Non political corona virus thread

Al Bundy

Countries like India, Brazil, and pretty much the entire continent of Africa is so overwhelmed that they essentially gave on testing.  If I have to trust one country to keep accurate data then I'd put my faith in the US.  According to the CDC, 32,000 died from the flu in the US in the 2018/2019 season.  61,000 in the 2017/2018 season which was high.  Where as C19 is at what?  138K and counting?

• Like 3

On 7/12/2020 at 6:45 PM, knehrke said:

You may be right in terms of # increasing in the upcoming weeks, but my experience and current hospitalizations suggest that the increase will not be what we saw in April. As for the virus mutating, that's a fact. Whether the mutated spike protein variant is more or less virulent is an open question, but it does appear to increase viral respiratory load, so it may be more infectious. I'm generally on board with you, but "datas is datas" as my postdoc says.

In the beginning, no one really knew what was the best way to handle it.  I would hope after a few months and a couple of mistakes we have a better hang of it by now.

Good analysis from The Daily Signal.

California has been cautious in reopening and has maintained many of its mitigation measures during this time. In the time that Texas was well into its third phase of reopening, California had only begun moving into its second, yet is seeing a similar surge in cases.

The facts suggest that the recent surge is the result of an uncooperative public more than a failure of reopening.

California has been slow and deliberate in loosening restrictions on a county-by-county basis. For instance, some dine-in restaurants have been opened, provided establishments can meet certain guidelines, but hair and nail salons, public events, and spectator sports remain closed.

California has imposed a statewide mask requirement since June 18. Furthermore, Gov. Gavin Newsom is adamant on waiting for a vaccine before normal life can resume.

With such a focus on caution, why has California seen such a rise in cases?

Newsom recently blamed it on the “young invincibles,” young adults who are not complying well with disease precautions. To that end, Newsom has ordered the closing of bars and indoor areas of restaurants in many counties, including in Los Angeles, Orange, and Sacramento counties.

Bars and pubs offer an environment that is particularly conducive to transmitting respiratory diseases as patrons cluster together at the bar shouting their drink orders over the din of the crowd and, typically, loud music.

Anecdotally, many bars and restaurants in California have not been complying with occupancy guidelines, so it would be unsurprising if many of the new cases can be linked back to such establishments.

Also anecdotally, many Americans simply do not know how to wear a mask properly—for instance, by leaving their noses exposed or pulling their masks down to talk with others, thereby negating any benefit a mask might have.

It’s also impossible to ignore that this surge in new COVID-19 cases began in the middle of June, a rather eventful month.

At least one of the protest marches following the killing of George Floyd was attended by an estimated 500-1,000 people. However, the protests and riots occurred in many California cities, and contrary to the stated aims of public health officials during an active pandemic, many lawmakers encouraged participation.

In fact, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti attended one of the protests himself and neglected to wear a mask. Garcetti would later concede that the protests were very likely linked to a large number of new cases.

From poor compliance to massive protests, many of the factors leading up to the surge in new cases were likely independent of reopening efforts, or of any policy aimed at mitigating the spread of COVID-19.

When the fervor following Floyd’s death reached a fever pitch, it was unlikely that the massive crowds would cooperate with social distancing and mitigation measures.

That said, if policymakers prioritized public health and suppressing the pandemic, they should not have encouraged protesting.

The good news is that bar patrons and protesters are typically much younger than the population at high risk for mortality or severe disease due to COVID-19. Between June 18 and July 7, California added more than 110,000 new cases, which represented a 72% increase.

The majority of cases are among people between 18 and 49 years of age, while the vast majority of mortality was among those 65 and older. The mortality rate currently remains low, and even though we expect mortality to lag cases, enough time has passed that we have not seen the expected rise in mortality.

There’s still time for that to change, but hopefully, a corresponding surge in deaths does not materialize.

California, like other states, is reacting to changing facts on the ground. The events of the past month have been extraordinary, but moving forward, all of us must continue to take the pandemic seriously while balancing the need to resume normal American life to the extent possible.

The increase in new cases is concerning—no matter the state—but we must temper our evaluation of the situation by relative risks to the younger population, who are less vulnerable to the severe disease manifestations.

There are reasons for optimism that, despite the large number of cases, we likely will not see a return to the dire situation that characterized the early stages of the pandemic.

Countries like India, Brazil, and pretty much the entire continent of Africa is so overwhelmed that they essentially gave on testing.  If I have to trust one country to keep accurate data then I'd put my faith in the US.  According to the CDC, 32,000 died from the flu in the US in the 2018/2019 season.  61,000 in the 2017/2018 season which was high.  Where as C19 is at what?  138K and counting?

