What kind of work do you do?

NonTypical

I work in construction. Started in the field about 40 yrs ago both hands-on and supervisory. Wide range of projects small and large, but mainly municipal and commercial. Now I am a desk jockey with perhaps 5-10% time spent in the field. Was hoping to retire in next few years, but recent losses to 401k have pushed that out to probably 8-10 yrs.....maybe.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Manufacturing management. I started as a toolmaker, specialized in CNC grinding. Worked my way up the ladder to VP of Ops in 20 years. Left company in Rochester in 2008 to join present company at same title. We provide employment opportunities for people with disabilities, producing consumer goods for NY state contracts and private customers. Our company does injection molding, assembly, packaging and we run a tube filling and bottling operation for FDA regulated, but over the counter goods. 

Edit to add; 1-3 years to retirement.

recently learned we travel in some of the same work circles - small world. Hoping our folks will be able to get back to work soon!  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

recently learned we travel in some of the same work circles - small world. Hoping our folks will be able to get back to work soon!  

Me too - looking forward to everything getting back to normal.

And a lunch date is on me the next time our buildings are open to the public!

Edited by Steuben Jerry

9 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Me too - looking forward to everything getting back to normal.

And a lunch date is on me the next time our buildings are open to the public!

that sounds great.   I will actually be in Cortland tomorrow for work for most of the day.  And we def should do that once the world is back open.  

• Like 1

When I was 20-21 I lived in NYC and worked as a perfume spray boy at Macy’s. People loved to bust my balls but it was $15 in 1990 and I was among some of the most beautiful women in the world! My sister managed the Lancôme counter and got me the gig. Before that I made donuts at DD and cooked short order. Stupid jobs for a teenager I should have been outside cutting lawns for the town or something outdoors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 hours ago, Nomad said:

For all the machinists out there , that’s what my Dad did and this hung on his workroom wall for as long as I remember. It was one of the few things I wanted after his passing .

06C5D71B-0953-42B1-BCD7-F9F67D91D493.jpeg

My dad was a tool and die maker after wwII.  Then became a machinist in the 50's.  He had the same chart, but it was foldable pocket sized.  I've got his machinist tool box in my shop. 

• Like 1

Spent the last 12.5 years at a large company (15K+ employees). Presently leading around $75M in P&L, and way more importantly, a group of 27 awesome leaders and more than 200 team members. Some really great people who can move mountains. I'm constantly in awe with what they can accomplish. For the last two years in a row, they've been the #1 performing business unit in the company.

Alot of red tape to navigate in large companies like this though. That part is hard to enjoy but I am good at it, so it's a blessing and a curse. Lately, it's personally felt more like a curse.

I'm sure others have more pressing career matters but I'm fighting that internal battle of staying the course vs. aligning with what is becoming more important to me as I age up. I enjoy the people I work with and the present income and income trajectory is more than I reasonably expected to make in my life. So strong that I struggle altering what is a much more secure future for my family against doing almost anything else that likely will not provide that degree of income/security. Thankfully I like the people because it's kept me on the tracks so far.

As time goes on, I'd like to have more impact with a smaller company and help accelerate growth and careers for people. One of the business units I lead now does $50M per year and I was lucky enough to be one of the original founding leaders - a start-up in a mature/legacy company. Went from 0 to 100+ employees and families that are supported in less than a year. That business has matured - still innovating, but I really enjoyed the hard work and fun involved in it getting boosted off the launch pad.

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

When I was 20-21 I lived in NYC and worked as a perfume spray boy at Macy’s. People loved to bust my balls but it was $15 in 1990 and I was among some of the most beautiful women in the world! My sister managed the Lancôme counter and got me the gig. Before that I made donuts at DD and cooked short order. Stupid jobs for a teenager I should have been outside cutting lawns for the town or something outdoors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That explains why I enjoy fishing downwind of you, my Little Pussycat  !!

I worked  at an A&P store as a grocery clerk from age 17 until 21, when I spent two years  working for Uncle Sam aboard a USNR Destroyer...

After that I worked for a year as a laborer building pallets in a local woodworking shop until I got lucky and was hired for the job  eventually retired from...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pygmy said:

That explains why I enjoy fishing downwind of you, my Little Pussycat  !!

I worked  at an A&P store as a grocery clerk from age 17 until 21, when I spent two years  working for Uncle Sam aboard a USNR Destroyer...

After that I worked for a year as a laborer building pallets in a local woodworking shop until I got lucky and was hired for the job  eventually retired from...

My grandmother would say to my grandfather "Im gonna go to the A&P" and hed say "Okay Ill go to the Y and shit"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Heavy equipment operator, and mechanic for a Town Parks Dept.  2nd in charge and proud of that being I am the youngest in the department by about 15-20 yrs.  16 in, and will have 37 yrs at 55.  Then a for sale sign on everything.
Spice business on the side.
I also test prosthetic devices, and participate in research studies for new prosthetic developments.  

I have been heavily considering taking over my dad’s firewood business as well.  Very concerned about the stress on my hand though.

