sealed part..;)

9 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I just thawed some ground from 2018 and it was just fine. Vacuum sealed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Since I didn't get a deer for the first time in 10+ years last season, I am living off a great 2018 for venison still.  All of it has been fine but I need a good 2020 for sure. 

• Like 1

Straight venison,with no pork or beef fat added, shrink wrapped will be ok. The summer sausage and slim jims have pork added and probably some cure, the cure will help them keep longer in the freezer but I wouldn't go more than 1-2 years personally. I've eaten 3 year old venison and it was fine, maybe lost some flavor but it hasn't killed me yet!

Somehow my dad had a few packs of ground venison(straight ground no fat added) in his freezer from 2015, he made burgers with it about a month ago, said it was delicious.  He's still here.  

Come on man?!?!? That’s like 8 years old by now or something!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk