2020 discounted hunts?

BizCT

Due to coronavirus and lack of travel, will this drive the price down on 2020 hunts out west and in canada? might be a prime year to get a steal of a hunt. maybe of these outfitters rely solely on guiding for their income.

Yeah, The border is closed for all non-essential travel...I don't think the Canucks would consider gobbler hunting or spring bear hunting essential... Hopefully, by fall, things will be re-opening...

This will be the first Ontario gobbler season I have missed in 20 years...

Edited by Pygmy
  • Sad 1

My $5000 fully guided hunt in the finger lakes is now only $3500 Biz.  Take advantage.   6 days and no trophy fees.   

Lol. You’d still be the highest priced outfitter in NY at that rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a bowhunt in Illinois end of October. Outfitter said not to send deposit. He's not to confident. 

There’s a lot of mixed emotions on Bowsite about deposits. For this big sheep and bear hunts that are $30-40K. Tough for outfitters to refund money they already spent

10 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

There’s a lot of mixed emotions on Bowsite about deposits. For this big sheep and bear hunts that are $30-40K. Tough for outfitters to refund money they already spent

Ya, never really thought about the big dollar hunts. I imagine the money starts flowing through the outfitters hands well before the hunt even starts. 

Little easier for the average whitetail outfitter. 

• Like 1

You can get a flight to Denver for 2nd season rifle hunt for $140. I booked mine. I never flew frontier before. Only thing I know is I they charge for bags. That I don’t like but the round trip price is one you can’t beat.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mowin said:

Ya, never really thought about the big dollar hunts. I imagine the money starts flowing through the outfitters hands well before the hunt even starts. 

Little easier for the average whitetail outfitter. 

The outfit I have used in Zimbabwe spends close to $400,000 a season to just open camps/ pay gov't fees for concession/ year round anti poaching patrol. Their anti poaching team of 22 has in 6 years turned a so-so area of 500,000 acres (2x size of all Catskill park) into one of the premier areas along the Zambezi, and is a model for others now.

They will make ZERO income this year. Even hunts in 2021 are unsure due to airline restrictions on incoming foreign nationals going into the future. Re starting airline travel international is going to be problematic at best.

The neighboring areas that allow hunting in trade for meat and cash (that also expands the area to 1 million acres) are screwed too.......schools, medical care,infrastructure projects all depend on hunter income.

Poaching even without the camera safaris afield has already increased substantially, let alone adding in the hunting concessions.

Many who can't absorb the hit will fold up shop over this.

Most outfits I know are working with clients to move hunts forward....most don't want to cancel with a refund, they want the damn hunt of a lifetime!

This is epic for places like New Zealand that draws huge numbers of tourists; although hunter dollars make up just a small portion.

Sad days for international hunting.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

The outfit I have used in Zimbabwe spends close to $400,000 a season to just open camps/ pay gov't fees for concession/ year round anti poaching patrol. Their anti poaching team of 22 has in 6 years turned a so-so area of 500,000 acres (2x size of all Catskill park) into one of the premier areas along the Zambezi, and is a model for others now.

They will make ZERO income this year. Even hunts in 2021 are unsure due to airline restrictions on incoming foreign nationals going into the future. Re starting airline travel international is going to be problematic at best.

The neighboring areas that allow hunting in trade for meat and cash (that also expands the area to 1 million acres) are screwed too.......schools, medical care,infrastructure projects all depend on hunter income.

Poaching even without the camera safaris afield has already increased substantially, let alone adding in the hunting concessions.

Many who can't absorb the hit will fold up shop over this.

Most outfits I know are working with clients to move hunts forward....most don't want to cancel with a refund, they want the damn hunt of a lifetime!

This is epic for places like New Zealand that draws huge numbers of tourists; although hunter dollars make up just a small portion.

Sad days for international hunting.

So many economic hits coming that the common man/no hunter would never think of.  Disastrous is too nice a word for it......

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 3

So many economic hits coming that the common man/no hunter would never think of.  Disastrous is too nice a word for it......

But on the bright side could this open the opportunity for discounted cancelation Hunts? Maybe the hunter is scared to travel or lost job and can no longer afford the balance?

We may be sitting in a blind together bowhunting leopards over bait soon!

2 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

But on the bright side could this open the opportunity for discounted cancelation Hunts? Maybe the hunter is scared to travel or lost job and can no longer afford the balance?

I know where there is a $23,000 grizz hunt in Alaska for $14000 in  June because of a cancelation from virus.

But there are deals all the time because of issues with hunts. Almost everything I have done is because of some special circumstances about timing that made the price more agreeable; and I had the financial resources  ready to take advantage.

• Like 3

I know where there is a $23,000 grizz hunt in Alaska for $14000 in  June because of a cancelation from virus.

But there are deals all the time because of issues with hunts. Almost everything I have done is because of some special circumstances about timing that made the price more agreeable; and I had the financial resources  ready to take advantage.

Wow that’s a great deal. I think I may have told you this- The guy I got my lynx with in BC got a few grizzly tags a few years later. Could have went for like $10K ($5K Hunt, $5K trophy fee- he was that confident). Then a year or two later he didn’t have the tags anymore. I regret it now.

20 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Wow that’s a great deal. I think I may have told you this- The guy I got my lynx with in BC got a few grizzly tags a few years later. Could have went for like $10K ($5K Hunt, $5K trophy fee- he was that confident). Then a year or two later he didn’t have the tags anymore. I regret it now.

It happens....

I got a tip from a respectable agent about them closing Polar Bear for import to US; everyone else in the industry had the Feds keeping it open, just adjusting paperwork etc.

Well I booked first safari with the money and sure enough they closed it the following spring and I could have gone in under the wire to get a hide back.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda

Honest I think the whole Leopard import thing will be shut down soon; and instead of messing around I should drop the coin and get on with it. I've baited a bunch and enjoyed every minute, but all the sudden I want to pull the trigger.:rolleyes:

But I'm going with top operator as its too much money for a so so area with low results.

26 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

It happens....

I got a tip from a respectable agent about them closing Polar Bear for import to US; everyone else in the industry had the Feds keeping it open, just adjusting paperwork etc.

Well I booked first safari with the money and sure enough they closed it the following spring and I could have gone in under the wire to get a hide back.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda

Honest I think the whole Leopard import thing will be shut down soon; and instead of messing around I should drop the coin and get on with it. I've baited a bunch and enjoyed every minute, but all the sudden I want to pull the trigger.:rolleyes:

But I'm going with top operator as its too much money for a so so area with low results.

Yea, polar bear mounts are awesome. If I ever went to Africa, it would be for leopard. I hope you do it (and get one!)