What kind of work do you do?

NonTypical

I’ve seen similar threads on other forums and I thought that I’d create one here. With some people out of work and others still working, I thought it would be interesting to hear what kind of work you do. I’ve been in several different trades over the years, but right now I’m working solely as a crane operator and I’m working every day. It’s by far the best job that I’ve had, and my body is getting a much needed rest after all the abuse that I put it through over the years. What about you?

Edited by NonTypical
  • Like 3

I was a teamster as well for about 15 years. The union isn’t what it used to be...

Your right,no more 30 and out,as it was when I left with a full pension,did take a 29% cut about 3 years ago,that still stings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heavy equipment operator, and mechanic for a Town Parks Dept.  2nd in charge and proud of that being I am the youngest in the department by about 15-20 yrs.  16 in, and will have 37 yrs at 55.  Then a for sale sign on everything.

Spice business on the side.

I also test prosthetic devices, and participate in research studies for new prosthetic developments.  

I have been heavily considering taking over my dad’s firewood business as well.  Very concerned about the stress on my hand though.

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 1

I currently do the following for my own business. Sign maker; screen printing; sublimation; plaques-awards-trophy maker; stone/monument-memorial/pavers/glass/boulder/gunstock engraver; and accounting.

Sample of engravings on bluestone,  cement pavers, and golf signs

0608161037a.jpg

20180730_171416.jpg

0916161745.jpg

20180627_090039.jpg

0607162330.jpg

Edited by Engraver99
  • Like 4

Mechanic, I’ve worked in a family garage, worked for a school bus contractor for  the local district for 8 years ran the garage for 7. Now I’m a mechanic for the state, I’ve become the site fabricator as well .  Im a pretty good welder, so I get a lot of extra fab work from maintenance  and power plant crews. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

Truck driver for 8yrs.

Mid 90's I ran the archery department in local gun sporting goods store. 

Started my landscape, property management business in '96.  3 more yrs and I plan on cutting by probably 1/2.  5 yrs and wife can retire with 32 yrs with NYS worker comp. Headed south.  

• Like 2

Last 37 years in the printing industry. Prepress, bindery, pressman, design and layout. Last 16 years in charge of the graphic arts department, in a public school district. Started a school to work program, for special education students, in our district about 10 years ago. That has been my most rewarding accomplishment.

• Like 5

I'm retired.....Work 30 years for a local industry as an engineering technician in the Research and Development Division...

A lot of my hands on work involved fabricating items ( such as prototypes)  out of glass and ceramic materials using  standard machine tools such as lathes, mills, grinders etc. equipped with diamond tooling  …..

• Like 1