You Must Wear a Mask in public starting Friday

CharlieNY

2 minutes ago, virgil said:

Fine.  But, it's not smart to disregard the message because you don't like the messenger.  Cuomo's directive comes based on the advice of experts- not on a whim.  The only reason that we're starting to see some positive trends in slowing this thing down is because most people are 'falling into lockstep'.

and yet it has started to come down without the mask restriction. 

• Like 3

Just now, Culvercreek hunt club said:

and yet it has started to come down without the mask restriction. 

So, you're comfortable with the number of positives and deaths that you're seeing daily?  No need to try to do better? 

1 minute ago, virgil said:

No, I'm not.  That's a silly comparison that I'm not gonna debate. 

But that comparison  and many like it are the underlying issues that have many on edge. It is naive to think that the Liberal Progressives are not sitting there and  evaluating the social reaction to such mandates. 

• Like 2

This should not even be an argument... Just wear a friggin mask or bandana... If anyone thinks that wearing a mask is not gonna help this situation then you should be fitted for a tin foil hat............... Just do it cause if you dont then captain dipshit the governor is really gonna f--- with us............

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Imagine 6 months ago if you walked into a bank with a bandanna covering your face . You would be interviewed by officers in a matter of minutes.  

are banks even open? my brother's fiance works at one and it's drive through only for a while now. I haven't tried to go to one in over a month.

There is a registered legitimate clinical study happening now in Denmark to measure the efficacy of masks for wuhan flu. I’m not sure how this study will be quantified but it’s supposed to end in July.  Results should be interesting. I tend to think wearing gloves is much better. Seems to me unless someone is in your face coughing on you, not a huge chance you’ll get it. If you touch a subway pole that got the virus on it, and you touch with gloves, you aren’t going to be as likely to touch an orifice.. But such is my thinking. 

I do not have the right to infect you, and you do not have the right to infect me... so wear the damn mask!

I had to go to Home Depot yesterday for my job... not my personal choice to go there.  They are letting 75 people in the store at a time but they are not monitoring that.  There were at least 75 cars in the lot and obviously more than 75 people in the store.  My rough estimate is that 25 %  of the shoppers had masks and most did not practice social distancing.. I have to keep dodging people because they're going to get in "my space".  I even saw a grandmother with an infant in the cart.. no mask on either one of them and obviously not trying to keep away from other people .  Only a few employees were wearing masks also.   Some people just don't care or think that something bad like covid can't happen to them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

There is a registered legitimate clinical study happening now in Denmark to measure the efficacy of masks for wuhan flu. I’m not sure how this study will be quantified but it’s supposed to end in July.  Results should be interesting. I tend to think wearing gloves is much better. Seems to me unless someone is in your face coughing on you, not a huge chance you’ll get it. If you touch a subway pole that got the virus on it, and you touch with gloves, you aren’t going to be as likely to touch an orifice.. But such is my thinking. 

I honestly believe that the masks do not offer that kind of protection and the particles are much smaller than the masks can filter... but is surly cannot hurt to wear one to minimize the odds of getting or transferring the virus.

2 minutes ago, Arcade Hunter said:

I honestly believe that the masks do not offer that kind of protection and the particles are much smaller than the masks can filter... but is surly cannot hurt to wear one to minimize the odds of getting or transferring the virus.

that's not a belief, that's a fact. only an n95 or greater is capable of preventing the wearer from contracting the airborne particles. the fabric coverings prevent the spread of water droplets from the wearer. 

the end result is the same, but please don't feel like you're somehow "protected" because you're not.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

this applies to areas where you cannot maintain social distancing, and it is not to protect you, it is to prevent you from unknowingly, or those that go out in public when they're sick, from spreading it to others. 

Agreed, Belo.  No one has the right to infect me , so wear the mask if you have to go out.  It certainly cannot hurt and its just a small measure, but not doing it is blatant disregard  for others.   I am ok with this being mandatory

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Belo said:

that's not a belief, that's a fact. only an n95 or greater is capable of preventing the wearer from contracting the airborne particles. the fabric coverings prevent the spread of water droplets from the wearer. 

the end result is the same, but please don't feel like you're somehow "protected" because you're not.

I totally agree.  I feel better knowing that I am doing the best I can for myself and others around me.

18 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

gloves are only as good as the person wearing them.

Think of it like this. The virus can stick to surfaces much like honey or oil would stick to your counter if you spilled it.Then you touch it with your hand. Everything you touch after gets the honey or oil. Now if you consider that you put on some gloves, would that change anything? No, not really. You're still continuing to touch everything and spread it. But consider you put on the gloves to clean up the honey/oil and then properly doffed the gloves. Wallah! 

