Best work class Side by Side

Whats everyones favorite Utility SxS .. Looking to sell my boat this year and replace with a SxS.. Needing it for utility work, food plots etc..  I typically only buy Honda atvs or maybe Yamaha.. My wife's Grandfather has a 570 Ranger is a decent ride, but i'm not a Polaris fan.. owned them in the past, and im far from impressed.. Not sure if I will be going brand new or used route...  Honda Pioneer  or the Yamaha Viking have my vote fo far.. Also pics if you guys have them i would appreciate it.. 

Ive always been a quad guy but i think a SxS would suit a family a bit better.. 

Thanks in advance 

Bryan

• Like 1

Man I would hate the small interior of a SxS (especially climbing in and out) and its bigger size for wooded trails.  My ATV does everything I need for what you mention and a two up machine seats two comfortably.  Plus it will do 70mph if you want to joy ride!  Now if you plan to do a 4 person set up, I can understand the need.  Good luck with your decision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the side x side is a better opt than the wheeler for my needs. Ive had days when I'm working on a food plot and im climbing on and off the wheeler 100 times and it gets old, plus if my dad and I head out we each take a wheeler where we could take one machine and we could have conversations while driving. We have always owned either Honda or Yamaha, last 4 or 5 have been Yamaha and have had 0 issues. I'm sure either one will be great!

• Like 2

Friend has/had a John Deere gator 835... that was a really tough machine. We carried and pulled some pretty serious loads for many miles through the Quebec bush to get to camp.. I was very impressed.. he upgraded to a Can Am defender? With all the bells and whistles.(who knew they made power windows) . Jury is still out , whether  this  machine is as tough.

Edited by ncountry
  • Like 2

I picked up a polairs rzr 800 when both my young boys wanted to started heading to the woods with me at the same time. Best purchase I have made in a while. It's safe, stable, reliable and does a nice job hauling gear and people. The rzr has a wheel base like an ATV so it does awesome in the woods and on trails. I also added a jump seat with a five point harness so it allows for three riders.f9f77460b04025a8287b95135b2509d6.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Man I would hate the small interior of a SxS (especially climbing in and out) and its bigger size for wooded trails.  My ATV does everything I need for what you mention and a two up machine seats two comfortably.  Plus it will do 70mph if you want to joy ride!  Now if you plan to do a 4 person set up, I can understand the need.  Good luck with your decision.

When we meet youll see the size difference between us too! lol. 5'7 195. lol, i got room in most things in life lol  

Part of me still wants a quad. But I have 2 already, Yea id love another one but I think im ready for a side by side with the bed and normal seats and such.. Another foreman would suit me just well and its still a possibility .. but Im really wanting a SxS all of a sudden .. probably from using her grandfathers a few weeks back. If i bought a quad it would most certainly and only be another foreman lol.

I don't have any tight trails I would be taking it anymore.. everything i have access to is a logging rd or tractor path or field edge.. plus they'd make nice and more enjoyable joy rides across dirt roads and fields.  As Zag mentioned the on and off i constantly do is getting old.. Again, im not dead set, but more curious i suppose.. My quad has done basically all i have ever asked of it, and thats been a lot lol

Edited by LET EM GROW
  • Like 3

I have a couple of friends that run Polaris Rangers and honestly both they and I where impressed with how well they functioned on the same trails that we run our ATV's on. I know you said your not a Polaris fan but they are the only SxS that I have experience with. 

• Like 2

Wifes cousin bought the polaris and broke some part of the rear suspension the first day . Travis pastrana just made the switch from polaris to can am because the polaris kept breaking ,obviously he is a bit hard on his equipment. I've always been a polaris guy when it comes to snowmobiles and I probably would look at a polaris SxS. For work only I wouldn't want the lay back seating.

if you really want something you can "work"..   Kubota RTV..   There is no comparison if you really want a SxS you can work with..    Doesn't go 70 mph and doesn't have the suspension of a ranger, put power and usability are unmatched.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

I picked up a polairs rzr 800 when both my young boys wanted to started heading to the woods with me at the same time. Best purchase I have made in a while. It's safe, stable, reliable and does a nice job hauling gear and people. The rzr has a wheel base like an ATV so it does awesome in the woods and on trails. I also added a jump seat with a five point harness so it allows for three riders.f9f77460b04025a8287b95135b2509d6.jpg

MY cousin had a RZR and I will say they are fun.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I had a John Deere Gator - wasnt even 4 x4 and would go thru most everything on an old farm.  Liked the side by side ride and having two people much more comfortable. With a dump box.  Fun rigs.  Yeah might not go 70 but didnt want it too. And the dog can ride!  

