Non political corona virus thread

Al Bundy

I hope you dont get it. When you headed back yo the City? lol

Odds are I did. Over people in my building were positive tests. Another 100 or so weee positive for antibodies. I didn’t bother since I think the antibodies is pointless

It will be months. They told us to have everyone go up 50 floors on elevators limited to 4 people after forehead thermometer checks it would take 3-4 hours on a typical day. It many of my friends and some family are still in nyc living. They do the same as me, wear a mask if you have to go into stores etc. but otherwise live your life and wash your hands. Work never closed. We got a stern email that too many employees were coming into office a few weeks ago. There was over 100 one day and we only have 400 in nyc. Some don’t have a good home setup though, so they feel more productive in the office. I’m living my best life from home. Lost 22lbs and feel the best I’ve felt in years. I hope this becomes permanent so I can move farther away from nyc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Odds are I did. Over people in my building were positive tests. Another 100 or so weee positive for antibodies. I didn’t bother since I think the antibodies is pointless

It will be months. They told us to have everyone go up 50 floors on elevators limited to 4 people after forehead thermometer checks it would take 3-4 hours on a typical day. It many of my friends and some family are still in nyc living. They do the same as me, wear a mask if you have to go into stores etc. but otherwise live your life and wash your hands. Work never closed. We got a stern email that too many employees were coming into office a few weeks ago. There was over 100 one day and we only have 400 in nyc. Some don’t have a good home setup though, so they feel more productive in the office. I’m living my best life from home. Lost 22lbs and feel the best I’ve felt in years. I hope this becomes permanent so I can move farther away from nyc

Sounds good! Lost 22 lbs everyone gained! I'm just glad I'm done with that rat race in the city. I really feel for all of you.....I would not like to live city employment in the future. 

• Like 1

Sounds good! Lost 22 lbs everyone gained! I'm just glad I'm done with that rat race in the city. I really feel for all of you.....I would not like to live city employment in the future. 

The good news for me and others at my company is that our company has done well with remote working so maybe they will sublet floors out and save there and let people work from home permanently even if it’s 1-2 days a week

• Like 1

The last time I checked this thread, it was on page 8. Sorry, I didn’t read everything from there to here. Had too much going on. 

Sadly, Nanny has passed away. She lived through the Great Depression and helped The war effort by making uniforms for our boys in WWII. She made it through so much, only to have this damn virus take her out. Worst of all, couldn’t visit her and couldn’t have a wake. Her plot won’t even be used. Mandatory cremation. 

My daughter is still testing positive for the virus. She still has no sense of taste and fatigue, but no other symptoms. 

My granddaughter appears to be well. She has not tested positive a second time. 

Interestingly, my son in law never got sick, but tested positive for the anti-bodies. They want to study his immune system to see how that happened.  

• Sad 2

The last time I checked this thread, it was on page 8. Sorry, I didn’t read everything from there to here. Had too much going on. 
Sadly, Nanny has passed away. She lived through the Great Depression and helped The war effort by making uniforms for our boys in WWII. She made it through so much, only to have this damn virus take her out. Worst of all, couldn’t visit her and couldn’t have a wake. Her plot won’t even be used. Mandatory cremation. 
My daughter is still testing positive for the virus. She still has no sense of taste and fatigue, but no other symptoms. 
Interestingly, my son in law never got sick, but tested positive for the anti-bodies. They want to study his immune system to see how that happened.  

Sorry to hear about your loss.

There seems to be quite a few people i know who have had same household different symptoms as well. Just 1 example is I work with a girl who had a baby recently. She and the baby tested positive but no symptoms. The husband had bad symptoms. Not sure of his prior health though.

• Thanks 1

This is nothing like the flu.  Even the numbers don't support it.  30K to 60K people die annually from the flu in the US.  This thing is about to hit 100K in what?  3 months?  And that's with us throwing everything at it but the kitchen sink.

In all my life I've never heard of anyone passing from the flu.  You read about it so you know it's possible but it's almost mythical.  I know people who have passed from COVID 19.  So many people I talk to know of someone who has passed from it.

