You Must Wear a Mask in public starting Friday

CharlieNY

1 hour ago, Rattler said:

I will avoid wearing a mask as much as possible by staying the hell away from everyone as much as possible.  I know I'm not a carrier and only worry other's are.  I will only go places I know people will not be getting close to me.  I went to the super market a month ago and stocked up on everything I need to get by for at least a month.  I'm eating less and losing weight too.  That's a good thing, and from what I hear, not the norm.  I stayed as far from everyone as I could and washed my hands as soon as I could afterwards.

I keep busy watching the grand kids and working around the home.  If I have to wear the mask I will, but it's to protect myself from others who might give me the virus.  Don't come near me and you won't have to worry about me not wearing a mask.

If you do not know about cross contamination, don't bother with gloves.  They are meant for single use activity only.  If you don't know how to properly remove them, you are wasting time wearing them.  Unless you are going to have an entire box of latex gloves with you all day, you're better off washing your hands a lot and using hand sanitizer.

Wise choice to stay away from other people.  But, you are wrong to assume that you are not a carrier.  You have mentioned that you are watching your grandkids because your daughter is a nurse in a hospital.  That means that she is obviously exposed, as are her children.  That means that you are also potentially exposed.  This is exactly the reason that people are being told to wear masks.  By the time you show symptoms, you've been infected for days- and further spreading it.

Edited by virgil
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If know one want to wear a mask because Cuomo said. Then wear it because the CDC advises us too.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/diy-cloth-face-coverings.html
I’m just curious how often does everyone go out it crowded places at this time? I have to go restock tomorrow and I’m not looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Elmo said:

The mask is not to protect you.  It's to prevent you from spreading it in the event you're a silent carrier.

At nearly 0% effectiveness. The old "we need to show we are doing something" even if in reality it does nothing.

Just a distraction and resume padding

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, left field said:

Not sure if I’m reminded more of those people who refuse to leave their homes as a wildfire sweeps down toward them or the pastors who laughed at the Coronavirus hysteria and refused to social distance and are now dead. 

Tough call. 

Definitely the pastors.  At least the wildfire folks only endangered themselves with their stupidity- unless you count the first responders that they'll surely call when the fire is at their doorstep.

1 hour ago, virgil said:

Wise choice to stay away from other people.  But, you are wrong to assume that you are not a carrier.  You have mentioned that you are watching your grandkids because your daughter is a nurse in a hospital.  That means that she is obviously exposed, as are her children.  That means that you are also potentially exposed.  This is exactly the reason that people are being told to wear masks.  By the time you show symptoms, you've been infected for days- and further spreading it.

My daughter the nurse (unit manager) hasn't been home, around me or the grand kids for 3 weeks.  She stays in the hospital's quarters and isn't allowed to leave.  It's some kind of specialty care facility.  They cater to all of her needs and pay her a huge bonus to stay and not take any days off.  The kids and I are alone all day.  Their aunt on the father's side takes them on weekends and she has been in self isolation for 4 weeks, as she is scared to death of the virus.  I think I'm OK here.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SteveB said:

At nearly 0% effectiveness. The old "we need to show we are doing something" even if in reality it does nothing.

I honestly believe that masks are way more effective than most people and even the experts think.  Notice how the Asian countries have managed this virus way better than Europe and the US?  I'm sure wearing masks had at least a little to do with this.

I get the slippery slope scenario with society being ordered to do this and that, but at this point it may not be worth taking unnecessary chances.  Lets just all hope that we can somehow get rid of this freaking virus and hopefully get back to normal soon.

Edited by steve863
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I just went to walmart and people cant even follow a frigging arrow sticker on the floor. Its a wonder we arent all dead.

WALMART!!!! Are you freeking crazy, walmart is normally a 50/50 chance of bringing home a disease on a good day pre-COVID19

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SteveB said:

this is incorrect, i've said this 100x. You're not protecting yourself, you're protecting the public and you're being protected from the public who may be carries, even without symptoms. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I just went to walmart and people cant even follow a frigging arrow sticker on the floor. Its a wonder we arent all dead.

a few weeks ago i was going to wegmans to fill a script for my kid with strep. I waited at the doors as a few people in front of me grabbed carts, you know... giving them their space. This early 20's something girl literally brushes past me, head glued to her phone and grabs a cart next to the old couple who I was giving space too. I did my best old man gruff (i'm 36) and she couldn't care less. 

Wondering how the courts of NY would look upon our use of exercising our right to use our CC's if presented with this situation. I mean, Corona kills right?

The “Stand Your Ground” law pivots on two presumptions when defending a criminal defendant making a self defense case.

1. It is presumed that the defendant had a reasonable fear that deadly force was necessary in the given situation.
  2. It is presumed that the intruder was intending to commit an unlawful act involving life threatening violence or force.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rattler said:

I have N95 masks and I'm sure they work really well.

Once they come up with a vaccine, things will come back to normal (except for the mini chip implant they will implant with the vaccine) :taunt:

the n95 is a different story. It indeed does protect YOU, the wearer from the virus. However, it's still important that you maintain a good seal as it's a negative pressure filtering facepiece. Any beard or wrinkle in how it's applied that lets air enter your lungs unfiltered will render it far less effectivee. If you are going to wear an n95, you need to shave!

edit to say, this is why the mustache is so popular with our firefighters. The cannot have facial hair beyond the stash area. fun fact ;)

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Belo said:

the n95 is a different story. It indeed does protect YOU, the wearer from the virus. However, it's still important that you maintain a good seal as it's a negative pressure filtering facepiece. Any beard or wrinkle in how it's applied that lets air enter your lungs unfiltered will render it far less effectivee. If you are going to wear an n95, you need to shave!

edit to say, this is why the mustache is so popular with our firefighters. The cannot have facial hair beyond the stash area. fun fact ;)

When you put on the mask, breath out long and slow.  You'll feel if any air escapes through the sides.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Belo said:

so real talk, I'm saving my n95s. I'm thinking of loaning the wife my light weight turkey headgear, and would wear the same. Anyone else besides me and bill?

I dont even own a single N95 mask , i have no choice but a piece of cloth

so real talk, I'm saving my n95s. I'm thinking of loaning the wife my light weight turkey headgear, and would wear the same. Anyone else besides me and bill?

Not the one bill is wearing it’s mesh(useless) the one Rattler posted also you or your wife could use a scarf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Belo said:

I wear my N95 when I know I'm going into a crowded place (supermarket, etc).  I use the surgical masks any other time.