With some respects gloves are worse. People stop washing their hands, but keep touching their phones, steering wheels and other surfaces that they then later touch with their bare hands (which is safe btw, it doesn't transmit though skin). But then we touch our face, nose, food, mouth. And that's how it spreads.

But this isn't honey or oil and we can't see it. which is why it's such a mother f*cker!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Belo said:

gloves are only as good as the person wearing them.

Think of it like this. The virus can stick to surfaces much like honey or oil would stick to your counter if you spilled it.Then you touch it with your hand. Everything you touch after gets the honey or oil. Now if you consider that you put on some gloves, would that change anything? No, not really. You're still continuing to touch everything and spread it. But consider you put on the gloves to clean up the honey/oil and then properly doffed the gloves. Wallah! 

With some respects gloves are worse. People stop washing their hands, but keep touching their phones, steering wheels and other surfaces that they then later touch with their bare hands (which is safe btw, it doesn't transmit though skin). But then we touch our face, nose, food, mouth. And that's how it spreads.

But this isn't honey or oil and we can't see it. which is why it's such a mother f*cker!

I have seen this on social media nd not sure it isn't just staged but it sure illustrated your points

The 23 Biggest Facepalms We Found On The Internet Last Week

• Like 3

Gloves aren’t some kind of magical force field. I’d much rather use a wipe for doors, etc and wash, wash, wash my hands. 

I think the mask is a necessary order.

The idea that “liberal progressives” are evaluating the reaction to a mask mandate seems silly. My guess is that they (like everyone) are hunkered at home figuring out how to protect their families and stave off financial ruin as this pandemic upends life as they know it. 

That would be my guess but I’m naive in these things. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I have seen this on social media nd not sure it isn't just staged but it sure illustrated your points

The 23 Biggest Facepalms We Found On The Internet Last Week

Not to mention that there are used gloves laying around in all the parking lots .... not fair to the folks that have to pick them up and toss them in the trash.

• Like 1

I will avoid wearing a mask as much as possible by staying the hell away from everyone as much as possible.  I know I'm not a carrier and only worry other's are.  I will only go places I know people will not be getting close to me.  I went to the super market a month ago and stocked up on everything I need to get by for at least a month.  I'm eating less and losing weight too.  That's a good thing, and from what I hear, not the norm.  I stayed as far from everyone as I could and washed my hands as soon as I could afterwards.

I keep busy watching the grand kids and working around the home.  If I have to wear the mask I will, but it's to protect myself from others who might give me the virus.  Don't come near me and you won't have to worry about me not wearing a mask.

If you do not know about cross contamination, don't bother with gloves.  They are meant for single use activity only.  If you don't know how to properly remove them, you are wasting time wearing them.  Unless you are going to have an entire box of latex gloves with you all day, you're better off washing your hands a lot and using hand sanitizer.

• Like 2

I'm not going to wear one. With all the lemmings wearing one I won't have to. Think how long if ever it will take for this A-hole to give up his power. We have people calling 911 on there neighbors. Telling on them for rule violations of the lock down. What does that sound like may-be Nazi Germany! It's going to be hard to get out from under this seeing we have already given up so much of are liberties willingly. :ireful:

• Like 5

2 hours ago, knehrke said:

So, your right to ignore the masking policy supersedes somebody else's right to go into public without having to chance catching the virus from you? I suppose that defines how you think then. It's very different from how I think. Where do you draw the line? If you actually have the virus, should you still have the right to go around infecting people? Or is ignorance bliss, and it's only your uncertainty that allows you to make these choices? In terms of cost-benefit, where is the moral imperative? Does it change your viewpoint if it's your mother, wife, or progeny who is exposed to a carrier because of THEIR right not to wear a mask? What if they subsequently die? These are not rhetorical questions. These are questions that we all need to ask ourselves. I do not advocate giving up our individual rights entirely to kowtow the public interests, but there has to be balance IMHO.

Masks will protect other people from me. It's a low cost to me, and so I will wear one when social distancing isn't possible. And I will refuse to interact with folks who don't wear them. In fact, if there's a mandate to wear them, I'll turn them in, same as I would a poacher. That's my choice. This is war and I refuse to side with the enemy. 

You do what you feel is best for you. This isn't going away anytime soon unfortunately, but I would rather enjoy life then worry constantly about it.

And nope, I am not wearing a mask cause the emperor said so

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Just Lucky said:

If you are mentally that concerned, then yes you should, to protect those that you would be taking care of. If your mind is somewhere else you'd be more likely to make mistakes

People like you are the reason that healthcare workers get burnt out- no concern for others and defiantly proud of your thoughtlessness.  But, we don't stay home because we need to help the innocent people who are unnecessarily infected by imbeciles.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1