I’m not saying you’re making light of it, but there’s is a narrative out there that compares it to the flu in an effort to lessen the perceived risk and danger. 
I learned a new word today: micromort. Basically, the one-in-a-million chance anyone has of dying in a certain situation. 
Understand that this is under the extreme (for America) restrictions. 

"A useful way to understand risks is by comparing them with what is called a “micromort,” which measures a one-in-a-million chance of dying. Note that we are considering only fatality risks here, not the risk of growing sick from coronavirus, or morbidity. The micromort allows one to easily compare the risk of dying from skydiving, for example (7 micromorts per jump), or going under general anesthesia in the United States (5 micromorts), to that of giving birth in the United States (210 micromorts).

The average American endures about one micromort of risk per day, or one in a million chance of dying, from nonnatural causes, such as being electrocuted, dying in a car wreck or being struck by an asteroid (the list is long).

Let’s apply this concept to Covid-19.

Using data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, New York City experienced approximately 24,000 excess deaths from March 15 to May 9, when the pandemic was peaking. That’s 24,000 more deaths than would have normally occurred during the same time period in previous years, without this pandemic. This statistic is considered a more accurate estimate of the overall mortality risk related to Covid-19 than using the reported number of deaths resulting from confirmed cases, since it captures indirect deaths associated with Covid-19 (because of an overwhelmed health care system, for example) as well as the deaths caused by the virus itself.

Converting this to micromort language, an individual living in New York City has experienced roughly 50 additional micromorts of risk per day because of Covid-19. That means you were roughly twice as likely to die as you would have been if you were serving in the U.S. armed forces in Afghanistan throughout 2010, a particularly deadly year."
Article
[mention=654]knehrke[/mention] Feeling extremely cautious.

How many more micromorts for someone under the age of 60?

The winter of 2017, the flu killed 80,000 people in the US.  The flu is not a year round problem.  It is seasonal.  Normal flu seasons run from October through March and kill between 12,000 and 60,000 in the US every year.

https://www.statnews.com/2018/09/26/cdc-us-flu-deaths-winter/

In 2018 we had a bad flu season as well.  https://www.statnews.com/2018/01/08/flu-virus-h3n2/  It killed 35,000 in the US.

We had a flu pandemic in 1968-1969 and we also had Woodstock in the summer of 1969.  It killed 100,000 in the US.  https://www.biospace.com/article/the-1968-pandemic-strain-h3n2-persists-will-covid-19-/

COVID has killed 80,000 but is starting to wind down.  It seems very prevalent if you live in a COVID hot spot, and NYC is ground zero for COVID.  Many areas of the country have experienced few to no deaths from COVID at all.  In that regard, COVID closely mimics any past seasonal flu, though it is a very severe flu like respiratory illness and there was no preventative vaccine prior to it's inception.  Had there been a vaccine,  COVID deaths to date would have been very similar to past flu season deaths.

Edited by Rattler

CDC officials do not have exact counts of how many people die from flu each year. Flu is so common that not all flu cases are reported, and flu is not always listed on death certificates. So the CDC uses statistical models, which are periodically revised, to make estimates.

The 1918 flu pandemic, which lasted nearly two years, killed more than 500,000 Americans, historians estimate.  https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1918-pandemic-h1n1.html

Edited by Rattler

The flu kills up to 80k people a year and that's with 162 - 169 million people receiving the vaccine yearly . Not a single person recieved a vaccination for covid (obviously) something that most people leave out of the argument when comparing this to the flu.

• Like 4

The flu kills up to 80k people a year and that's with 162 - 169 million people receiving the vaccine yearly . Not a single person recieved a vaccination for covid (obviously) something that most people leave out of the argument when comparing this to the flu.