Charlie and I - Gator.JPG

No suspension?

18 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

?  you mean the pic?  its on a steep hill.  Used to also carry rocks and tow a trailer on it for bigger brush etc.  Only 2 wheel drive and it got it done. 

I remember at one time there was a gator that had no suspension ,the city would let us use it to pick up debris in the parks and it was super rough ,to the point we would be laughing at how bad we got nocked around LOL. 

29 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I remember at one time there was a gator that had no suspension ,the city would let us use it to pick up debris in the parks and it was super rough ,to the point we would be laughing at how bad we got nocked around LOL. 

Oh gotcha. No this one was a nice ride. Lol

I have a couple of friends that had rzrs. They learned to hate them,breakdowns and replace a lot of suspension parts, bearings especially wore quickly ,one went to a kioti diesel 2 seater and the other went to a can am.. I've ridden in both and I would buy a can am if i was in the market.

I have also perked some interest in the kubota or John deere as well. As speed is out of the question, Im trying to slow down in life lol. Slow and easy is fine by me. Just want something built well, rugged and a workhorse.. That can treat me half as good as my honda foreman has.. 

Even though my stepson will probably do his best to tear it up on me lol

We run a Gator HPX615e at work, nice machine for the price.  We also have a couple Toro Workman’s...overpriced in my opinion. 

If I were buying I would go with a Can Am Defender.  I have been doing a ton of research for the past year, as I am saving for a Can Am myself.  Also, in Maine its a huge sport up there, I see nothing but Can Am’s, ATVs to SXS... hardly any Polaris, etc.

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 1

If you are sure you want a work machine, look the Kubota over. I have had mine since 2013. It has a metal hydraulic dump bed. I haul 1/3 cord loads of firewood out of the woods, pull a roller, cultipacker and drags doing food plot work, use it during deer season to take  out stands to be hung, haul deer out. It spends it's life on my 10acres, my brother's 80 acres across the road, and 80 acres next to that we lease.

it doesn't excite you to drive. I view it more as a "fast" tractor.

• Like 1

JD Gator,I  its a 620i,gas job.Bought it new in 2010,its been a workhorse for me, general use around home and hunting camp.Probably hauled 35-40 face cord of firewood per year out of the woods.Not a fast unit ,but has surely got the work done.I can honestly say i would definitely buy another one,100% satisfied

• Like 1

On 4/16/2020 at 10:13 AM, LET EM GROW said:

Whats everyones favorite Utility SxS .. Looking to sell my boat this year and replace with a SxS.. Needing it for utility work, food plots etc..  I typically only buy Honda atvs or maybe Yamaha.. My wife's Grandfather has a 570 Ranger is a decent ride, but i'm not a Polaris fan.. owned them in the past, and im far from impressed.. Not sure if I will be going brand new or used route...  Honda Pioneer  or the Yamaha Viking have my vote fo far.. Also pics if you guys have them i would appreciate it.. 

Ive always been a quad guy but i think a SxS would suit a family a bit better.. 

Thanks in advance 

Bryan

I'm gonna be in the same boat in the next year or two.  I keep thinking if a couple different things come together, a 4 seat, electric side by side would be awesome.

Edited by UpStateRedNeck
  • Like 1

I have a couple of friends that had rzrs. They learned to hate them,breakdowns and replace a lot of suspension parts, bearings especially wore quickly ,one went to a kioti diesel 2 seater and the other went to a can am.. I've ridden in both and I would buy a can am if i was in the market.
I don't trail ride .....just the occasional trips to my hunting leases to check cameras, set stands, and hunt. I do the routine maintenance and that will get me by.

When I buy another one I am pretty set on the Honda pioneer 4 seater. The back two seats fold down and create a pretty big bed area and does a nice job handling trails with 4 people.

• Like 1