Non political corona virus thread

Al Bundy

You need to remember that what you’re dealing with and what I’m dealing with over 200 miles away are two completely different things.

An executive order isn’t a law it’s a bullshit , being an Leo has nothing to do with it.

Our public up here is plenty safe!

The bar was not illegally open, no laws were broken.

Not a single mask was worn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aren't bars closed in all of NYS? So having people inside drinking is illegal isn't it? Bar/restaurants in WnY that got caught serving drinks to people waiting for takeout were shutdown, fined and lost their liquor license.

Or I may just be confused with the whole Phase plan we are going through...and missed the bullet points on bars.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

My buddy served some time in Afghanistan as a combat correspondent,  he told me in early march that this wreaked of of false information and propaganda, turns out he nailed it .

What about Biz who said it was Nothing more than a flu from day 1? If enough people got tested the death rate would be just as low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

So I  have been in Steuben county for three days. The only difference I have seen from Long Island is when going into a store I notice about half the patrons not wearing masks. Down on LI you have to wear a mask to get in. The sign on Tractor Suppy only talked about social distancing no masks. 

What about Biz who said it was Nothing more than a flu from day 1? If enough people got tested the death rate would be just as low.

I don’t think the flu devastates nursing homes like this every year, this is incredibly dangerous for senior citizens

• Like 4

I put on a camo neck gator to go into a store, because I have to use a “ mask “ it’s largely useless for filtering a virus but that’s not why I wear it .

Outside like at Highland Park, I carry my social distance stick .

525AEDE0-A95F-4ADD-B07F-EF04C48ECC87.jpeg

• Like 1

I put on a camo neck gator to go into a store, because I have to use a “ mask “ it’s largely useless for filtering a virus but that’s not why I wear it .
Outside like at Highland Park, I carry my social distance stick .
525AEDE0-A95F-4ADD-B07F-EF04C48ECC87.thumb.jpeg.85b19bf74d3d1eba77ec67f81a01dea8.jpeg

I got a lightweight KUIU gator mask for stores. Works great and breathable.

• Like 1

I don’t think the flu devastates nursing homes like this every year, this is incredibly dangerous for senior citizens

It only does when Cuomo ships people to them

• Like 1

My friend (42-year-old, fit, non-smoking woman) has been dealing with a severe case and is now trying to manage organ failure - lungs and kidneys, as well as inflammation of her brain. 
I don’t recall the flu acting like that. 

That’s the odd thing with this crap...some people just react with bad flu symptoms and others get crushed. The fact that the medical professionals can’t pin down why certain people react in certain ways is unsettling.

• Like 2

My friend (42-year-old, fit, non-smoking woman) has been dealing with a severe case and is now trying to manage organ failure - lungs and kidneys, as well as inflammation of her brain. 

I don’t recall the flu acting like that. 

I’m sorry to hear that. But that is an extremely rare situation. Last I read the odds of dying under 65 with no underlying health issues was zero point zero zero 9.

0.009%

Is it possible she had something underlying she wasnt aware of?

Regarding the flu, yes sometimes you hear of freak incidents where young/healthy people die from it. But again, very rare

• Like 1

My understanding is that there have been a lot cases of organ failure, which caught the medical community by surprise. 

With measures that resulted in a shut down of the country, severe hit to the economy, restricted to no travel, abandonment of societal norms; we still had 100k deaths and counting in a few months. Again, this isn’t the flu.

I’m not saying this is the end of the world, but I don’t think discounting it or making light of it will help the coming outbreaks. 

• Like 1

I had an interesting conversation with a neighbor today when he stopped as I was working in my garden. He’s an old Union Democrat that’s retired and sits around watching cnn most of the day. That being said he’s a good neighbor that I’ve known all my life.

The subject quickly turned to the corona and how concerned he was and how he was so afraid to go out in public and how he thought trump was going to get everyone killed by opening the economy. Now while he’s going on about this I’m leaning on the mirror of his truck breathing his 2nd hand smoke of the 3 cigarettes that he smoked in the 10 minutes we talked. I would have liked to been further away but I’m very hard of hearing and he doesn’t speak very loudly after his 2nd batch of throat cancer.

After he got done I asked him how he could be so worried about dying from corona but didn’t seem to worry about the cigarettes, he got a little mad and told me it was completely different.

This is the crap that drives me crazy, everyone seems to be so worried about dying from corona but they smoke, drink, chew or whatever else isn’t good for them. Now I understand that we have to be worried about giving it to others but still.

• Like 1

My understanding is that there have been a lot cases of organ failure, which caught the medical community by surprise. 
With measures that resulted in a shut down of the country, severe hit to the economy, restricted to no travel, abandonment of societal norms; we still had 100k deaths and counting in a few months. Again, this isn’t the flu.
I’m not saying this is the end of the world, but I don’t think discounting it or making light of it will help the coming outbreaks. 

I’m not making light of it. I just feel if it was 2019 or 2021 right now, the country would not be locked down. California with 3K deaths out of 40M people being locked down is an absolute joke. Nyc and westchester needed the lockdown to flatten curve and we did that.

• Like 3

I’m not making light of it. I just feel if it was 2019 or 2021 right now, the country would not be locked down. California with 3K deaths out of 40M people being locked down is an absolute joke. Nyc and westchester needed the lockdown to flatten curve and we did that.

So Chautauqua and Catt counties with their 5
Combined deaths shouldn’t have squashed their small businesses? How could those county execs not open up weeks or even months ago? Spineless wonders afraid of Cuomo. Imagine a world with no Trillium this November!!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I had an interesting conversation with a neighbor today when he stopped as I was working in my garden. He’s an old Union Democrat that’s retired and sits around watching cnn most of the day. That being said he’s a good neighbor that I’ve known all my life.

