You Must Wear a Mask in public starting Friday

CharlieNY

7 hours ago, Nomad said:

My problem with the masks is so many have no clue how to wear , don, doff or handle them correctly  . Your homemade mask, surgical masks, don’t  seal property ,nor filter to the necessary micron level to stop the virus . Few can tell you if they wear one to protect the wearer or those around them .....  

Then if you actually know it’s to protect others from you , you have to consider the mask contaminated, after wearing no ?  So no touching the mask , no putting it in your pocket, purse , on the car seat etc, as that would contaminate those surfaces too .

The dept I worked for still considers a N95 a one time use only , and its put in a bio hazard bag after use for proper disposal, so yes seeing folks reuse ,touch , stick in their purse a homemade mask, seems well, less then ideal,  to be polite . It’s kinda like reusing a condom .

3CD45BF4-42DF-4A23-A4DF-56397C45BFD2.jpeg

I feel like the push for masks is more to keep people from putting their hands on their face with germ hands . Obviously you cant tell people that or they would never wear them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I feel like the push for masks is more to keep people from putting their hands on their face with germ hands . Obviously you cant tell people that or they would never wear them.

This is how Dr.Birx explain the idea of the mask when a reporter ask her..

39 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

But if you watch people they are touching their face more now with the mask. I understand your theory but it is actually opposite. 

Yesterday, while working, since masks are now mandatory in the store, I seen more families out and about and far less social distancing.  That is a problem with face coverings, it is giving a huge false sense of security to people.

• Like 1

If it's to prevent you from touching your face then they would also ask you to wear goggles too to prevent you from rubbing your eyes.  It's to prevent water droplets from exiting your mouth,/nose when you cough or sneeze and even when you talk.  We see a little spec of spit fly out of someone's mouth when they talk every once in a blue moon but we don't say anything.  It's also to reduce the distance vapor travels when you do cough/sneeze/breath.

19 minutes ago, Los Lobos said:

I live in the Country, nearest neighbor is 1 mile away, that's how I like it, ALONE!!   When the need comes  to venture out among the population, then it's the old stand by.  Yep, my old and trusty Gas Mask from days gone by.  Mine- M-17

Vintage US M-17 Military Gas Mask Vietnam Era by SwankyDameVintage ...

Now that would be a scream walking around NYC streets or taking the Subway !   LOL

It's okay, you could only spread the virus or get the virus after 8PM on Friday. :rolleyes:

I believe the photo was taken on Thursday. It doesn't matter, he's been telling people to wear masks in public long before he made it "mandatory."  He's too important and too busy vote pandering to maintain "social distancing".   "Do as I say, not as I do."

Edited by cas

My brother sent me this and asked if I know the guy, since he's a Prof of Neurobiology at Univ of Utah who studies the link between memory and viruses. I don't, but I'm going to look him up now. He's got a great voice and nails all of the misinformation being spread currently. Have fun - and make sure that somebody calls me a liberal, sheep, or snowflake - just so I know that I'm doing my job lol.

https://medium.com/swlh/misinformation-goes-viral-1aad951e4492

PS. FYI, I'm a Republican moderate who thinks that Trump's policies would make more sense if he'd shut up, quit trying to rewrite history, and just admit when he made a damn mistake. In other words, I'm proponent of the truth, no matter how ugly. And apparently a cowgirl lol. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, knehrke said:

PS. FYI, I'm a Republican moderate who thinks that Trump's policies would make more sense if he'd shut up, quit trying to rewrite history, and just admit when he made a damn mistake. In other words, I'm proponent of the truth, no matter how ugly. And apparently a cowgirl lol. 

I think EVERYBODY wishes Trump would just Shut Up !

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, knehrke said:

My brother sent me this and asked if I know the guy, since he's a Prof of Neurobiology at Univ of Utah who studies the link between memory and viruses. I don't, but I'm going to look him up now. He's got a great voice and nails all of the misinformation being spread currently. Have fun - and make sure that somebody calls me a liberal, sheep, or snowflake - just so I know that I'm doing my job lol.

How dare you bring moderate reasoned science-based facts to this discussion AND throw a little shade at the chosen one. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You know, it's funny. I have these same conversations with my buddies who I hunt and fish with, and to them I'm way left. And when I preach moderation to my colleagues in academia, I'm way right. Which I suspect means that I'm right where I need to be. Proud to be a cowgirl, lol - that was great BTW.

• Like 6

Here, I’m a flaming libtard. 
In NYC, I’m a curiosity to my friends but tolerable.
To my Hollywood family, I’m a fire-breathing Trump loving, white supremacist Nazi. 

Really, I just want to be a 5’5” tapdancing, singing, one-eyed black Jew married to a Swedish babe. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, knehrke said:

Actually, this is based on one persons opinion, backed by not much. I’m familiar with nextstrain.org and they have actually changed the data since I found it some weeks ago.  It clearly showed a strain  from wuhan in LA area as well as Seattle area in January. NOT from Europe as the author incorrectly concluded. Same for nyc, at first the line was from wuhan area, followed by cases from Europe. This incorrect assumption from the author raises concern about the rest of the conclusions being erroneous as well. 

11 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

Actually, this is based on one persons opinion, backed by not much. I’m familiar with nextstrain.org and they have actually changed the data since I found it some weeks ago.  It clearly showed a strain  from wuhan in LA area as well as Seattle area in January. NOT from Europe as the author incorrectly concluded. Same for nyc, at first the line was from wuhan area, followed by cases from Europe. This incorrect assumption from the author raises concern about the rest of the conclusions being erroneous as well. 

Ah; but Science isn't static. As more genomes are sequenced, the unrooted phylogenetic map is refined. So yes, the data has changed. This is how models are built. Conclusions can shift with new data. But make no mistake: it is data driven. It is not opinion. And the data is there for anyone to analyze. And the strain definitely came from Wuhan; the missing arrows were fit into the model as more data emerged. It doesn't mean the original conclusion was wrong. Think about a delivery originating NYC and going to LA. That's all we know. Except we then find out that it went through Omaha on the way. So would it be incorrect to posit that Omaha and LA are closer together than NYC and LA? Of course not. And we can refine this as we put more points on the map. That's what they're doing, using genome data.

As an expert in the field, I do not see any underlying incorrect assumptions. Conclusions based on a limited data set need to be tempered. It's good to be skeptical. But leading off with "this is one person's opinion", when the nextstrain.org site clearly represents aggregate genome sequencing data obtained from multiple sources and analyzed using unbiased methods by multiple authors, suggests an attempt to discredit. I will use your own words -"backed not by much". Unless you meant to argue with the author of the NYT article, perhaps? Regardless, I would be pleased to consider a stronger argument if you can present one. Until then, I find myself unable to poke holes in their analysis.

• Like 2