And most years it kills far less than 80k most years it’s much closer to 45k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obey the laws 

And wear the gauze 

Protect your jaws 

From Septic Paws

image.jpeg.b16975083ab097aee6e23deaff294212.jpeg

Authoritative Measures 

The public health authorities in both the United States and Europe took up fundamental measures to control epidemics that dated back to Medieval times of the Bubonic Plague. They aimed to reduce the transmission of the pathogen by preventing contact. They framed their public health orders in scientific ideas of their understanding of how the influenza microbe spread through the air by coughing and sneezing, and their conception of the pathogenesis of influenza. Since they concluded that the pathogen was transmitted through the air, efforts to control contagion were organized to prevent those infected from sharing the same air as the uninfected. Public gatherings and the coming together of people in close quarters was seen as a potential agency for the transmission of the disease. The public health authorities believed that good ventilation and fresh air were "the best of all general measures for prevention, and this implies the avoidance of crowded meetings," (BMJ, 10/19/1918). This translated into the controversial and imperative measure of closing of many public institutions and banning of public gatherings during the time of an epidemic. 

aphalogo.gif

The rigidity of these regulations varied immensely with the power of the local health departments and severity of the influenza outbreak. In the United States, the Committee of the American Public Health Association ( APHA) issued measures in a report to limit large gatherings. The committee held that any type of gathering of people, with the mixing of bodies and sharing of breath in crowded rooms, was dangerous. Nonessential meetings were to be prohibited. They determined that saloons, dance halls, and cinemas should be closed and public funerals should be prohibited since they were unnecessary assemblies. Churches were allowed to remain open, but the committee believed that only the minimum services should be conducted and the intimacy reduced. Street cars were thought to be a special menace to society with poor ventilation, crowding and uncleanliness. The committee encouraged the staggering of opening and closing hours in stores and factories to prevent overcrowding and for people to walk to work when possible (JAMA, 12/21/1918). Some of the regulations in Britain were milder, such as limiting music hall performances to less than three consecutive hours and allowing a half-hour for ventilation between shows (BMJ, 11/30/1918). In Switzerland, theaters, cinemas, concerts and shooting matches were all suspended when the epidemic struck, which led to a state of panic (BMJ, 10/19/1918). This variation in response was most likely due to differences in authority of the public health agencies and societal acceptance of their measures as necessary. This necessitated a shared belief in the concept of contagion and some faith in the actions of science to allow them to overcome this plague.

https://virus.stanford.edu/uda/fluresponse.html

@First-light you are my lucky charm! We got an email today saying that returning to the NYC office will be gradual and voluntary. Further, it says people can and should make summer plans and other decisions with total confidence that the firm’s position is that working remotely will be permitted – and indeed strongly encouraged – for the foreseeable future and at least through the summer months.

The year of the Biz continues!

• Haha 1

Very sorry for your loss.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

It's not left out.  It is very much the fact.  COVID19 is a variation of the flu but it's a variation that we don't have Robitussin for.  If COVID19 has a vaccine and you can go into your local grocery store and buy an over the counter medicine for it then everyone's attitude towards COVID19 is completely different.

18 minutes ago, Dr. Jerkman said:

That's because your daughter is sucking the life out of you. You can take my professional opinion to the bank. I am a Dr. after all.

I'm Surgical

No way. it's not eating dinners at 9pm anymore along with lifting 3-4x per week during the day. I already had a ton of energy, now I have even more!

No way. it's not eating dinners at 9pm anymore along with lifting 3-4x per week during the day. I already had a ton of energy, now I have even more!
False. Definitely having a kid. They drain you of your lifeblood. In the best way possible of course but definitely that's what it is. Exercise does nothing it's all fake news

I'm Surgical

9 minutes ago, Dr. Jerkman said:

False. Definitely having a kid. They drain you of your lifeblood. In the best way possible of course but definitely that's what it is. Exercise does nothing it's all fake news

I'm Surgical

nope. i think usually people gain weight by having as kid, but she has been a breeze for the most part. she wants to play all day long and sleep at night. 

• Like 2

I have several relative that all had kids around the same time.  My youngest was born less than a week than after my cousins.  We noticed a huge difference between boys and girls.  Girls tend to develop intellectually faster and are calmer while the boys tends to develop physically first and tends to explore more.  My youngest is 5 months younger than my SIL's daughter but you can have a full conversation with her while my boy is like "Me...Tarzan.  You come." but he learned to walk before her and now climbs to the top of the dinner table on his own and jumps from it.  My SIL has since also had a boy and she now notices the difference too.  After the girl she thought it was easy but not now with the boy.  He has more energy, is up later, and the moment she turns her head for a second, he commando-crawls his way to the kitchen.  She now has to be on every single second.