The subject quickly turned to the corona and how concerned he was and how he was so afraid to go out in public and how he thought trump was going to get everyone killed by opening the economy. Now while he’s going on about this I’m leaning on the mirror of his truck breathing his 2nd hand smoke of the 3 cigarettes that he smoked in the 10 minutes we talked. I would have liked to been further away but I’m very hard of hearing and he doesn’t speak very loudly after his 2nd batch of throat cancer.

After he got done I asked him how he could be so worried about dying from corona but didn’t seem to worry about the cigarettes, he got a little mad and told me it was completely different.

This is the crap that drives me crazy, everyone seems to be so worried about dying from corona but they smoke, drink, chew or whatever else isn’t good for them. Now I understand that we have to be worried about giving it to others but still.

Guy across the street ,gets home from work and is absolutely tanked within 30 minutes . He drinks straight vodka and I’d say close to a 750ml bottle  per day everyday  , I’ve watched him drink half a bottle in 20 minutes . He smokes like a fiend as well .

All he does is say that he’s going to die from the ‘Rona , because at work they won’t give them masks, and the guys he works with won’t buy their own as they feel company should .  

ok pool time !

• Like 1

My mother in law is here for her bday. We are not wearing masks and understand the risks (minimal as of 5/25, given our health & recent exposure the past 14 days). Take that Cuomo!

• Like 1

So, the shutdown sucked, no doubt, but if there was an agenda beyond trying to prevent a disaster it was worldwide, since everybody else around the globe did essentially the same thing. Outliers such as Sweden asked its citizens nicely and they complied, while in Brazil the government wants them to mingle, but they're choosing to stay home. Same result - social distancing - whether government mandated or not. At least we're not China, where they enforced stay at home orders with guards and guns. 

20/20 hindsight is perfect, and in retrospect we could have managed a better response by weighing population density into our equations. But we're not out of the woods yet. I suspect that history's perspective on this has yet to be determined. It seems clear however that your personal opinion depends strongly on your experience. I would like to hear how our brethren in NYC feel. 

3 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I’m not saying you’re making light of it, but there’s is a narrative out there that compares it to the flu in an effort to lessen the perceived risk and danger. 

I learned a new word today: micromort. Basically, the one-in-a-million chance anyone has of dying in a certain situation. 

Understand that this is under the extreme (for America) restrictions. 

"A useful way to understand risks is by comparing them with what is called a “micromort,” which measures a one-in-a-million chance of dying. Note that we are considering only fatality risks here, not the risk of growing sick from coronavirus, or morbidity. The micromort allows one to easily compare the risk of dying from skydiving, for example (7 micromorts per jump), or going under general anesthesia in the United States (5 micromorts), to that of giving birth in the United States (210 micromorts).

The average American endures about one micromort of risk per day, or one in a million chance of dying, from nonnatural causes, such as being electrocuted, dying in a car wreck or being struck by an asteroid (the list is long).

Let’s apply this concept to Covid-19.

Using data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, New York City experienced approximately 24,000 excess deaths from March 15 to May 9, when the pandemic was peaking. That’s 24,000 more deaths than would have normally occurred during the same time period in previous years, without this pandemic. This statistic is considered a more accurate estimate of the overall mortality risk related to Covid-19 than using the reported number of deaths resulting from confirmed cases, since it captures indirect deaths associated with Covid-19 (because of an overwhelmed health care system, for example) as well as the deaths caused by the virus itself.

Converting this to micromort language, an individual living in New York City has experienced roughly 50 additional micromorts of risk per day because of Covid-19. That means you were roughly twice as likely to die as you would have been if you were serving in the U.S. armed forces in Afghanistan throughout 2010, a particularly deadly year."

Article

@knehrke Feeling extremely cautious.

Edited by left field

So, the shutdown sucked, no doubt, but if there was an agenda beyond trying to prevent a disaster it was worldwide, since everybody else around the globe did essentially the same thing. Outliers such as Sweden asked its citizens nicely and they complied, while in Brazil the government wants them to mingle, but they're choosing to stay home. Same result - social distancing - whether government mandated or not. At least we're not China, where they enforced stay at home orders with guards and guns. 
20/20 hindsight is perfect, and in retrospect we could have managed a better response by weighing population density into our equations. But we're not out of the woods yet. I suspect that history's perspective on this has yet to be determined. It seems clear however that your personal opinion depends strongly on your experience. I would like to hear how our brethren in NYC feel. 

I live right outside the city, have friends who live in the city, are healthcare workers in the city. I also have a place upstate. So I have both perspectives. I think by in large the smaller communities were saved by the lockdown. If people were traveling all over the smaller communities would have been hit much harder. It was needed and now needs to slowly end in responsible manner

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I’m sorry to hear that. But that is an extremely rare situation. Last I read the odds of dying under 65 with no underlying health issues was zero point zero zero 9.

0.009%

Is it possible she had something underlying she wasnt aware of?

Regarding the flu, yes sometimes you hear of freak incidents where young/healthy people die from it. But again, very rare

I hope you dont get it. When you headed back yo the City? lol

1 hour ago, knehrke said:

I've been working in NYC and NJ Hospitals for almost 30 years.

Covid19 has been the most devastating virus I've had to deal with.

In the past my family has been lucky , but this time it hit home and my 86 year old uncle and 65 year old cousin died.

Covid is nothing to mess around with, but states need to get back to work in a safe and feasible manner.

Also, I don't want to hear "the new normal" one more time either !

If past generations gave in to the "new normal" way of thought, we'd be speaking German or Japanese.

Town Populace and Covid case numbers should determine what safety practices should be undertaken, not just a blanket approach.

Rant over.

SJC

• Like 2