Non political corona virus thread

Al Bundy

Not so sure about "quickly".  We're approaching 100 days of lock down.  Countries that had a quicker response did it in 60 days.

We Iocked down too long. But I got no complaints now. I won’t be back in nyc till at least September and there’s a good chance it will never be 5x per week ever again. 50 floor building and 4 hour wait times to get in elevator social distanced means I’ll be home for a long long time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

But again this is only an issue for elderly and sickly people. So that’s why numbers are dropping so quickly

FYI, yes not that many younger people have died. I know a few people in their early 30’s that got very very sick, weeks to recover. My fried a nurse practitioner at major NYC hospital said she was putting a few 30-40 year olds on a vent every day for over a month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's put this in perspective. There's been lots of talk about how only old folks are succumbing to this disease. Well, that's true of lots of diseases, including age-onset neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's - which is widely considered to be a major health issue, of course. Unless you are getting younger (like me) or don't worry about the burden that caring for the elderly places on individuals and on society, then I'd say we still have cause for concern. I wouldn't order confetti for the victory parade quite yet. 

FYI, yes not that many younger people have died. I know a few people in their early 30’s that got very very sick, weeks to recover. My fried a nurse practitioner at major NYC hospital said she was putting a few 30-40 year olds on a vent every day for over a month

Right, but 90% of those people had underlying issues whether they knew beforehand or not

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
They couldn't keep it out of NY when it came from overseas, how are we gonna keep it out from the rest of the US....hate to see it in other states but hopefully it's just running it's course there too and will be gone. 

Right, they are just behind us but I can only win so many battles with my wife so I’m giving her this, no contact with them for 14 days lol

• Like 1

They couldn't keep it out of NY when it came from overseas, how are we gonna keep it out from the rest of the US....hate to see it in other states but hopefully it's just running it's course there too and will be gone. 

In April somedays less than 100K Americans traveled through TSA checkpoints to fly. Lately it’s been close to 700K per day. More traveling, more people out, and more testing = more cases. I don’t get why this is a surprise to anyone. But death rates are still tiny, so that’s why I choose not to live in fear. I’m smart about who I see and where I go.

• Like 3

I just keep recalling the original war cry of "Flatten the Curve!" to prevent hospitals from becoming overwhelmed.  We did that.  Back then we were told everything would return to normal after we did that.  They lied to us.  Now it's all about power and control and using the crises to obtain advantage in the political arena.  People are starting to see this and no longer feel they are doing the right thing by hiding in fear.  The game is over.  People no longer wish to play.

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Rattler said:

I just keep recalling the original war cry of "Flatten the Curve!" to prevent hospitals from becoming overwhelmed.  We did that.  Back then we were told everything would return to normal after we did that.  They lied to us.  Now it's all about power and control and using the crises to obtain advantage in the political arena.  People are starting to see this and no longer feel they are doing the right thing by hiding in fear.  The game is over.  People no longer wish to play.

It seem to have worked for all the other countries who didn't defy the suggestions.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Rattler said:

You assume those countries are still doing a lot of testing.

Yes they are.  Countries stop testing because they've effectively flattened the curve.  The number of test administers is based on the percentage of positive results.  Those who low number of positive results don't need to test as much.  As stated:

"Some countries, like Australia, South Korea and Uruguay have a positive rate of less than 1% – it takes hundreds, or even thousands of tests to find one case in these countries."

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/full-list-cumulative-total-tests-per-thousand-bar-chart?country=AUS~AUT~BEL~CAN~DNK~EST~FIN~DEU~ISL~IND~ISR~ITA~JPN~NZL~NOR~RUS~SEN~SGP~ZAF~KOR~ESP~SWE~CHE~TWN~TUR~GBR~USA

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-testing

CT country club just closed for 14 days after a camp Counselor tested positive. My camp(also at a CC) is 10 minutes away in NY. If we close due to one of my counselors being sick I am F’ed!

We can go fishing!

#LessOverzealousMods #WeWantANewMod

8 hours ago, Elmo said:

It seem to have worked for all the other countries who didn't defy the suggestions.

yeah the states that arent wearing masks have gone way up.  And it will take a while for them to come down.  Hopefully it doesnt come back around to us again.  But gotta think as these other states shutdown there goes supplies and manufacturing too.  Went to Lowes a couple of days ago and you couldnt hardly find a 2x4 in the place.  its gonna take a while to dig out of this. And those states that just opened back up quick are looking not so good now - Fl, Texas, Arizona etc.   Infection rate in US went up 80% in a matter of a few days.   

Edited by Robhuntandfish

Every governor should be forced to explain their COVID plan for the next year. And then it should be voted on by the state legislature. We cannot continue accepting short term, reactive dictates. And, if we are shutting down again, somebody please explain the long-term purpose. Are we really preventing anyone from getting sick -- or just postponing it by another month?

9 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

We can go fishing!

Has he told us where and when we are golfing?

11 hours ago, crappyice said:

CT country club just closed for 14 days after a camp Counselor tested positive. My camp(also at a CC) is 10 minutes away in NY. If we close due to one of my counselors being sick I am F’ed!

1 hour ago, Rattler said:

Every governor should be forced to explain their COVID plan for the next year. And then it should be voted on by the state legislature. We cannot continue accepting short term, reactive dictates. And, if we are shutting down again, somebody please explain the long-term purpose. Are we really preventing anyone from getting sick -- or just postponing it by another month?

It's just easier for them to blame the president when what ever it is they did didnt work.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Because I don't? I rarely take time off because the days I do take off everything goes to shit. Nobody can do my job even close to as well as I can

LOL what? So you don't use your 4-6 weeks vacation each year and essentially work for free? even the best CEO's, CFO's, and COO's can take days off. Something doesn't sound right. I hope you are getting paid $20M/year for your rare talent.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

LOL what? So you don't use your 4-6 weeks vacation each year and essentially work for free? even the best CEO's, CFO's, and COO's can take days off. Something doesn't sound right.
I wish I had 4-6 weeks of vacation. I only accrue 3 weeks and can carry over a years accrual. So this year I have roughly 5 weeks vacation I'll take some in the fall and some long weekends here and there but I don't take much time because I'm too valuable and if something gets screwed up it's literally tens of thousands of dollars vaporized instantly

1 minute ago, The Jerkman said:

I wish I had 4-6 weeks of vacation. I only accrue 3 weeks and can carry over a years accrual. So this year I have roughly 5 weeks vacation I'll take some in the fall and some long weekends here and there but I don't take much time because I'm too valuable and if something gets screwed up it's literally tens of thousands of dollars vaporized instantly

cemeteries are full of indispensable people

• Like 3