Spice business. Tell me more I’d love to
Purchase and support !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, phade said:

Spent the last 12.5 years at a large company (15K+ employees). Presently leading around $75M in P&L, and way more importantly, a group of 27 awesome leaders and more than 200 team members. Some really great people who can move mountains. I'm constantly in awe with what they can accomplish. For the last two years in a row, they've been the #1 performing business unit in the company.

Alot of red tape to navigate in large companies like this though. That part is hard to enjoy but I am good at it, so it's a blessing and a curse. Lately, it's personally felt more like a curse.

I'm sure others have more pressing career matters but I'm fighting that internal battle of staying the course vs. aligning with what is becoming more important to me as I age up. I enjoy the people I work with and the present income and income trajectory is more than I reasonably expected to make in my life. So strong that I struggle altering what is a much more secure future for my family against doing almost anything else that likely will not provide that degree of income/security. Thankfully I like the people because it's kept me on the tracks so far.

As time goes on, I'd like to have more impact with a smaller company and help accelerate growth and careers for people. One of the business units I lead now does $50M per year and I was lucky enough to be one of the original founding leaders - a start-up in a mature/legacy company. Went from 0 to 100+ employees and families that are supported in less than a year. That business has matured - still innovating, but I really enjoyed the hard work and fun involved in it getting boosted off the launch pad.

I worked in Finance and Accounting for one of the larger companies in the Rochester area for 20+ years..   I am now the CFO for a smaller public, high tech manufacturing company.   Being one of the leaders in a smaller company has really been a breath of fresh air.  Never more than 2 or 3 people to set strategy, make a decision or approve something.   we are growing at a  fast pace, which is very difficult, but in a smaller sized company, it forces you to be more involved in what is really happening day to day.  Wish I made the move 5 or 10 years earlier.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, phade said:

Your secret is safe with us LOL.

download.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So about me, From my late teens through late 20’s I was a professional Chef. I ran some pretty high profile kitchens in the metro NYC area. It was a blast and I loved every minute of it. That lifestyle takes its toll. It’s non stop abuse to your body and mind, lots of drinking , being surrounded by drugs and drug addicts.

One day i had enough, with no education out side of a culinary degree I tried to figure out what to do with my life. I similarly to Tacks am in food distribution, I do direct broadline sales to the restaurant industry.

These past few weeks have been some of the most challenging of my career. I have watched some of my long time friends become furloughed, I’ve seen my distribution center throw out or donate over 500k in product in one week. It’s been crazy.

The one thing that makes me proud is out of the 90 sales reps that work out of my distribution center I am one of 2 that hit my sales target last month

• Like 2

I’m self employed . Started working for a irrigation company in the late 90’s and we built it  to the top 10 largest irrigation company in the country only working 8 months out of the year. After that started my own irrigation company and sold it . Flipped a couple houses , started a exterior lighting design company. Have been doing that for 15 years now. 

8CA3F4DA-E5B6-4359-BC11-42A22614E0C9.jpeg

2DC0B160-1374-443A-9032-616EF5D24A30.jpeg

06E242E5-9127-47DD-B0FE-C26A09A79EAB.jpeg

6D441901-7D8E-4C44-8FD5-8023EB9B0763.jpeg

1E4778BC-975E-4792-BD64-0593A5F8826F.jpeg

F953D3E5-7B82-44B1-A61B-47A7EE59B5D4.jpeg

04B2ABDA-5A2F-49CB-B374-3DA414A9BEE4.jpeg

612B6656-B570-48C4-8869-1334CD2E626D.jpeg

• Like 20

9 minutes ago, sodfather said:

I’m self employed . Started working for a irrigation company in the late 90’s and we built it  to the top 10 largest irrigation company in the country only working 8 months out of the year. After that started my own irrigation company and sold it . Flipped a couple houses , started a exterior lighting design company. Have been doing that for 15 years now. 

8CA3F4DA-E5B6-4359-BC11-42A22614E0C9.jpeg

2DC0B160-1374-443A-9032-616EF5D24A30.jpeg

06E242E5-9127-47DD-B0FE-C26A09A79EAB.jpeg

6D441901-7D8E-4C44-8FD5-8023EB9B0763.jpeg

1E4778BC-975E-4792-BD64-0593A5F8826F.jpeg

F953D3E5-7B82-44B1-A61B-47A7EE59B5D4.jpeg

04B2ABDA-5A2F-49CB-B374-3DA414A9BEE4.jpeg

612B6656-B570-48C4-8869-1334CD2E626D.jpeg

I think of you everytime i drive past a house and can clearly see the light fixture sticking out like a sore thumb . I just know you wouldn't approve. 

• Haha 1

I think of you everytime i drive past a house and can clearly see the light fixture sticking out like a sore thumb . I just know you wouldn't approve. 

I think of him evefytime I look at a golf scorecard that shows PAR36

47 minutes ago, Chef said:

Spice business. Tell me more I’d love to
Purchase and support !

I create spice blends, and bottle/sell them.  I designed my own adhesive labels that i print at home.  I buy the bottles, mix, pack, label, seal all myself at home.  I will PM you with more specifics.  I appreciate it.

• Like 3