I don’t believe those numbers tho. Stage 4 cancer and you got 3 months to live then die with a positive Covid test and it’s ruled Covid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I don’t believe those numbers tho. Stage 4 cancer and you got 3 months to live then die with a positive Covid test and it’s ruled Covid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Joe rogan was just talking about a guy he knew who was on deaths doorstep with heart issues and tested positive for covid and cause of death was listed as covid ,the family was trying to fight the cause of death. Hospitals get money for each covid case ,of course they're gonna inflate the numbers ,its a business and businesses exhist to make money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

Joe rogan was just talking about a guy he knew who was on deaths doorstep with heart issues and tested positive for covid and cause of death was listed as covid ,the family was trying to fight the cause of death. Hospitals get money for each covid case ,of course they're gonna inflate the numbers ,its a business and businesses exhist to make money.

for sure. i think it was $19K per covid case and $39K per covid death. Considering the millions each hospital lost in revenue because of no elective surgeries, they go for every other dollar they can get. I don't blame them. But clearly the numbers are skewed.

10 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I was with a doctor friend this weekend and I said "How do you see this ending?" and he said with a reliable treatment. Then he said "the best thing we have right now is hydroxychloroquine, its working very well but of course that cant be the answer"

The media would never advertise that .

• Like 1

A very difficult balance between keeping the United States economy  and slowing the spread of this SARS, virius.  Difficult times lie ahead for Politicians and Health Officials , as well sas the population.  

This Virus is real, spreading, and still very active in New York State. Be Proactive! Be Smart! Do The Research!  Follow guidelines!  

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Fauci is saying a year to a year and a half for masks ......  

CDC saying this fall and winter is going to be the worst....

All this is overwhelming. A lot of governor's that thought it wasn't going to be as bad now have states that are a mess now.  So it's hard to doubt the so called experts even though you want to. Even when they have gotten some things wrong. The possibilities are tough to see past. 

I think back to how many people thought it was no big deal when it was overseas, then 5 US cases, then a dozen, then bad in Washington state, then.....now 130,000 dead .  People who keep saying it's no big deal are blind. It's not the flu folks. It's just not .  And no one can disagree - we obviously aren't done with this yet.  

Didn't all of us think 911 was the event of our generation. I sure did. 

People that are saying ....more testing that's why more cases.....is not an arguement for anything when other states ERs are now overwhelmed as well.  Rises in hospitalization and deaths shows the path of the virus. 

It's not a "left" made up issue and it's not a "right" it's no big issue.  We need to get over that BS for a lot of reasons. 

I am not a particular fan of Trump or Cuomo and I can say I don't think either of them have done a particularly good job with this at all.  This shouldn't be a right or left issue but it seems that thats all how people see it. And yet here are the people in the US left in the middle still battling this problem with the worst numbers in the world. Maybe if the left and right could see each other's failures and victories and work with both we wouldn't be where we are at.  

My soapbox two cents for what it's worth. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Watch my video above ,they’re not “ overwhelmed “  yes it’s spreading faster, but the cases seem to be mild for the most part .

Do the math , 130,000 dead is almost a rounding error with a population of 330 million plus .

its A virus you’re not going to “ stop it “ that’s why originality it’s was ,just slow it down “ flatten the curve “ . Flatten the curve , means spread it out over time right ?  Same numbers will get it just over a longer period .

Never stopped seeing friends or family , I have maybe 5 hours of mask time since the get go , friends / relatives have visited from Delaware,Fla, and Texas , no problems  here .  The MRS is a double high risk as well .

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Watch my video above ,they’re not “ overwhelmed “  yes it’s spreading faster, but the cases seem to be mild for the most part .

Do the math , 130,000 dead is almost a rounding error with a population of 330 million plus .

its A virus you’re not going to “ stop it “ that’s why originality it’s was ,just slow it down “ flatten the curve “ . Flatten the curve , means spread it out over time right ?  Same numbers will get it just over a longer period .

Never stopped seeing friends or family , I have maybe 5 hours of mask time since the get go , friends / relatives have visited from Delaware,Fla, and Texas , no problems  here .  The MRS is a double high risk as well .

I believe most people will get c19.  They will not find a vaccine or cure. Haven't found one for the other covids out there, what makes them so sure they will with this one?

I've also have very little mask time. Don't think they help, as 90% don't wear them properly. I've had a few gatherings and been to a few. Zero issues. 

The curve has been flattened.  

Open everything up.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Actually that video proves my point. The reason that particular hospital and area isn't overwhelmed is because they had to setup so many more ventilators and ICU because of it.  It isn't the flu cause we don't have to do that for the flu.  Nor do we see 130,000 deaths in 4 month from the flu.  Arizona and a few others are at Max in ICU even with pre planning. To say this is a walk in the park and a rounding error is head in the sand.  Esp when it is possible and probable that we are far from done with it.  Because you don't have it and some family doesn't really prove much esp to 130,000 families who a year ago never heard of covid 19.  Just because something isn't happening at your kitchen table doesn't mean it isn't a major problem nor a rounding error.   When 130,000 and counting Americans die in 4 months it seems to have more gravity to most of us. 

Although I agree most of the cases seem mild that just means the infection rate is incredibly high.  Which means it's likely that more and more people will be infected and NY is likely to have another spread.  

