What kind of work do you do?

NonTypical

Manufacturing management. I started as a toolmaker, specialized in CNC grinding. Worked my way up the ladder to VP of Ops in 20 years. Left company in Rochester in 2008 to join present company at same title. We provide employment opportunities for people with disabilities, producing consumer goods for NY state contracts and private customers. Our company does injection molding, assembly, packaging and we run a tube filling and bottling operation for FDA regulated, but over the counter goods. 

Edit to add; 1-3 years to retirement.

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Manufacturing management. I started as a toolmaker, specialized in CNC grinding. Worked my way up the ladder to VP of Ops in 20 years. Left company in Rochester in 2008 to join present company at same title. We provide employment opportunities for people with disabilities, producing consumer goods for NY state contracts and private customers. Our company does injection molding, assembly, packaging and we run a tube filling and bottling operation for FDA regulated, but over the counter goods. 

Edit to add; 1-3 years to retirement.

On a scale of 1-10 how much do you love the smell of molten acrylic?

• Haha 1

Just now, Jeremy K said:

On a scale of 1-10 how much do you love the smell of molten acrylic?

Lol, not as much as the smell of steel being milled with cutting fluid. Now that smells like work to me! The rare times I get to visit a machine shop these days, it always smells like home to me.

• Like 1

This is a cool thread.

I started as a truck driver(21yrs.) then switched to heavy equipment for the last 8 years. I know it may sound funny but I love my job and looking back wouldn’t change anything. In less then two years now the only work I’m doing is around the house!!!!

be63d8c9686f5391548aef202d4960e7.jpg&key=17bbb5f2d71dbe6d0518ff8719b027d22e2e1ee29fe5401cedb2d911ed1423d7

This is the machine I like the most out of all the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Worked at an Italian deli for 8 years from 16-24 during high school and college/grad school.  Had a few other jobs sprinkled in through that time. Fuel oil company as a helper, skeet shooting range, cutting grass at a gold course,  building maintenance, and busboy.  Phys ed teacher for the last 13 years.  

• Like 2

Right now I don't do any work........Prior to the shutdown and hopefully after I'll be back to work in the window & door business locally.  We primarily do installations of full frame (as opposed to pocket windows) custom windows and doors with custom stain and paint to match the existing homes decor. Pella windows & doors as well as Provia products.  Some remodeling tossed in for the winter months too.

I've been with that company for 5 years, before that I owned a nationally franchised cleaning and restoration business for 30 years.  In my teens and early 20's I worked in two local full service garages; Eddies Exxon and Gerry's Mobil.  Pumped gas, turned wrenches and checked out wenches........ :)

My boss at Eddie's was Norb Falkner, deceased now many years.  He made quite an impression on me.........a good one.

• Like 2

I had roughly 15 years in between 2 companies in various management roles. Then back at the end of 2019 I made the jump from a corporate gig to healthcare. Now I'm working through all of this craziness. One of the best moves I've ever made. Feels good going to work each day knowing that I'm contributing to an organization that helps people and helps the community.

Facilities manager for over 40 years.  Responsible for building, equipment, environment, safety and health.  Grew up son of a father that was a depression era kid.  Dad was an extremely successful mechanical engineer but never paid for anything.  He had five sons.  We were all trained in mechanics, pneumatics,  plumbing, electrical,  print reading and drawing of prints.  Communications via dad often came by print and there was a drafting table in house.  A lost art as things are most CAD now.  Dad only bought "Foreign Cars" as they were called then and then not normal ones.  I was house mechanic and had access to cars.  Greatly enjoy dusting Firebirds and Camaros with a sleeper Mercedes.   

Mom and dad went on vacation to Europe, I got a roll of prints as to what addition was to be, permits, calendar of inspections  and a load of lumber. :rolleyes:

I worked construction during high school and paid for college doing construction.  Another dad principle was if you didn't pay for it, you didn't respect it.  Found out he wasn't all that wrong.

Out of college, started in a program where they change my job every 3-4 months. Had gig as expediter, foreman, inventory control, computer operator robotic stockroom (Which I hated but they loved me, almost quit) and then became maintenance foreman.  Very much hit my stride in facilities and you name it, the company I worked for, did it. 

Machine shop, plating, electronic assembly, PC board production, foundry, paint line, massive boiler plant,  heat treat and more.  Learned a lot as I had no other choice but to and my previous experience in other short term assignments greatly helped as well as dad training.    Started with six cohorts in that department but in the end there was only me.  Modern business but I'm very grateful for the experience and those that I work with and for.  Left that company went to a much smaller one.  I was working so much was missing the kids growing up.

Hope to retire next April.  Still can as it exists now but investments are on roller coaster.  Already have our retirement home which is isolated on a mountain where wife and I are presently working from home.  Because of my age work has asked me to work from home which is very tough in my role and me.   I've always been hands on. However, I think this is also a test for my expected replacement whom I have been training.  He's been doing very well but still frustrating to be on the sidelines.  I do go in once a week to check on things particularly sanitation of facility.  We are a essential business.  Our optics are going into stuff to find and combat this virus.  

2 hours ago, Moho81 said:

I draw pretty pictures for a living (architect) been doing it for 14 years now. Specialize in Multifamily and Mixed Use housing but dabble in other commercial projects as well as residential projects when its for someone I know. 

Get over here and look at the attic above my garage so I dont fall through when I build an office up there!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Lol, not as much as the smell of steel being milled with cutting fluid. Now that smells like work to me! The rare times I get to visit a machine shop these days, it always smells like home to me.

My wife loved when i would come home smelling like a "shop" she said it was manly. 

2 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Get over here and look at the attic above my garage so I dont fall through when I build an office up there!

Sir, YES SIR! 

Seriously though, once we are through all this I'd be happy to pop over and take a look at it and let you know if you are even close to being able to do it.  

• Thanks 1

Man I have lived a sheltered life:  First job at 16, I worked at a gym since I practically lived there anyways the owner had me open and close on Sat and Sun.  Security/bouncer through college ($12/hr in 1990 was pretty decent to sit around and look tough).  Then law school and lawyer  (commercial litigation and Indian law) for past 23 years.  I did win some money powerlifting but barely enough to cover the costs of gas to some meets - don't think it counts as a job.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Nomad said:

For all the machinists out there , that’s what my Dad did and this hung on his workroom wall for as long as I remember. It was one of the few things I wanted after his passing .

06C5D71B-0953-42B1-BCD7-F9F67D91D493.jpeg

I remember when i started machine shop 1 in 11th grade and my dad had that whole chart memorized just from years of looking at . I thought it was some tremendous feat , a bunch of years later it dawned on me one day that i had the whole chart memorized ,as well as the tap drill sizes .

Edited by Jeremy K
  • Like 2