I hope you can say it never effects your family or friends but this has killed more of us in 4 months than anything we've seen. And the forecasted possibilities worry me while the politics roll on. I hope you can continue to take it lightly as you have cause that means all went well with your family.  But it's a scary moment for the world right now. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Actually that video proves my point. The reason that particular hospital and area isn't overwhelmed is because they had to setup so many more ventilators and ICU because of it.  It isn't the flu cause we don't have to do that for the flu.  Nor do we see 130,000 deaths in 4 month from the flu.  Arizona and a few others are at Max in ICU even with pre planning. To say this is a walk in the park and a rounding error is head in the sand.  Esp when it is possible and probable that we are far from done with it.  Because you don't have it and some family doesn't really prove much esp to 130,000 families who a year ago never heard of covid 19.  Just because something isn't happening at your kitchen table doesn't mean it isn't a major problem nor a rounding error.   When 130,000 and counting Americans die in 4 months it seems to have more gravity to most of us. 

Although I agree most of the cases seem mild that just means the infection rate is incredibly high.  Which means it's likely that more and more people will be infected and NY is likely to have another spread.  

I hope you can say it never effects your family or friends but this has killed more of us in 4 months than anything we've seen. And the forecasted possibilities worry me while the politics roll on. I hope you can continue to take it lightly as you have cause that means all went well with your family.  But it's a scary moment for the world right now. 

The reason we don't have to do that with the flu is because the estimated number of flu vaccines is 170 million a year . 

Edited by Jeremy K
  • Like 1

Fauci is saying a year to a year and a half for masks ......  
CDC saying this fall and winter is going to be the worst....
All this is overwhelming. A lot of governor's that thought it wasn't going to be as bad now have states that are a mess now.  So it's hard to doubt the so called experts even though you want to. Even when they have gotten some things wrong. The possibilities are tough to see past. 
I think back to how many people thought it was no big deal when it was overseas, then 5 US cases, then a dozen, then bad in Washington state, then.....now 130,000 dead .  People who keep saying it's no big deal are blind. It's not the flu folks. It's just not .  And no one can disagree - we obviously aren't done with this yet.  
Didn't all of us think 911 was the event of our generation. I sure did. 
People that are saying ....more testing that's why more cases.....is not an arguement for anything when other states ERs are now overwhelmed as well.  Rises in hospitalization and deaths shows the path of the virus. 
It's not a "left" made up issue and it's not a "right" it's no big issue.  We need to get over that BS for a lot of reasons. 
I am not a particular fan of Trump or Cuomo and I can say I don't think either of them have done a particularly good job with this at all.  This shouldn't be a right or left issue but it seems that thats all how people see it. And yet here are the people in the US left in the middle still battling this problem with the worst numbers in the world. Maybe if the left and right could see each other's failures and victories and work with both we wouldn't be where we are at.  
My soapbox two cents for what it's worth. 

That is the most intelligent statement I’ve seen on this forum when it comes to Covid yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

The Covid being the same as the flu is like jumping out of a plane.  Except one  has a parachute (vaccine, OTC meds) and the other doesn't.  I assure you, reaction towards covid-19 would be completely different if we can stop by our local drug store and pick up some Thera-Covid.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Elmo said:

The Covid being the same as the flu is like jumping out of a plane.  Except one  has a parachute (vaccine, OTC meds) and the other doesn't.  I assure you, reaction towards covid-19 would be completely different if we can stop by our local drug store and pick up some Thera-Covid.

It interesting because they have a drug they are having pretty good success with but the media won't mention it because of a certain person talking about it ,the media ripped him for his comments and  they are still using the drug with success. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Come on, man, please get off this! We don't inflate the numbers. Having COVID cases works against us. We lost 150 MILLION dollars a month because of COVID. It just doesn't make any sense, except in some conspiracy fantasy world. Sorry to be so in your face, but this just isn't true. If you follow the $$, as you claim to, then you'd realize this.

• Like 1

The way the govt has set up the game, hospitals will lose millions no matter how they try to avoid it.  Who mandated they shut down?  Who is costing them those millions?  The only way they can even try to survive is by inflating the numbers to get the money the govt will give them.  Seems to me the govt has set up a game where you comply with their scam in order to survive, or you go broke and close your doors.  That's a powerful amount of control there and it appears it's being used to promote this horror story.

There's tons of evidence proving the numbers are being inflated.  Anyone that denies it is just living in denial.

This virus issue is being blown way out of proportion as far as it's risks to the general population.  There are many other risk factors in America right now taking ten times as many lives every year that have never been a concern for the govt and never caused the economy to shut down or deprive people of basic rights.  Why does COVID 19 rate such oppression?

It's massive manipulation being used to transform this country and your rights and freedoms. 

People better wake up and stop defending their own demise, which is not going to come from this virus.

I wonder how many of you virus fearing people have any clue what the ramifications of a total economic collapse look like.  You better start investigating that scenario so you understand exactly what your asking for when you keep supporting the destruction of the US and world economy thinking you are saving the world.

In the overall scheme of the most elite 1% in the world, no lives matter.